Jaleel White Commits Suicide
Status: Hoax
The latest false celebrity death rumor going around concerns Jaleel White (best known for playing Urkel on Family Matters). Supposedly he committed suicide by shooting himself in the head. This rumor is old. It was first posted on my site over half a year ago (in the comments to my post titled 'Is this Jaleel White?'). It's no truer now than it was then. I have no idea why it's begun circulating again, but here are the main highlights from the hoax AP report:
LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Jaleel White, who played 'nerdy' neighbor Steve Urkel on "Family Matters" found dead Monday. He was 29 years old.
White was pronounced dead on arrival after admission to an LA hospital early Monday morning. The death is being investigated as a suicide.
Born Jaleel Ahmad White, he began his career at the age of three acting in television commercials, before landing guest spots on shows such as "The Jeffersons" and "Mr. Belvedere." It was in 1989 that White landed the role that would make him famous, playing wacky neighbor 'Steve Urkel' on the ABC program "Family Matters."
Following the cancellation of "Family Matters" in 1997, friends claim White became obsessed with the character, and grew despondent, despite further successes as star and producer of the UPN sitcom "Grownups", and as a writer for NBA.com
Neighbor and friend, Bradley Spencer alerted police after hearing what he described as "a loud bang" coming from White's Los Angeles apartment.
Authorities state that upon entering the home they discovered a young African-American male with an apparently self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. Also found was a note, which read simply "Did I do that?", a popular catchphrase from the show.
Like I said, this was all posted on my site over half a year ago. Which means that when people did a Google search for info about Jaleel White committing suicide, my site was one of the first they found. Because of this, my page about Jaleel White started to receive huge amounts of traffic. So much traffic that it was not only slowing the entire site down, but was also slowing other sites that were located on the same server at my web host. Nevin, the technical guy at my web host, has been exchanging emails with me about it all day. What we've done to try to ease the strain on the server is to automatically route people visiting the comments for that old Jaleel White thread to my page about false celebrity death rumors (which is a static page and therefore uses less of the cpu).
CelebritiesDeath
Posted by The Curator on Mon Jun 05, 2006
like the mortal words of swiper the fox from dora
the explorer:AW MAN!he is married and got kids,i am sooooooo over him.oh well back to corey haim if
he is not married.

confused
Posted by c.  on  Wed Aug 02, 2006  at  11:46 AM
hey jw i am your biggest fan i am glad to her you are not dead i have every thing of yours i love you jw wight keep livin yo life much luv mizzysofly
Posted by Mizzy  in  PK  on  Wed Aug 02, 2006  at  06:12 PM
man, one of my roomates told me that he died because of suicide. He said that one of the guys at school told him that jaleel committed suicide...hah guess its all false...well better go tell him the good news...
Posted by shado  in  NC  on  Thu Aug 03, 2006  at  08:21 PM
Funny. I have been living with that beleive for at least 5 to 8 years, and today (04 August 2006) I found out is an urban legend, probably a hoax started by the "death" of the sitcom itself, not the actors in it. smile Just watched an episode and came to google to find out that this rumor gets repeated periodically. Good news anyway
Posted by Ces  in  Spain  on  Sun Aug 06, 2006  at  08:20 AM
People need to quit. If Jaleel White really wanted to kill himself he would have done it long time ago. People need to grow up and get real that man has too much to live for and besides to me he is sexy as hell. I like a man with a good sense of humor and sexy eyes.
Posted by Adrianne  in  michigan  on  Sun Aug 06, 2006  at  07:40 PM
My name is Myschelle Taylor and i am a big fan of jaleel White and i just want to say that i love him!!!!!!!!!
Posted by Myschelle  in  Atlanta Ga  on  Tue Aug 08, 2006  at  12:04 PM
MAn why would ppl be so ignorant and say your dead... Man I was touched when I heard that.. I damn near cryed to an episode of family matters the other day when laura prosed to ur urkel character.. good to know ur alive and doing well
Posted by Kevin  in  PA  on  Thu Aug 10, 2006  at  03:07 AM
As a child i feel in love with Jaleel White (Urkel) and I am grateful this rumor was a hoax. I wish Jaleel future success and many blessings in his professional and personal careers. It is truly refreshing to know that Jaleel is alive and well because I have respect for the morals and values he brought to us for 9 successful years on the wonderful show we know as family matters. I hope he will keep us posted on his future projects and his well being because as a dedicated fan i (and many many others) are very concerned. God bless.
Posted by Brianna Rice  in  Georgia  on  Thu Aug 17, 2006  at  04:10 AM
Why must they hate on your success? I'm truly glad your alive and proving them wrong. Love ya!!! holla
Posted by Annonae  in  Philly represents  on  Tue Aug 22, 2006  at  08:21 PM
hello,how are you
Posted by martina  in  croatia  on  Wed Aug 23, 2006  at  03:17 AM
Celebrity hoaxes about their death are very common and yet not a thing to joke about in any form or fashion. No matter the title of a person or how they have impacted our lives it is still important to remember they are covered by the blood of Jesus with angels commissioned to watch over and protect them. Life and death is in the power of the tongue and speaking death over someone is not a joke. So, on your behalf Jaleel, I rebuke those words that have been spoken out against you and send them back to the pit of hell where they belong. In Jesus' name!
Posted by Tasha  in  Newbury Park, CA  on  Fri Aug 25, 2006  at  03:22 AM
oh thnk god jaleel is a great actor when watching family matters he really blends in with all his characters whether he was playing urkel,Stephan,OGD ect, you can see how well he acted
your biggest fan
Dan mohammad
p.s o ya check out ma site http://www.dan-z-world.piczo.com
Posted by Dan  on  Fri Aug 25, 2006  at  06:16 PM
WHOA!!!! Slow down bro, we barely just met and already U got the world on edge. (Even someone like me, who has been one of you're big fans) Well Jaleel, (As I told many others) U may not know me but MY NNAAMMEE IISS OutlawOA; or Adrian if U wanna get to the point. I have known U from your days as a SPAZ to a COOL Blue hedgehog -The Original SONIC- finally ending as a SOMEBODY in your own image. (From on T.V. to real life and YES that SAYS A LOT) Bro, there is not a time I have not been on your side and hopefully in the future I will continue to be by it while cheering U on toward you're many exploits in striving to become better at your wonderous talents. And of one of those is by being a talented writer, something I also work hard at physicaly & mentally all the while expanding my knowledge in technology. Well aside from what new projects U have been working on and how U have been doing with yourself -and many others around U- I must go and do MY thing so U can do yours! But hey, If U got time, try to see if U can visit me once in a while so we can talk & chat about whatever's on our mind in going to .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) or the Yahoo destination to visit the abode of Outlaw. Till then bro, take care, be safe and really -try not to DIE on us- no seriously, whatever U excel at in life you'll alway be Stephen Q. Urkel at HEART. -FROM THE HEART- Peace MAN!
Posted by Adrian Glenn  in  Columbia, S.C.  on  Wed Aug 30, 2006  at  04:23 PM
this is utterly INSANE it is very obvious that you people conducting this website have absolutely NO lives to create a fabricated story about a fallen celebrity. IS IT REALLY ALL THAT SERIOUS??? ure pathetic!!
Posted by Fly  in  Atlanta, GA.  on  Tue Sep 05, 2006  at  12:10 AM
well i just found this out this september 6 2006 and
i was laughing at the fact that who would do something sooooooo dumb and leave a letter saying "did i do that" and when one of someone showed me on the computer in my computer
class i was shocked and did not believe it so in my heart i was like thats not true and to come and to found out that it was not true at all, and to let you know god bless you with what you have now so you better give alot of thanks to god everyday you take your breath and when you go to sleep and wake up.thanks for listening.
Posted by Antonio  in  Miami, Fl  on  Wed Sep 06, 2006  at  09:03 PM
confused Life must be hard as a celebrity. Jaleel, I am glad to know that you are alive and well. You are a positive role model of African American manhood, so stay strong and never let the hype affect you!

With all of God's Blessings,
PK
Posted by PK  in  Rialto, CA  on  Thu Sep 07, 2006  at  12:23 AM
I heard the information about Jaleel death from one of my cousin. I didn't believe it. I found out via the internet that he is still alive and even had to attend a university conference at that time. Iwas really relieved and informed my cousins that it was a rumour.
Posted by Fatima  in  WEST AFRICA  on  Thu Sep 14, 2006  at  06:28 AM
thank God he is not dead...he was real sexy on family matters...but any who what is jaleel white up to now? the last i saw him was in that movie with frankie muniz...i think the name of it was big fat liar!!!!!!
Posted by Courtney  in  j-ville  on  Sat Sep 23, 2006  at  03:37 PM
THANK YOU LORD....HE WAS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DAMN SEXY ON FAMILY MATTERS....
Posted by Kayla  in  j-ville  on  Sat Sep 23, 2006  at  03:40 PM
well some people are stupid to even start a rumor ,like playing with someones life.
thats when they are bored and dont have nothing to do
Posted by meekie2new orleans  in  new orleans  on  Tue Sep 26, 2006  at  07:54 PM
Iam glad It was flase Death is not a joke
Posted by K  in  ny  on  Fri Sep 29, 2006  at  05:12 PM
Yo this junk was crazy whoever wrote that note and faked that death im a whoop they a$$ FA-SHO
Posted by EL B  in  ORL  on  Fri Sep 29, 2006  at  10:23 PM
I'm really late cause I just heard the rumor of him being dead a couple of weeks ago and I thought it was so sad and unbelievable. I was watchin family matters at the time I heard. That news really ruined the show for me. I'm very glad to hear it was a false story, but people really need to stop being so evil as to do somethin like that to a person..carma is a b@%#ch!
Posted by Alisia  in  Maryland  on  Tue Oct 03, 2006  at  02:21 PM
thank GOD you are blessed!!! i think the rumor is starting to surface again. i'm from miami but i reside in louisiana (for school) and a friend of mine told me about this. to be honest it was my first time hearing about it and i swear on my life i was heartbroken. people used to say that you and i looked alike. like i could be your baby sister. that made me so proud. but when i heard this, i couldn't believe it. my heart sank so low...BUT!!! thank GOD you are up and running. i can't wait to see what's next! hey, maybe one day if you're in my neighborhood i'll show you the ropes ...untill then, God Bless You and your family, and don't worry about what "haters" think,...they'll get what's coming to 'em. LOVE YOU ALWAYS
Posted by flo  in  miami, fl  on  Wed Oct 04, 2006  at  02:18 PM
First of all..someone mentioned that he died 8 yrs ago. if u dont remember he appeared in a movie called Big Fat Liar which was about 4-5 yrs ago. And if you search him on imb.com he has about 3 projects coming up so everyone will see that Jaleel is alive and well!
Posted by Jay  in  Miami  on  Mon Oct 09, 2006  at  11:16 PM
I can't believe these rumors continue to circulate... gotta love the media and people who believe everything they read, see and hear! Do the research. The man is very much alive, well and sexy as ever. Keep up the good work smile
Posted by Kris  in  Jacksonville, FL  on  Tue Oct 10, 2006  at  10:10 AM
omg i just found out today about the rumor and i cried ...today was not so great but now that its a rumor i can enjoy my day... i was just talking about Jaleel being on half n half... n i said omg i dont believe this!!! i look on his web n yes hes still sexy n alive
Posted by Ni'Esha Ward  in  Hoover, Alabama  on  Wed Oct 11, 2006  at  06:18 PM
He is alive!!! Alive!!!

Some people can be just so darn nasty, I wonder what they got out of a prank like this. If it was pleasurable I only have one word "SICK"

P.S. U got it going onnnn Boy! red face
Posted by shillah  in  Windhoek; Namibia  on  Mon Oct 16, 2006  at  06:34 AM
People at school told me this rumor, and I was shocked! They said oh yeah urkel commmited suicide. I was like NO! he was just on that kid movie "BIG FAT LIAR" he couldn't be. This page is a big relief! I love Jaleel, he was adorable as Urkle..He's adorable now! All the best to a happy bright future!! grin
Posted by Samantha A.  in  Maine  on  Fri Oct 20, 2006  at  01:49 PM
kiss I'm so glad that my boy Jaleel White is still alive and living life. He was one of my favorite childhood actors. I grew up watching him. Were probably around the same age as of this year (2006). He played his role great in Family Matter's. Then when he changed to Stefan Urkel my heart just melted. But I'm praising my lord and savior that he's still alive. When I was told that he was dead which was on 10/20/2006 I just left a funeral of a family member of mine. And my heart just sanked. I wish there was a way that I can get an autographed picture of Jaleel White but it's so hard to find out how to go about getting that accomplished.

Love Always,

Victoria Burns
Posted by Victoria Burns  in  Boston, Ma  on  Sat Oct 21, 2006  at  02:41 PM
Comments: Page 6 of 8 pages ‹ First  < 4 5 6 7 8 >