Virgin Mary Sandwich
image The auction of a ten-year-old grilled cheese sandwich bearing the image of the Virgin Mary has been pulled from eBay. The sandwich was put up for sale by Diana Duyser who claims that in the ten years since she made the sandwich and took one bite out of it (before noticing the face of the Virgin), it has miraculously never grown any mold. eBay pulled the auction because it claims that it doesn't allow joke listings (that's news to me). Looking at the sandwich, I can definitely see a face, but it doesn't look like the Virgin Mary. To me it looks more like a movie star from the 30s or 40s. Myrna Loy, perhaps. She should have said it was haunted. Would have been no problems then, because eBay definitely allows haunted stuff.
Update: Here's another virgin mary sandwich on eBay.
Update 2: And here's the original Virgin Mary Sandwich, back up for sale. Most of the bidding must still be a hoax, because who's really going to pay $69,000 for an old cheese sandwich?
eBayFoodReligion
Posted by The Curator on Tue Nov 16, 2004
this is unbelieveable. i just read about this five minutes ago, and i just saw a news preview on ABC 13 Houston; they're doing a news story on this sandwich AND the lady who made it!
if you are in houston, it will be on the news i think around 4:45, but im not sure.
Posted by Steven  on  Tue Nov 16, 2004  at  07:38 PM
i just watched the news story, and apparently the sandwich is back up for auction on ebay.
Posted by steven  on  Tue Nov 16, 2004  at  07:54 PM
if you want to see more hoax virgin mary grilled cheese auctions, go to ebay and go to the "metaphysical" section, and type "grilled cheese" in the search box.
Posted by steven  on  Tue Nov 16, 2004  at  08:01 PM
Yeah, there now are many grilled cheese offerings on eBay:

Elvis in grilled cheese, as well as Colin Powell, George Bush, and Kobe Bryant, all in grilled cheese. Virgin Mary's used gum in grilled cheese. Virgin Mary in spam. And, of course, Virgin Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen in grilled cheese (though this identifies itself as a hoax).
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Tue Nov 16, 2004  at  08:21 PM
Yeah, I was about to ask how this person knows it's the Virgin Mary's face, but then I read Alex's bald statement that "it doesn't look like the Virgin Mary." How do you know what Mary looked like? If you have an actual photograph of Mary, the Mother of Jesus (and some good evidence for its identity), I'd be obliged if you'd send me a copy.
For all I know, the Blessed Virgin may have been the spitting image of Richard Simmons.
Posted by Big Gary C  in  Dallas, Texas  on  Tue Nov 16, 2004  at  08:26 PM
The last time there was an ice storm here in San Diego, I got up the next morning, and there in the pattern of frost on my windshield was the Virgin Mary's face. That's how I know EXACTLY what she looks like.
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Tue Nov 16, 2004  at  08:37 PM
Well, Alex, that's nice, but that just takes us back to "How did you know it was her?"

... ice storm in San Diego, huh?
Posted by Big Gary C  in  Dallas, Texas  on  Tue Nov 16, 2004  at  09:09 PM
looks more like farrah fawcett
(in her better years)
Posted by coffee  in  new york  on  Tue Nov 16, 2004  at  09:57 PM
How do we know that it is the Virgin Mary? It looks more like Betty Boop to me. And why don't any of the various images of the BVM look alike?
Posted by John Washington  on  Tue Nov 16, 2004  at  10:43 PM
I don
Posted by Evey  in  Sweden  on  Wed Nov 17, 2004  at  09:46 AM
They were showing this on the news yesterday...I thought the best part was when they mentioned it was taken down because Ebay doesn't allow joke listings. I heard the high bid was something like $22,000.00!
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Wed Nov 17, 2004  at  09:51 AM
ok, so it didn't grow any mold. I also noticed that it has been FROZEN. At least, there was frost or ice all around it when I saw it on the news last night.
Posted by Matt  on  Wed Nov 17, 2004  at  11:22 AM
...maybe cottonballs. I thought they said that she had put it in a plastic container surrounded by cottonballs.
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Wed Nov 17, 2004  at  12:24 PM
If you want to make your own virgin mary grilled cheese sandwitches, just bid on this ebay auction:
Posted by John.  on  Wed Nov 17, 2004  at  02:00 PM
It's back on e-bay. See http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5535890757
Posted by Tim  on  Wed Nov 17, 2004  at  03:57 PM
Even cnn has picked up the story. http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/11/16/ebay.sandwich.ap/index.html
Posted by Razela  in  Chicago, IL  on  Wed Nov 17, 2004  at  06:49 PM
No mold? Of course it hasn't molded; it was probably made out of Wonderbread (which isn't really bread, talk about a hoax) and some kind of plastic cheese slices; the sort of thing you can find in any grocery store.
Posted by cvirtue  in  deleted  on  Wed Nov 17, 2004  at  11:03 PM
Is this worthy of an auction?

Posted by Katey  on  Wed Nov 17, 2004  at  11:41 PM
ok, i can understand special circumstances, but a sandwich, this is got to be a joke, i have heard of lourdes, and guadalupe, ok i tend to belive that, but a cheese sandwich, mother mary must be hungry. i cant believe people are gullable.
Posted by rhiannons  in  anaheim ca  on  Thu Nov 18, 2004  at  12:56 AM
If Mary can appear to the faithful anywhere, then she also has the power to appear on a cheese sandwich if she wishes. And if you think she can't appear on a cheese sandwich, then she wouldn't be appearing in Guadalupe, either.

There is a separate question of "Did she really appear wherever, or are you being sold a fraud?" This is a very real question, whether you're evaluating Wonderbread or Guadalupe. The first thing to ask is "who is getting the money?" If there's a lot of money, the spiritual reality of the vision is likely to be miniscule.
Posted by cvirtue  on  Thu Nov 18, 2004  at  09:40 AM
That's so funny that you say it looks like a movie star because I thought it looked like Rita Hayworth or something too!
Posted by Karen  on  Thu Nov 18, 2004  at  07:48 PM
I love the new sandwich photo (the one in Alex's "update." There's no face in it that I can see, but there IS a dog about to eat it. Would this make it a sacred dog?
Posted by Big Gary C  in  Dallas, Texas  on  Thu Nov 18, 2004  at  08:27 PM
it WAS cotton balls. she put it in a plastic box full of cotton balls and set it on her night stand.

for ten years.
Posted by Steven  on  Thu Nov 18, 2004  at  08:38 PM
i think it looks like a photoshopped autograph photo of shirly temple, but i saw it on tv twice in the last 2 days, so it is not photoshopped. i can't tell how she did it, but i dont think its real.
Posted by Steven  on  Thu Nov 18, 2004  at  08:44 PM
I'm going to have to join all the other people who ask - how do you know it's Mary? The same thing goes for all of the other manifestations of Mary or Jesus. I guess people believe what they want to...
Posted by Dale  in  Waiheke Island (it's in New Zealand)  on  Sat Nov 20, 2004  at  09:16 AM
Burning bush...grilled cheese...I guess she thought that it was following the same thread.
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Sun Nov 21, 2004  at  12:28 PM
GoldenPalace.com bought it.
Posted by Shooter  in  Santa Fe, New Mexico  on  Sun Nov 28, 2004  at  01:37 PM
There is another one (I guess)
item #6134047800
"REAL AUTHENTIC VIRGIN MARY GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH"
But it looks like some kind of bad spirit to me..
Posted by Loxx  on  Wed Dec 01, 2004  at  04:58 PM
yes, eBay definitely allows haunted stuff. I think the recipe is either frozen or exposed for a long time . Some more topping should me done ..
Posted by Baked  in  london  on  Sat Jul 26, 2008  at  09:54 PM
ya i think it is worth of auctioning
Posted by Betty Boop  on  Fri Oct 02, 2009  at  09:42 AM
Comments: Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >