Wrinkled Egg

Brian Edwards has sent in these photos of a wrinkled egg. I've never heard of an egg getting wrinkled, but the pictures don't look photoshopped. The egg, however, does look a bit like a potato. Soon I'll have to start a new category for odd eggs, what with my previous posts about a spoon-shaped egg, and a tall-tail egg.

image image

Animals

Posted on Tue Aug 30, 2005

Comments

I also found this page while looking for an explanation of the wrinkled eggs we have been getting lately - again from only one hen out of about 30. So we know that it is not a hoax, but doesn't anyone out there know why it happens? If my hen needs something in her diet or if the other hens are hurting her or stressing her out or something, I would like to fix it.
Posted by Susan Miller  in  Johnson City, TN  on  Wed Jan 10, 2007  at  07:22 PM
We're down to only 3 chickens but 1 consistently lays wrinkled eggs similar to the picture. A little different every day, sometimes thick shelled sometimes thin. They are free range and I've tried diet change recently with no improvement. I'd also love to know why?
Posted by Kit  in  NM  on  Tue Jan 16, 2007  at  05:38 PM
Merck Vet Manual suggests that the wrinkled eggs may be due to a viral infectious bronchitis found in Oz and USA. Can view with a Google search. My chicken shows no signs of illness so I will take my chances, but folks with many birds better read-contageous and can be serious.
Posted by kit  in  NM  on  Tue Jan 16, 2007  at  06:06 PM
I have a chicken that's been laying eggs just like that for a while now. Mercks vet manual shows a picture of them also. It says they are a common result of infectious bronchitis in the chicken. But my chicken's been doing this for a long time and show's no sign of any disease, so I too was looking for another possible cause.
Posted by chickysue  in  oregon  on  Mon Jun 04, 2007  at  02:40 PM
I have two eggs in my fridge right now that look like this and the reason I found this page is because I'm looking for a cause. I have all different age chickens, and several different kinds of chickens. My chickens are healthy, their coop is spotless (I just cleaned and disinfected it last Sunday) and they eat very good. I wish I could figure this out...??
Posted by Kansas A  in  Lillooet BC Canada  on  Mon Jun 25, 2007  at  01:00 AM
I have taken my chickens to the vet after having shelless and crinkeled eggs. He gave them some baycox and I wormed them. After that the eggs were normal. I have bought my chickens from someone who did not immunize the chicks against Merecks Desease. It is not possible for a small breeder to do this, as the serum is only available in larger quantities and would not be cost effective. The Vet told me, that misshapen eggs are always a sign of some disease or other.

Kind regards

Mascha Chong
Posted by Mascha Chong  in  Sydney Australia  on  Fri Sep 14, 2007  at  07:32 PM
The egg is real and natural. I was searching the net to find out why one of my chickesn keeps laying these very strange shapped (wrinkled) eggs. I cam accross this. And I laughed as each person tried to think of how a Human could make this up. Well the kid is holding a genuine egg. If you would like I can take a pic. of mine then crack it open for you and take another pic. I collected it yesterday from my hens.
Posted by Brandy Alvis  in  Louisiana  on  Thu Sep 27, 2007  at  09:03 AM
I have 22 Chickens
12 are Road Island Reds. I have no idea which chicken is laying this egg but after reading these last few comments I am worried. We are very happy about our chickens and take Very good care of them. Any ideas how to figure out which one is laying the eggs, it is not every day and the degree of wrinkle varies.
Posted by Brandy Alvis  in  Louisiana  on  Thu Sep 27, 2007  at  09:12 AM
you should take a baggy put vinegar in it, then take an egg, put it in the vinegar. next let it set in the bag for 4 or 5 days. take it out put it in a bowl. then take a pict of hiw wrinkly it is then.

that will get some comments posted.

i did this as a science experment when i was in school
Posted by rudy frost  on  Wed Feb 27, 2008  at  05:46 PM
I too have one of these eggs. Gathered just last night. And yep, I googled wrinkled eggs and found this forum! grin

They show up in our flock from time to time with no real regularity. We can go a week or more with no wrinkled eggs showing up and then one will pop out.

In the 4 months since our flock of 25 started laying we've had about 5 or 6. That is out of an average of 115 eggs a week. We give them their antibiotics in water about once a month.

Everyone seems healthy, no coughing, no watery eyes. The one main problem we have but can't get away from is huge amounts of rain in the winter here in western Washington state. We clean out the coop probably about once every 3 weeks or so, but with each day put down more hay over the days droppings. Outside we put down fresh hay as well because it just seems creepy to have the poor birds out roaming around in their own goo and mud.

Once I get blogger to take it (it's acting weird at the moment) You can see my wrinkled egg on my blog at http://heather-sky-studio.blogspot.com

Thank you all for sharing your comments and observations here!
Posted by Christine  in  Washington State  on  Mon Mar 30, 2009  at  01:03 PM
There was an egg that looked very similar to the one above in a carton of eggs from the store the other day! We bought it and took it home so we could show everyone. I guess it somehow got past the sorters. I was a little wary about eating it but I guess we will. I'll report back if anyone gets sick.
Posted by Angela  in  Virginia  on  Mon Apr 13, 2009  at  02:36 PM
That IS odd it made it into the store. I will say we have eaten ours and had no trouble whatsoever cheese
Posted by Christine  in  Washington State  on  Mon Apr 13, 2009  at  03:33 PM
I have had this happen to me with one of my hens once. It is true!
Posted by Dwight Porter  in  Pickerington, OH  on  Fri May 29, 2009  at  07:51 AM
it's true. wrinkled eggs can happen with the chicken has bronchitis. google it if you don't believe me.
Posted by chuck  in  california  on  Mon Mar 08, 2010  at  09:20 PM
We just found an egg that is wrinkled just like the one in the picture. would like to know what causes it
Posted by carla  in  colorado  on  Mon May 03, 2010  at  03:30 PM
definitly real..i just ate one this morning just like one in picture..mmm lovely
Posted by jim  in  u.k  on  Mon Oct 18, 2010  at  03:40 AM
I have one chicken also laying these oval shaped wrinkly eggs.
Posted by Marilyn Doty  in  McMinnville TN  on  Sat Mar 12, 2011  at  11:25 AM
it's definitely real.
We got one yesterday - it's very weird.
Posted by Andreas  in  England  on  Thu Mar 17, 2011  at  07:58 AM
We have a chicken that lays eggs just like this photo. The egg is perfectly normal inside.
Posted by Warrenhouse  on  Tue Apr 19, 2011  at  01:53 PM
Comments: Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2