Ronaldinho Nike Ad
Status: Undetermined (but I'm guessing fake)
image Nike has a new ad featuring Brazilian soccer star Ronaldinho Gaucho. In the ad Ronaldinho puts on a pair of Nikes, juggles the ball a few times, and then kicks the ball towards the goal so that it hits the crossbar and bounces directly back to him. He does this four times in a row. And it's all shot in a single take. This has inspired a lot of discussion on the net, because it's hard to believe anyone could be skilled enough to do this. In an article posted on the BBC (in Portuguese... I read it via AltaVista Translate) Ronaldinho swears that the scene is real, although the reporters interviewing him refuse to believe him. Given that it's an ad, I would assume it's fake, since one should always assume that what you see in ads is bogus, unless it's proven otherwise.
AdvertisingPhotos/VideosSports
Posted by The Curator on Mon Dec 05, 2005

Of course, if he was actually trying to get the ball into the goal, then it wouldn't be such a great display of skill after all. . .

"Dang it! Four tries in a row and he still can't make a goal! And we're all out of film! Oh well, we'll just go with what we've got."
Posted by Accipiter  on  Tue Dec 06, 2005  at  12:17 AM
I don't know if total skepticism is warranted here, especially if the star of the commercial says it's real. There was a Tiger Woods ad where he juggles a golf ball with a golf club. That ad turned out to be real though it certainly didn't look so, and it just took a lot of takes to get the one that was used.
Posted by J  on  Tue Dec 06, 2005  at  04:33 AM
It
Posted by Harald Grausam  in  Hamburg  on  Tue Dec 06, 2005  at  04:41 AM
Nop!
Ronaldinho Ga
Posted by Brz  in  S  on  Tue Dec 06, 2005  at  09:14 AM
Isn't this like the powerade commercials where Mike Vick throws a football out of the stadium, and Lebron James makes about two or three 3/4 court shots in a row?

Sorry, don't think any soccer player could hit the cross bar that many times from that distance.
Posted by coit  on  Tue Dec 06, 2005  at  11:37 AM
I can do that on any given day.....lol
Posted by X  in  McKinney, TX  on  Tue Dec 06, 2005  at  12:45 PM
I would think it's fake... If it were real, I'm sure the cameraman wouldnt conveniently back away from the field like he did. I mean, when the ball hits the crossbar, you can barely see it anymore.
Posted by Andrew  on  Tue Dec 06, 2005  at  04:01 PM
With over 50 years watching football:
1) In the 1940's and even into the 1950's, players used to bet on who hitted the POSTS/CROSSBARS more times during a match, just to get the public "excited". The most they got was three to five per game.
2) Ronaldinho has super skills, but ...
3) ... with ROUND posts/crossbar it is close to impossible to return four consecutive shots back to him. It is a matter of a fraction of an inch variance ...
Square posts/crossbar may still exist. Then, it will be just impossible for that to happen due to the "flat" (right) angles.
4) There is a giver, kind of intentionally suggested at the end: the sound track ... watch and listen carefully.

My vote: I love Ronaldinho, but it is fake, at least part of it.

Thank you!
Posted by The Legend  in  Las Vegas, Nevada - U.S.A.  on  Tue Dec 06, 2005  at  07:37 PM
The juggling a golf ball on a club is not big deal I have a friend that can do that, but as for this the guy saying himself that it was real means nothing. That just means he wants to make himself look even better than he is.
Posted by tim  on  Wed Dec 07, 2005  at  10:32 AM
The Celtic player Jimmy "Jinky" Johnston whilst warming up for a league game in the 1970's was seen to do something very similar. Whilst in front of the opposing fans, he placed the ball in the area and took a shot at goal. When he hit the bar and the ball bounced back to him, all the fans jeered and laughed to much delight. He then placed the ball in the exact same place and proceeded to do this feat another three times, now to the rapturous applause of the opposition's fans. This man would have made it in any team.
Posted by sconny botland  in  Scotland  on  Fri Dec 09, 2005  at  09:18 AM
You guys obviously underestimate the skill that these players have, as well as don't follow soccer too closely.

For example...quite a long time ago 2 teams were playing a match, and one of the greats (i wanna say pele) was in the game. He was given a free kick, with which he placed on goal, and it hit the upper nintey (literally, hit the bend in the post). He was discouraged and later got yet another free kick at around the same place. He once again, placed it right on the upper ninety. He told the refs that the goal was not regulation sized, they measured the goal, and indeed it was smaller than regulation. That just shows how much practice goes into these skills the players have. If someone puts forth the practice, and knows exactly what a perfect shot feels like, to the point that they can tell when a goal is not of regulation size, then I think this Ronaldinho commercial is quite believeable. I do agree with whomever above me saying that the crossbar is round, which it is, which owuld make it very difficult, but i would not put it past some of the players to day. Soccer is there likfe. They've been playing for years and years.

Take into consideration, those of you that have jobs. I'm sure your jobs take some kind of expertise, and you can tell when something isn't right. Well, soccer is these guys job. That's all they do, besides indorsement commericals. If you played soccer day in and day out for 10 years straight, and even before that played regularly, you would become extraodinary, to the point that it is hard for people some people to disbelieve.

I, myself, believe that the video is real.
Posted by Soccerman  in  US  on  Mon Dec 19, 2005  at  10:07 PM
sorry but it's done with cgi.
here is a capture from the video:

Posted by arizona45  on  Sun Jan 01, 2006  at  01:07 PM
Hey arizona45, that shot isn't in the video, at least not in the video on youtube.com. looks like you painted the nike ad over the ball yourself.

why the debate if nike admitted only two were real?

as for the Tiger ad (post #2), that was only the 2nd or 3rd take.
Posted by david  in  chicago  on  Sun Jan 08, 2006  at  07:20 PM
FC Barcelona
I am Messi of the Barcelona team. And I am gravely disappointed with the dibelief everyone has for the Ronaldinho. I have watched Ronaldinho play in practice and have learned some stuff from him. We played this game called Retribul, where we hit targets after every training, and the crossbar is a vary logical target, even the poles that hang the spanish flag we hit balls off of. Ronaldinho can hit the ball off the crossbar 9 times in row by volley, 14 times in a row by spot kick 30 yrds out. I can do almost the same, with repetition comes Perfection....
FC Barcelona
Posted by Messi  in  Barcelona, Espana  on  Tue Jan 10, 2006  at  03:14 PM
I believe in Ronaldinho, since he can do something unbelieveable. So, I believe that the trick is real.
Posted by lalzarzova  in  chennai  on  Wed Jan 18, 2006  at  01:21 AM
It's great, it's great, it's great,it's great,it's great,it's great,it's great,it's great,it's great,it's great,it's great,it's great,it's great,it's great,it's great,it's great,it's great,it's great,and its RONALDINHO
Posted by lalzarzova  in  chennai  on  Wed Jan 18, 2006  at  01:22 AM
Yea..sure "Messi" your english is so good. Man, speak spanish and send me a tape of you speaking it.

As for the video, it's a fake, you can clearly see it in the ball.
Posted by Gio  in  Italy  on  Thu Jan 26, 2006  at  07:26 PM
always
Posted by aman  in  south  on  Wed Feb 08, 2006  at  05:38 AM
ya i do agree with soccerman.u people some times doubt wat a player can do and ronaldinho is not a small player.he is the greatest and will go down in the history as the top 3 players in the world.i have heard many people say that the ad is fake .common man.the camera was taken back so that the total view can be seen.if it was not taken back then u all would not have been able to see the ball hiting and cuming back.and ronadinho himself have said that it was not fake.loveronaldinho love football and not soccer.i hate people saying soccer.
Posted by ken 4 faps  in  delhi  on  Fri Feb 10, 2006  at  06:26 AM
I can believe either way, fake or not fake. But as far as that screen capture goes, that doesn't prove that the ball is a fake, all it proves is that nike used cgi to cover up whatever advertisements were already there and they accidentally covered part of the ball. You'll notice that you can see the original advertisement's red color on the right side of the Nike advert.
Posted by 911isajoke  on  Thu Mar 02, 2006  at  10:06 PM
you cannot dispute the works of a master.ronaldinho is a master and is extremely good.
Posted by elvis dhlandhlara  in  zimbabwe  on  Fri Mar 03, 2006  at  05:29 AM
Guys, Ronaldinho is an awesome player and I do not question his skills, however anybody who has played the game would know the level of precision required to achieve something like this. I have no doubt that on separate takes, he can do just what the clip shows and put together its what we see. However I not so sure it can be done 4 times in a row. For me what gives it away is the speed of the ball. From the moment it leaves his foot to the moment it returns back to him, it does not seem to loose any momentum and seems to have an uniform speed. That my friends, defies the laws of physics, just like Ronaldinho defies the boundaries of what is possible in football wink
Posted by tuism  in  AUS  on  Tue Mar 21, 2006  at  01:45 AM
the boy real GOOD on doubt about it check his earlier years.he s also the best thing since PELE(THE GOD OF FOOTBALL).brazil still continues to produce the best players for example jean carlos he s 14-16yrs old by now and he can rival ronaldinho in the near feature
Posted by simplysmoothe  in  trinidad  on  Sat Mar 25, 2006  at  02:32 PM
I've been playing ball for 27 years now; certainly not at Ronaldinho's level, but I have enough experience (as do several of you) to know that what is depicted in the video is very unlikely. Yes, Ronaldinho is amazing - my favorite player. But still. As mentioned above, it would be astronomically unlikely to hit the round crossbar in such a way, consecutively, to return the ball. I saw a second video showing how there was a guy using a prop - a soccer ball attached to a long pole. The prop guy (in an all-green material outfit) would simulate the ball hitting off the crossbar, it would return to Ronaldinho, who would then pretend to kick it, where the process would repeat. It is implied that the prop guy and the pole attached to the ball were later airbrushed out. With modern technology it's hard to tell what might be legit or spoofed.
Posted by Rastaman  in  Atlanta, GA  on  Thu Mar 30, 2006  at  09:45 AM
Ronaldiho is right because he does what's impossible
Posted by ali  in  Asia  on  Fri Mar 31, 2006  at  06:00 AM
i believe in ronaldinho. He can do more than this.

my vote: true
Posted by ali  in  Asia  on  Fri Mar 31, 2006  at  06:06 AM
The key point is the one raised previously about getting the ball to come back to him.

I can completely believe that he can hit the crossbar four times in a row. For a player of his quality that is not in doubt. However, beause crossbars are round the ball bounces off at different angles and speeds. On each occassion he barely moves in order to collect the ball as it returns to him. Getting the ball to bounce back to the same spot four times in a row is impossible.

I think what they've done is set up a ball cannon behind the goal that will fire balls to where he is standing. Then he kicks the ball towards the cross bar, probably hitting it because he's great. Another ball is then fired from behind the goal. The original ball is removed from the shot as is the ball cannon.

I'm not taking anything away from him. He is the second best player in the world (Thierry Henry being the best) and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he juggled each new ball that was fired to him from the cannon then hit the cross-bar with it. It is just that the woodwork is always unpredictable and it never bounces back to where you expect it to.
Posted by Gooner Pete  in  London  on  Fri Mar 31, 2006  at  06:49 AM
When he was a kid George Best used to practise his shooting by aiming to hit the bar - so he wouldn't have to chase the ball every time he took a shot. Ronaldinho's natural ability exceeds that of any player I have seen - Best and Maradona included - if anyone can perfrom a feat like this, he can.
Posted by JC  in  Ire  on  Tue Apr 11, 2006  at  06:27 PM
although I don't doubt a player's ability to hit a crossbar(i can usually do it from about 25-30 yrds out), I've been playing soccer on round posts for about 18 years now and very VERY few balls hit off of a round cross bar and have that kind of arch to come back to a player...Ive seen it done (and ive done it) but four in a row is just unrealistic

also...nike admited that ronaldinho made 2 shots off the cross bar successrully but didnt say anything about the ball returning, or ronalidinho catching it and continuing to juggle

and...why would nike say that the kid made 2 when ronaldinho said he made all ovem???

the answer...they never specified..look into it

oh and...soccer...football...its a word..get over yourself ken
Posted by Apalm  on  Tue Apr 18, 2006  at  02:16 AM
This is pretty much a dead thread, but I figured I show a video I found of someone doing just what Tiger did...The point made is that nothing is difficult if you know how to do it:

Posted by TD  in  York, PA  on  Fri Apr 21, 2006  at  05:21 PM
Comments: Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >