Unfortunate Last Names
I've always thought my last name was pretty bad. And I mean that in the literal sense. 'Boese' means 'bad' (or angry) in German. But its meaning wouldn't matter much if only English-speaking people could pronounce it (it's 'burr-za', as if it had an 'r' in it... not 'boose'). But I shouldn't feel too sorry for myself, because this guy in Brazil, Mr. Reinhardt Adolfo Fuck, has me beat hands down. As far as I can tell, that really is his name. He must get endless jokes about it.
Identity/Imposters
Posted by The Curator on Thu May 20, 2004
I was a pilot for several years at an airline with another pilot, Larry Conquest. I always wonder how people felt about flying around with, "Captain Conquest." I sorta imagine he could only be rendered less credulous by showing up for work wear super-hero tights.

grin
Posted by Mark  in  San Francisco  on  Thu Jan 03, 2008  at  02:22 AM
hen i was at school there was, and for some reason to this day people still dont believe me when i tell them this, a lad called Mark Hunt.
there was also someone called Alan Hookem, whose dad was called Alf Hookem.
Posted by frazer  in  england  on  Mon Feb 04, 2008  at  06:51 AM
my last name has the initials P.B., which ironicaly I am allergic to peanuts and peanut butter and all products with peanuts. Still, it is better then having the initials P.B.J.
Posted by exmortisfangirl  on  Sat Feb 09, 2008  at  12:24 PM
I remember reading an article in wired written by this guy named Charles C.man. Which I found funny that no one actually noticed and sent comments to wired about this guys name. He was writing about Splogs and how his book was mentioned on one.
Posted by exmortisfangirl  on  Sat Feb 09, 2008  at  12:29 PM
My last name is Boese and we pronounce it "Bays". I have said all my life that it's being pronounced incorrectly, but no one wants to believe me. Oh, well. I'll marry soon and be able to change my name anyways.
Posted by M. Boese  in  Tucson, AZ  on  Fri Feb 15, 2008  at  01:49 PM
Seymore pussy
Posted by Matthew  in  Rhyl  on  Fri Feb 22, 2008  at  08:45 AM
My last name is Doolittle so i get a lot of Dr. Dolittle jokes (even though i spell mine differently than the movie). Also, my friends mom knows a woman who's last name is Butts. She named her kids Harry and Mary.
Posted by Katie  in  MI  on  Sat Apr 26, 2008  at  12:37 PM
My father was indeed named Speedy Nutz. His name was intended to be Robert but his delivery at birth came quickly, hence the name Speedy. He and his brother Jim were both dentists in the San Diego area but there is no truth to the rumor that there was another brother in the family named Fuzzy.
Posted by James Nutz  on  Thu May 01, 2008  at  03:13 PM
I had a teacher at school, Mr Slaughter. At another school, Mr. Butcher.
But the "best" name i enountered was when I was part of the team maintaining the electoral record at my local council - Dick Whacker. Again, wouldn't he use Richard?
I have also heard, although this may be just a story, of parents who cursed their son with the name of Hugh G. Rection.
Posted by Dale Irwin  in  Waiheke Island, New Zealand  on  Fri May 30, 2008  at  12:18 AM
That Dr. Speedy Nutz from Chula Vista is my grandfather. I was named after him. My name is in fact Speedy Nutz.
Posted by Speedy Nutz  on  Mon Jun 09, 2008  at  03:26 PM
I knew a girl in middle school whos last name was pronounced Beg-a-vitch. but the teachers would never write it for some reason.
Posted by Jeff  in  kentucky  on  Wed Jul 02, 2008  at  08:44 PM
There were football players in the world cup with the names of...
Bossio, Neto, De Harder, Grip, Wolff, Rough, Pardon, Angel, Van Heel, Popov (pop off), Robotti, Perfumo, Titchy, Jelinek (indeed), Chumpitaz, Bats, Springett, Boy, Junior, Costly, Oh, Rats and Gu Sang Bum.
Posted by A. Nonymous  in  Ireland  on  Thu Jul 10, 2008  at  02:10 PM
I had a middle school teacher named Harry "Burger", I don't remember the proper spelling of his last name, but it was basically hairy burger.
Posted by Jeff  in  Florida  on  Wed Aug 13, 2008  at  04:47 PM
double phallic name: i used to work with a guy,whos name was peter johnson.

and mr. & mrs.pig named their baby daughter,iona
Posted by whiterabbit  on  Wed Oct 01, 2008  at  02:57 PM
As for aptonyms, where I used to work, the IT manager was named Matt Hacker. My former boss had two managers named Mr. Spring and Mr. Poole when she was a secretary at the water department.
Posted by Spartacus  on  Thu Oct 02, 2008  at  05:22 AM
We have dicussed the name Aaron Scott (S......) last name- which would make the child's initials A.S.S. -

While this has a small chance of provoking teasing during childhood, we both agree that it would be FUNNY to be able to initial things ASS.

When the teacher has students grade one anothers' papers - "pass your paper to your neighbor on the right, and put your initials on the paper you are grading' -- ASS.

When signing a mortgage (many initial spots) ASS ASS ASS ASS. Or a tax return ASS.

We will probably actually do this. We both feel that if it was our initials spelling ASS - we would make it benefit us and have a sense of humor about it.
Posted by gwebel  in  california USA  on  Sun Oct 19, 2008  at  01:07 AM
A neighbor's daughter went to high school with a girl named Asshole` (Pronounced Ash-olay). [What kind of people do that to their own kids?]
Posted by Bruce  in  Virginia  on  Sat Oct 25, 2008  at  11:50 AM
OK, here's mine:

I knew a girl who's stepfather's name was Dick Swift.

I had 2 music teachers, Mr. Horne and Mr. Piccolo.

We had a math teacher named Ophelia Dick (TRUE!)

I knew a cardiac surgeon named Dr. Bloodwell.

I knew a PA named M. Butkus.

And, my last name (growing up in NY) was FUCHS (pronounced fewks).
Posted by Lori  in  Orlando  on  Tue Oct 28, 2008  at  02:39 PM
There was a boy in my 3rd grade class named Brent Sweeney.
I guess it was a lot more funny when I was 8.

And there was a couple that I graduated with.. Their names are Kristin Koch (coke) and Matt Bonar (bonner). Haha. I would have never even bothered if I were them.

And then there's my grandmother's name.. Marilyn Carolan.
Most of us Carolan's pronounce it "Care-oh-lin" but my grandma refuses to say anything but "Car-lin". I guess I don't blame her. [:
Posted by Jourdan Carolan  in  Iowa  on  Thu Dec 11, 2008  at  01:17 AM
I know a couple of gotta laugh at people... Sandy Muff out of Vernon BC, Anita Dick out of Manitoba, Spider Mann- my future sons name haha, Justin Uras of Calgary, Unis Aichelle another future child name of family, Collen Gay from Calgary, Jack Horse- reason for this one comes from the saying--- If jack helped you of the horse would you help jack off the horse?, Ken Moore I don't know where you live!, Richard Begone, and Yu Mi Wee Fite who was in a newspaper article.
Posted by Brad  in  Calgary  on  Sun Jan 25, 2009  at  11:00 AM
I've always liked the names:
Mike Oxmall and Mya solebernz.

Mike Million 2-18-2009
Posted by Mike Million  on  Wed Feb 18, 2009  at  05:28 PM
When I was in grade 8, I had a science teacher named Ms. Knott
To which everyone on the p.a. would pronounce MISS SNOT
Posted by Nicky B  in  Vancouver Canada  on  Sat Feb 21, 2009  at  04:04 PM
While singing in choir, I've come across a composer named "Richard deLongis."

I'm (somewhat) proud to say that I was the one in the choir who noticed this.
Posted by Alex  in  Hartford  on  Thu Feb 26, 2009  at  02:15 AM
I used to do business with a guy named Dick Blewitt. I think he used Dick instead of Richard just to watch people squirm when he said his name.
I also know not one, but two people named Larry Lawrence! Finally, I grew up with a Brian O'Brien.
Posted by Lee  in  Boston  on  Tue Mar 24, 2009  at  08:24 PM
tongue wink these r all hilarious
Posted by piper  in  Waterford  on  Tue Apr 21, 2009  at  11:16 AM
I remember a Harry Dong running for ILWU president a few years ago.
Posted by James Eduard  on  Mon May 18, 2009  at  07:42 PM
I hate even doing this because she is a friend...but she got married and goes by the name Ball-Savage. Also...her Dr's name is Dr.Finger.

One of my favorite is my dads Dr. Dr.Balldoc
Posted by Mike  on  Thu Jun 04, 2009  at  08:17 PM
It is a pity that the guy has such a name.Just like it.
Posted by Jess Holroyd  on  Sun Jul 12, 2009  at  11:18 PM
My middle school teacher was named Mr. Weed. Unfortunately his first name was Richard.
Posted by Heh  on  Tue Aug 11, 2009  at  04:19 AM
In Kindgergarden there was a boy named Dick Hunt. He was a junior and when I was married my husband worked for his father Dick Hunt, Sr. The wife would refer to them as "little Dick" and
"big Dick" and the two respond to their names. Who would name their son that?
Posted by Imagine That  in  Northern California  on  Mon Sep 14, 2009  at  07:43 PM
Comments: Page 21 of 24 pages ‹ First  < 19 20 21 22 23 >  Last ›