Swiffer Wet Jet Pet Rumor
image Teresa wrote in to ask about the truth of that email rumor going around alleging that the Swiffer Wet Jet cleaning fluid contains antifreeze and can be fatal to pets (you can read the full text of that email rumor here). Swiffer itself addresses this rumor on its corporate website, so it can be pretty easily debunked. It's totally false. But since I'm on the subject of Swiffers, I've got to note something about them that I find incredibly annoying... how you can only use Swiffer brand cleaning fluid with the Wet Jet. And, of course, the Swiffer brand fluid ain't cheap. Out of frustration, I ended up carving a hole in the top of the Swiffer brand bottle and pouring generic cleaning fluid into it, but that didn't work well at all since the fluid kept splashing up out of the bottle whenever I moved it too vigorously. So yes, Swiffer may be innocent of killing pets, but in my books they're still guilty of selling overpriced cleaning fluid. Yeah, I could stop using the Wet Jet entirely, but I don't want to do that because I like how the Wet Jet works. I just don't like being forced to buy only Swiffer brand fluid to use in it. (Sorry about the rant).
AnimalsEmail Hoaxes
Posted by The Curator on Mon May 10, 2004

I cannot find a way to replace the batteries in my Swiffer Wetjet. I need instructions please. Thanks
Posted by Peggy Owens  in  Anderson, SC  on  Sun Feb 10, 2008  at  09:24 PM
Todd! thanks for the word on the batteries for the swiffer. It was right on the floor where you said it would be. You are a genius :?
Posted by Richard Oldham  in  GEORGIA  on  Mon Feb 18, 2008  at  01:10 PM
Peggy, did Todd's swiffer battery advise help you? It was so awesome how it affected so many people over the past few years. Wild stuff. At least it works again. richard
Posted by Richard Oldham  in  GEORGIA  on  Mon Feb 18, 2008  at  01:12 PM
yes you idiot,it helped a lot of people fix there wetjets. now we can all continue to use this deadly product, and keep killing our pets never mind those who have babies crawling around the house.
Posted by Tanya  on  Tue Feb 19, 2008  at  03:02 PM
Thank you for posting this - we couldn't replace the batteries (pushing all sorts of buttons).
We thought you all were crazy to think the battery pack could have fallen off.
Turns out - it was on the floor where we keep the mops.
Thanks!
Posted by Lindsay and Patrick  in  Saint Louis  on  Fri Feb 22, 2008  at  01:07 PM
For those of you looking for an alternative, METHOD makes a similar product to Wet Jet, only it has a separate bottle of fluid that you just squirt on the floor (so usign thier products is optional from the start and the cleaning pads are machine washable. Since all of METHOD's products are biodegradable & "green", I doubt (or never heard of) there is any danger to pets. You can purchase this item on METHOD's website or from Target. I wish I had bought one of these, but I have a swifter wet jet that I refill with Vinegar & Water and I crochet machine washable pads for my unit.
Posted by Monica  in  Lexington, KY  on  Sat Mar 01, 2008  at  10:52 AM
For all of you who are cutting holes in the bottom of the containers just take the bottle of cleaner and use a pair of pliers to take the top off and refill it just like normal put the top back and and you have a new bottle of cleaner. I've been doing it for months. Works well.
Posted by Rachel  in  South Carolina  on  Tue Apr 08, 2008  at  02:28 PM
Finally fixed the swifter. Battery compartment was right where you said it would be. Never even thought to chech there. Now I can replace all the screws.
Posted by John  in  New Jersey  on  Sun Apr 20, 2008  at  08:38 PM
HAH! Todd really does deserve a job at Proctor and Gabmble. My battery compartment fell out too and voila there it was in my trunk (I recently moved into a new place and shoved it back there for safe keeping).
Posted by Jana  in  Syracuse  on  Thu Jun 05, 2008  at  12:45 PM
My derm cae true wiffer wet jet is the future ceep up the good work all of you thank you very mush you made my derm com true
Posted by Norbert Duquette  in  Midland ONT Cannda  on  Wed Jun 18, 2008  at  10:35 PM
Try folding over an old face cloth and sewing around the outside to use as a replacement for the swiffer pad. Then you can simply throw them in the washer. Also, I use a cap full of Pine-sol in the water as a replacement for thee swiffer fluid. Works great.
Posted by Steve  in  Florida  on  Tue Jul 08, 2008  at  01:57 PM
Todd ... two years later, you are the man. Many thanks. You will live forever on this website.
Posted by P Murtagh  on  Mon Aug 04, 2008  at  12:32 AM
-- NOTE ___ YOU CAN SHOVE A SMALL STURDY FUNNEL THRU THE LITTLE HOLE AT THE RUBBER TOP OF THE BOTTLE AND PUT IN SOME OTHER CLEANING FLUID. LESS TOXIC IF POSSIBLE... THE HOLE RECLOSES NICELY AND WONT SPILL.
Posted by nanena  on  Wed Aug 20, 2008  at  02:45 PM
LOL OH MY GOSH we are rolling on the floor laughing. We have ben trying to figure out the battery changing process for days.......at one point had 3 male adults challenging one another. Just sure that one could out smart the other in such a simple task!! While everyone was getting overly frustrated & using outdoor voices I went to the website. Immediatley checked where we store it and BAM...sure enough...LOL-LOL-LOL there it was! We all laughed histerically after I told them about all the stories here. THAT WAS JUST WAY TO FUNNY!!!!
Posted by Candie  in  Lakeland, FL  on  Sat Aug 23, 2008  at  01:09 PM
Propylene glycol is in EVERYTHING. Your deoderant, your hand cream (which your dog then licks off) Yes, swiffer is a molecule or two away, although my dog, cats, rat, children and husband are all fine. You could literally eat off my floors (unfortunately that is due to the amount of food my kids spill) and so I know the dog has had exposure (before I got all freaked out about the chemicals, that is) So, if you are concerned about antifreeze, you are going to really need to overhaul your whole house. I'm swiching to another more natural, environmentally responsible cleaner or a homemade recipe. Thank you all for the tips on how to refil the container because I do love the way the wet jet works.
Posted by Mary  in  NH  on  Tue Sep 16, 2008  at  12:45 PM
Hello all
I was also irritated with the fact you can only buy the swiffer cleaner for the wet jet. BS in my opinion!!! I started cutting a small hole in the top, then pouring a little diluted bleach (&water;) in the top. We have tile floors in the downstairs of our house, and with a dog and a 3 year old the floors can get pretty dirty! I always put a old rag, or cotton ball where the hole is so the water doesn't slosh out of the top all over the floor.
Its much better than paying almost $8 for the refills!!!
: D
Posted by Emery  in  Myrtle Beach  on  Wed Sep 17, 2008  at  01:25 PM
OMG you have to be a real friggin IDOT to not know how to change batteries in a swiffer.
What is this world coming to
Posted by Kathy  in  NYNY  on  Wed Sep 17, 2008  at  01:50 PM
I hope this will ease some of your minds. I have 3 dogs, 2 doxies and an Australian Cattledog. They have the run of the house inside and out through the doggie door. I have used Swiffer since it came out, I have one of the older mops. My doxies are 13 and the Cattledog is 6. They have walked, slept, eaten treats and licked the tile cleaned after use with Swiffer. Each year when they all go to the vet for their annual physical, their labs are perfectly normal and they have never been sick. For those of you that feel Swiffer has harmed your pet I am truly sorry, I would have as many dogs as was legal in the city if I could afford to feed and vaccinate them. They are just like my children now that mine are grown and have moved out. I am waiting with excitement for the birth of my first granddaughter in Feb. She will be my first grandchild period. Anyway back to the Swiffer, if you don't care for it, pierce the bottle,dump out the Swiffer and add a cleaner you like. It should put your mind at ease with your pets. Have a good one!!
Posted by Jan Shryer  in  Springfield, Missouri  on  Mon Sep 29, 2008  at  08:54 AM
Hi, I was trying to figure out the batteries on the swiffer wet jet for an hour and was ready to throw the damn thing out the window! After reading your posts I looked under the stairs and there it was the batteries on the floor. I was reading the posts and thought everyone on here was nuts. Well I'm nuts for not listening. Thanks for the help. Mark
Posted by Mark  in  Boston  on  Wed Oct 01, 2008  at  09:08 PM
and add another big thank you to todd!
Posted by Kaycie  in  Jersey  on  Tue Oct 21, 2008  at  07:52 PM
well ino 4 a fact that antefreeze will kill a dog rather quickly.my friend at work told me his dog licked it up off his garrage fllor n died the next day.i just bought a swiffer and after hearing all thes complaints im not taking any chances.i will contineu to use the swiffer but, i will use other cleaning solution.
Posted by big gene  in  p.a.  on  Fri Oct 24, 2008  at  08:45 AM
This is a reply to swiffer pet jet rumor. No where in my blog did I mention that there was antifreeze in liquid Swiffer. I know the mixture of chemicals is close, but Swiffer's chemical make up does not kill animals. Do you think a company that large would make a cleaner that kills dogs and cats? They would have to be physcotic. I was simply giving everyone the example I had been through with Swiffer and my dogs. I didn't mean to upset anyone.
Posted by Janet Shryer  in  Springfield, Missouri  on  Fri Oct 24, 2008  at  09:19 AM
and about the price on all the swiffer products,if frank lucas can sell a better product then anyone else , at half the price n still be a billionare why cant swiffer
Posted by big gene  in  p.a.  on  Fri Oct 24, 2008  at  03:11 PM
Yup, batteries on the floor, like everyone else. Thank you Todd!!!
Posted by AC  in  boston, MA  on  Sun Nov 09, 2008  at  03:59 PM
Yep, my battery compartment was on the floor in my laundry room!
Posted by Jenny  in  Texas  on  Wed Nov 19, 2008  at  05:58 PM
I have two dachshunds and I've been using the wet jet for over a year. No problems whatsoever.

And I too have to thank Todd for making me look for the battery compartment!
Posted by Michael  on  Thu Nov 27, 2008  at  12:34 PM
Todd...you are the man (and google of course)
Posted by Chris  in  Vancouver  on  Sat Jan 10, 2009  at  02:18 PM
GEEZ LOUIZ...I'M TOTALLY CONFUSED ABOUT THIS :
Swiffer Wet Jet Pet Rumor THINGY
BUT DID LOOK UP SEVERAL SITES
THE USPCA IS FROM 2004 IT SAYS THE FOLLOWING:

ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center Responds to Swiffer Wet Jet Rumor
Friday, May 7, 2004

Veterinary Toxicologists regard allegations of liver failure and death from household cleaner as unfounded.

Media Contacts: Dana Farbman, CVT
(217)-337-9751
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

(Urbana, IL) May 6, 2004 -- Veterinary toxicologists at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center have reviewed the claim described in a widely distributed email alleging a relationship between the use of Swiffer Wet Jet and liver failure in a dog. The email alleges that exposure to the ingredients in Swiffer Wet Jet caused a dog's death.

The Swiffer Wet Jet system contains water (90-100%), propylene glycol n-propyl ether or propylene glycol n-butyl ether and isopropyl alcohol (1-4%). These ingredients are safe to use around pets when used according to label directions and would not cause liver damage at product concentrations. Propylene glycol n-butyl/propyl ether differs significantly from ethylene glycol, the potentially toxic ingredient present in most antifreeze products. Ethylene glycol is frequently implicated in causing renal failure in dogs following antifreeze ingestion. Propylene glycol n-propyl ether and propylene glycol n-butyl ether are very safe ingredients at levels used in cleaning products and do not cause kidney or liver failure.

AND STILL I WAS NOT CONVINCED SO I DID SOME HOMEWORK ON THE CHEMICALS- ALL FACTS
CHECK OUT THIS SITE :
CHEMINFO:
***** http://www.intox.org/databank/documents/chemical/prpglnme/cie178.htm - 53k
*****
Propylene glycol mono-n-propyl ether
Propylene glycol n-propyl ether. Propylene glycol monopropyl ether .... First Aid Comments: Consult a doctor and/or the nearest Poison Control Centre for ...

IT IS A CHEMICAL THAT HAS PROPERTIES WHEN MIXED WITH OTHER CHEMICALS EX:
WAX ON YOUR FLOORS
OTHER CLEANING AGENTS ON THE FLOOR OR IN THE AIR
INCLUDED IN THE STUDIES IS THIS SMALL FACT, IF INGESTED ;
Ingestion:
In acute lethality studies, high doses caused central nervous system (CNS) depression and some evidence of kidney injury.(1, unconfirmed) In another acute lethality study, rats showed signs of CNS depression (sluggishness, an unsteady gait and prostration) at 1770 mg/kg (cited as 2.0 mL/kg) PGnMPE and above. Autopsy showed a reddened glandular stomachs and dark red lungs. No abnormalities were seen in surviving animals.(3)

SO I SAY, THE HELL WITH SWIFFER......ALL THEY CARE ABOUT IS MAKING MONEY !! NOT YOU OR I !!
WHAT RHYMES WITH SWIFFER..........STIFFER
SO I'D LIKE TO NOW CALL THIS PRODUCT.......

STIFFER PET JET.....KILLS BETTER THAN A MOP AND BUCKET, GUARANTEED !!
Posted by MO  in  USA  on  Tue Jan 27, 2009  at  12:51 PM
EEZ LOUIZ...I'M TOTALLY CONFUSED ABOUT THIS :
Swiffer Wet Jet Pet Rumor THINGY
BUT DID LOOK UP SEVERAL SITES
THE USPCA IS FROM 2004 IT SAYS THE FOLLOWING:

ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center Responds to Swiffer Wet Jet Rumor
Friday, May 7, 2004

Media Contacts: Dana Farbman, CVT
(217)-337-9751
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CHECK OUT THIS SITE :
CHEMINFO:
*****
Propylene glycol mono-n-propyl ether

IT IS A CHEMICAL THAT HAS PROPERTIES WHEN MIXED WITH OTHER CHEMICALS EX:
WAX ON YOUR FLOORS
OTHER CLEANING AGENTS ON THE FLOOR OR IN THE AIR
INCLUDED IN THE STUDIES IS THIS SMALL FACT, IF INGESTED ;
Ingestion:

WHAT RHYMES WITH SWIFFER..........STIFFER
SO I'D LIKE TO NOW CALL THIS PRODUCT.......

STIFFER PET JET.....KILLS BETTER THAN A MOP AND BUCKET, GUARANTEED !!
Posted by MO  in  USA  on  Tue Jan 27, 2009  at  12:52 PM
SORRY ABOUT DOUBLE POST~ PURELY A MISTAKE
I DON'T KNOW I HAD JUST COME BACK FROM MY DAUGHTERS HOUSE SHE USES THE STIFFER......MAYBE I INJESTED SOME AND IT'S GOING TO WORK ON MY NUERONS CAUSING ALS TO SET IN, MY NERVOUS SYSTEM OVERLOADED AND HIT THE DANG POST A SECOND TIME BECAUSE I COULD NOT REMEMBER THE FIRST TIME !!....
LOL- ONLY KIDDING !!
Posted by MO  in  USA  on  Tue Jan 27, 2009  at  12:58 PM
Comments: Page 3 of 5 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 >