Trampoline Baby
image I just received an email from Dave Simpson with the attached image. Dave says:

Here is a photo of my son, Connor, on our backyard trampoline in Alabama. He was four months old at the time. Feel free to post it on your site.

So I'm stumped. Obviously a 4-month-old infant couldn't bounce themselves up and down on a trampoline. So how was the picture taken? I have no idea.
Birth/BabiesPhotos/Videos
Posted by The Curator on Tue Mar 22, 2005

maybe the guy stood on the trampoline and held his son and then edited himself out of the picture
Posted by Jenny  on  Tue Mar 22, 2005  at  04:55 PM
Michael Jackson isn't leaning out of a hotel room window just above the top, is he?
Posted by aw  on  Tue Mar 22, 2005  at  05:01 PM
Seriously, if that's real, it's child abuse! That's dangerous. That has to be photoshopped. How would the baby land without hurting himself? Tha's really dangerous for the child.
Posted by Glamcat  on  Tue Mar 22, 2005  at  05:04 PM
Simple - it's like the bit in '2001' where we see a pen floating weightlessly inside a space shuttle. The baby is actually glued to a sheet of glass material which is held just in front of the camera lens. If you notice, his face looks a little deformed, as if it were pressed against something.
Posted by Ashley Pomeroy  on  Tue Mar 22, 2005  at  05:04 PM
Surely if he was actually bouncing, the leaves on the tramapoline would be distubed?
Posted by aw  on  Tue Mar 22, 2005  at  05:06 PM
Hmmmm..... That would be a HUGE baby. Compare the kid to the size of the trampoline!!!!
Posted by X  in  McKinney, TX  on  Tue Mar 22, 2005  at  05:15 PM
I don't think that it is photoshopped. Rather, it looks like a simple "UFO" type photo. The baby looks like he's being suspended from something with the connection hidden in the dark trees above. He also appears, from perspective, to be hanging just over the springs of the trampoline but that's really hard to judge.

I do, however, like the idea of him being stuck to a piece of glass. That's pretty cool.
Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Tue Mar 22, 2005  at  05:33 PM
all they did was super imposed the baby to the background. next.
Posted by Blah  on  Tue Mar 22, 2005  at  05:34 PM
Okay, I just looked at Dave's webpage, which makes it pretty clear that the trampoline photo was photoshopped. I'm embarrassed this wasn't more obvious to me immediately.

Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Tue Mar 22, 2005  at  05:58 PM
Okay, obvious (at least to me) fake.

Damned good one though.

There is no way a child that young has enough control to even stand upright, let alone jump. My niece is 4 months old, and just the other day we were watching her attempt to control her arms enough to reach for her rattle. It was actually quite funny, she gets this really hilarious look when she's trying to concentrate on something.

There is also no way that there was anyone standing on the trampoline while the picture was taken, or there would be an indentation there. Also, the very first bounce would have moved the majority of the leaves to the centre.

I admire the guy's photoshopping skill, he's pretty good.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the baby part of the picture was taken while the baby was lying down...

And I'm kinda surprised that nobody's taken this as proof of ghosts, what with the "orbs" and all...
wink
Posted by Rod  in  the land of smarties.  on  Tue Mar 22, 2005  at  05:59 PM
Just looked at his site...

I like the upside-down one.
Posted by Rod  in  the land of smarties.  on  Tue Mar 22, 2005  at  06:29 PM
Obviously this was taken with a flash, so if it was real the baby's shadow would almost certainly be cast on the fence. Babies are often in a position like this while lying on their backs. I would say it's a composite.
Posted by PlantPerson  on  Tue Mar 22, 2005  at  06:38 PM
Simple, He just took a photo of the baby lying on a bed or something and photoshopped it into the trampoline photo.
Posted by Tate  in  Berkeley  on  Tue Mar 22, 2005  at  06:48 PM
P.s. notice the absence of a shadow...
Posted by Tate  in  Berkeley  on  Tue Mar 22, 2005  at  06:49 PM
I agree with you all, except for Rod on just one point. Rod said...

"There is no way a child that young has enough control to even stand upright, let alone jump. My niece is 4 months old, and just the other day we were watching her attempt to control her arms enough to reach for her rattle."

Although that statement is probably acceptable for the majority, there are always exceptions. Our youngest, a now 4 year old little girl named Reese, NEVER in her life crawled in any form or variation. Between 3 and 4 months of age she started what we thought was a reflex action of always pressing down with her legs... seemingly preferring to "stand" whenever you were holding her or anything. Like I said, she never crawled any at all. By the time she was a full 4 months old you could stand her up at a coffee table or end table and she could hold onto it and stand on her own. Jen, being worried that I might cause some developmental problem by encouraging this at such a young age, immediately took it up with our pediatrician. Who informed us that all kids are different, although there are general guidelines some perform ahead of this "norm" curve while others perform behind it (on whatever aspects you're referring) to arrive at (generally) the same place. At 4 months old she was standing on her own, at 5 months she was taking the side-shuffling steps to either side to move to her desires, by 6 to 6.5 months old she was full blown walking! It was one of the most surreal things about my entire life... it was almost like a scene out of a "Chucky" movie or something, to see something so small have enough control to be able to walk, run, or even climb stairs. We had 3 other children previously who had all gone down the more conventional timeline for achieving stance and walking... so needless to say I thought I had a something really extraordinary, until I investigated a little and discovered that although it's not the "norm" it wasn't all that unusual either.

Point being that although you're right about the photo being faked... to arrive at that determination based on your belief that "There is no way a child that young has enough control to even stand upright, let alone jump." could in fact result on "egg on your face" in future debates. I'll quit rambling and boring you all now...
Posted by Mark-N-Isa  in  Midwest USA  on  Tue Mar 22, 2005  at  08:09 PM
Walking at six months is possible. I agree.

I don't see this kid holding onto a coffee table in this picture, though.

As for jumping up and down on a trampoline to get about three feet of air at the age of 4 months? Nope.
Posted by Rod  in  the land of smarties.  on  Tue Mar 22, 2005  at  08:27 PM
Definitely characteristic lying-down baby poses, especially the head posture - generally a young baby, if held up, carries its head slightly forward, but a lying-down one lets its head rest all the way down on the surface it's lying on.
Posted by Ledasmom  on  Tue Mar 22, 2005  at  08:37 PM
notice the leaves on the trampiline, also...some of those would be airborn...flyttered back down to the trampoline...in addition to all the stuff already mentioned.
Posted by Lionel  on  Tue Mar 22, 2005  at  09:36 PM
"fluttering," that is
Posted by Lionel  on  Tue Mar 22, 2005  at  09:37 PM
Wrong. It was done in Australia, so: the baby was tossed up in the air toward a trampoline, and the picture was then turned upside down. Too slow, Sherlocks.
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Tue Mar 22, 2005  at  09:45 PM
Hairy said :the baby was tossed up in the air toward a trampoline, and the picture was then turned upside down.

All I can say is "huh?"
question
Posted by Smerk  in  to mischief  on  Tue Mar 22, 2005  at  10:35 PM
Obviously fake. The leaves on the trampoline look pretty settled to me. You can see bad photoshop cutting around the kids legs and right arm. Probably just snapped a shot of the kid laying on his back and put it in the trampoline picture.
Posted by CheeseMonster  on  Tue Mar 22, 2005  at  10:43 PM
It's like this: water goes down the drain in a clock-wise direction in the Southern Hemisphere. So, therefore, ifso facto, the kid must be falling up, and the picture rotated. I amaze myself.
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Tue Mar 22, 2005  at  10:53 PM
I think it must be real...didn't ya'll see that body builder kid on the cover of all the magazines? This is far less disturbing than a kid lifting weights. Plus this kid is super cute...only super cute kids can do amazing things like jump on a trampoline at a young age...Amazing, just amazizng
Posted by Sally  in  Washington, dc  on  Tue Mar 22, 2005  at  11:00 PM
The "trampoline" was invented and popularized in the Trampoli region of Australia, if I'm not mistaken. The Trampolis were a lost tribe of Italian Circus Folk, who took kangaroos as their totems...
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Tue Mar 22, 2005  at  11:23 PM
The Trampolis do encourage strenuous activity as a rule, mainly as a digestive aid. So, a firm bouncing may be to knock the crap out of a baby, but I wouldn't advise it. Too messy
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Tue Mar 22, 2005  at  11:26 PM
I seem to have lost the Trampoli region, Hairy! Must be in Tasmania.
Posted by Smerk  in  to mischief  on  Wed Mar 23, 2005  at  12:11 AM
I'm pretty sure it's in Australia. The Trampolis are nomadic by nature, so that might explain it. It just keeps kinda getting moved around, y'know? Bouncing around, If I have to
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Wed Mar 23, 2005  at  12:23 AM
Oh, no... I just re-read the opening paragraph to this thread... man, I'm sorry... The kid's name is Simpson, so there's no way he could be from Australia... Dar. Earth to Hairy. Sorry- carry on
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Wed Mar 23, 2005  at  12:27 AM
Not to mention that he says that he's from Alabama!
Posted by Smerk  in  to mischief  on  Wed Mar 23, 2005  at  12:31 AM
Comments: Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >