The Screaming Ghost in Room 209

The story here is that this video supposedly comes from security camera footage of a Sep. 14, 2003 paranormal event at a Wingate Hotel in Illinois. Though it wasn't until Sep 2012 that it was posted on YouTube.

Screaming was heard coming from room 209. But no one was checked into that room. So some guy named John (a security guard?) is sent to investigate. He enters the room and reports that the carpet has been ripped up, the shower is on, and all the furniture is turned upside down. But the room is empty! Also, as John enters the room, a ghostly figure can be seen exiting it.

Of course, we actually see very little of anything in the video, except for the ghostly image, which could be easily faked. We also hear the audio track. But again, that could easily be faked.

The biggest problem, however, is that it's apparently impossible for anyone to identify exactly which Wingate Hotel in Illinois this occurred at. The poster of the video explains that, "Due to legal matters, I am not allowed to say any more information regarding the exact location of this hotel. Please stop asking. Thank you!"

Following the rule that information is only as good as its source, this video has no identifiable source at all. So that suggests...

However, by googling "Room 209 Wingate Hotel" I found this recent negative review posted by someone who stayed in Room 209:

Carpet in room (209) was wet, foot stool was left on top of the cair, empty shampoo bottle from previous guest was still in the shower, a Coors Lite beer from the previous guest was found in the fridge.

It was Room 209 in a Wingate in Saskatchewan. But maybe the ghost is on the move!

Paranormal Videos

Posted on Sat Oct 26, 2013

More content from the Hoax Museum:

Comments

This looks like it's supposed to be viral marketing for some awful, low-budget horror movie.
Posted by AqueousBoy  on  Mon Oct 28, 2013  at  08:38 AM
The security guard has his flashlight out and on before he enters the room...how does he know the room lighting doesn't work ????
Posted by Rob  in  Mystic island new jersey  on  Fri Feb 07, 2014  at  10:36 AM
Whether the video is faked is irrelevant in your argument because you clearly demonstrate your lack of common sense. "I did a google search and the very first thing that popped up must be the one I'm looking for." You state yourself that it's hard to pin down which Wingate this actually is yet one google search is enough to convince you that you've found it? I pity anyone has to put up with you.
Posted by That guy  on  Fri Feb 07, 2014  at  09:32 PM
That guy -- I think you misunderstood what I wrote.
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Sat Feb 08, 2014  at  07:38 PM
Well, good video, yes suspicious if its faked. But to answer the security guards actions, I used to do security in Las Vegas Casino (hotel suicide central).
1) When your one of the only guards on duty with no back up, cause I am assuming they don't need many, fairly quite hotel, you will investigate rooms by yourself.
2) Using the flashlight, he had the flashlight on before he entered the room, because if some one is in there sleeping (hotels do mix up and assign/double book) you don't want to wake them by turning on a light.
3) He did try(and you see him touch the wall) the switch on the wall by the door next to the bathroom. BUT (BIG BUT) alot of hotels only have lamps and no over head lamps and as we later heard the room was turned upside down, so really how are the lamps going to work if they are maybe broken or unplugged.
4) Shower is on, REALLY he needs to turn the light on in there to tell the shower is running? Shine flashlight in bathroom no need to walk in the before you check the rest of the room, maybe later go in there but why check the bathroom first?
5) Why is there a camera and sound coming from the room? Well with upgraded tech, we now have cameras (in most hotels) above the room entrance to help identify people coming out of the room for what ever reason. Sound in the hallway is a new thing and also helps to protect employees and guest by recording sounds in the hallway again for what ever reason needed, like crime, noise complaints, whatever needed!
Other than that I have nothing else to say on the video, pretty creepy with the screams in the Hallway. But this is mostly to help with why the guard did what he did and why he may have done it. I myself (being female) was more gong ho with bigger balls than most guys I worked with, I wound't care if a male was but naked I would still do what I had to do, I have seen a lot of stuff I was more ready to do. We do what is needed at the time to get things done.
Posted by Melissa Mullins  in  United States  on  Wed Feb 19, 2014  at  10:52 AM
Just a thought, the security guard would of had his flash light on before angering the room as most hotel room electric runs off the key card, not sure if I believe this to be real or not but it gave me gooseys
Posted by Natalie  in  Wales  on  Sun Mar 09, 2014  at  05:12 AM
Entering* bloody autocorrect
Posted by Natalie  in  Wales  on  Sun Mar 09, 2014  at  05:15 AM
I don't understand why we can here the operator, we can hear a little of this "amy" Presumed receptionist? And we can even hear the screaming (which does sound very fake). But not once do we hear John talking? surely whatever mic is picking up the screaming should pick up Johns voice too?
Posted by Tom Moore  in  Canada  on  Tue Apr 15, 2014  at  10:21 AM
Aside from never hearing 'John', yet hearing the 'screams'; aside from the very poorly done CGI of the 'ghost' coming out of the room; aside from the whole "why does John have his flashlight on before he enters the room?" thing - the main reason this is fake as hell to me? Why on earth does this hotel have a security camera pointed directly at the door to this ONE specific room??? Hotels don't do that. They generally have one maybe two cameras in a hallway, pointed down the hallway, to see anyone IN that hallway. They don't have security cameras set up to record one specific guest room door.
Posted by Curt  in  St. Louis, MO  on  Fri Jun 26, 2015  at  12:04 AM
Also... The room is 209. In the original poltergeist movie, the hotel room they check into at the end is room 209... I find that too much of a coincidence.
Posted by Clayton  in  Vegas  on  Mon Jul 13, 2015  at  12:09 PM
No, That Guy read exactly what you wrote. When all that you can state up front is that it can easily be faked, that means that you go through every thing with the assumption that every thing is faked. Devil's advocate is one thing, being a butt is totally another.
Posted by 1958Debs  in  United States  on  Sun Aug 02, 2015  at  12:00 PM
Couldnt be that hotel. In other comments a guest states they have been staying there since it opened 5 years ago. That was in 2013...If the video was taken n 2003... Thats pretty good getting it 5 years before it opens smile
Posted by Laura Fine  in  PA  on  Wed Aug 05, 2015  at  06:11 AM
I install surveillance cameras for a living. By law, hotels and other establishments are not allowed to record sound. Just video. So the sound we are hearing in coming from the walkie talkie station in either the security room or reception desk (I was a mall security guard back in the day). Cameras are strategically placed in hallways and lobbies for security of guests and staff. So that clears up that.

I agree with the hotel worker on this forum about not turning on the light, as to not wake the guest. Makes sense. Yes, the ghost and the screams can be faked. Anything can be faked. Amityville was for decades. But I have to admit, those screams sound blood curdling and not human. Just my thought.
Posted by Mr. Murphy  in  New York  on  Sat Aug 15, 2015  at  12:55 AM
Also, if the screams were purportedly coming from that room, wouldn't you think there would be more people in the hallway,coming out their rooms to see what on earth was going on?!
Nah,I think it's fake...
Posted by Lisa G  in  Chesterfield, Derbyshire  on  Sat Aug 15, 2015  at  06:39 PM
I really dunno if its true, or not. And still dont understand if John turned the flashlight or not. But how can u scream like that while ur speepin'!? Maybe there exist ppl that do it, first time i said: "Omg. Wut if it is true!?" By reading these comments, i said "Its fake!" But if its real... then why that room? Why not another one? Why was there a ghost?
•Well maybe there died someone.
• Maybe, there came a man, that doesnt respect God.
• Maybe someone did there something.
Boooh! Now im really scared.
I still want to understand, much better! I dont watch that anymore!
If u wanna tell me, im Arctic Victory on facebook. Thx! smile)
Posted by Birsan Julia  in  Romania  on  Tue Sep 01, 2015  at  08:11 AM