The Dolakha Baby
Status: Probably real
image eKantipur.com (a Nepalese website) has reported the birth of a severely deformed child to a woman in Dolakha. (Warning: the newspaper article contains a possibly disturbing image.) The poor child looks a bit like a mutant muppet doll and created quite a stir in Nepal:

The news about such a baby being brought to the hospital spread like wildfire and there were hundreds gathered at the hospital to have a look. The police had to be deployed to control the crowd.

Someone left a note on the Wikipedia page for April 1, 2006 speculating that the child had anencephaly (a neural tube defect which results in the absence of a major portion of the brain, skull, and scalp). This strikes me as plausible... more plausible than the idea that the baby shown in the picture is an elaborately crafted hoax. (Thanks to Sara for the link... She notes that it looks like a character from The Oblongs TV show.)
Birth/Babies
Posted by The Curator on Tue Apr 04, 2006
The baby was already dead. He passed away a half hour after the mother gave birth to him at home, and was taken to the hospital afterwards. Apparently news about the little boy had spread fast and hundreds of people showed up outside the hospital to get a look at him when they arrived.

All the details are in the article in the link raspberry

It's very unfortunate, and VERY real.
Posted by MadCarlotta  on  Thu Apr 13, 2006  at  11:29 AM
Heres to hoping that it is a hoax, With the condition of our enviroment and many other factors
affecting human physiology and evolution,We have to wonder. But to parade a human through the streets like that certainly is terrible if it is real.
Posted by Andrew Scott  in  Brooklyn,NY  on  Sun Apr 23, 2006  at  04:14 PM
Yeah, Andrew. It sure is terrible to parade a corpse through the streets. The only thing worse would be to dress it up in a nice outfit, give people an opportunity to march by and get a real close look, and have like a parade of cars driving it through the streets in a special car, or even have a sort of a party in the house with the corpse and tell stories about the deceased. Oh, wait...

It's not just you, Andrew. It just amazes how many people are shocked that they had a sort of procession through the streets, (again, ahem, our culture is not superior to any other) yet no one is offended at people suggesting that it be taken to the river to drown, calling it a "freak-baby", and making star-wars references.

<sigh>

Sorry, I left my soap box too close to the computer today. Excuse me while I move it back to the other room.
Posted by karen  in  Reno  on  Sun Apr 23, 2006  at  06:52 PM
TU U PEOPLE HU THINK THIS IS REAL...HA HA....HOW GULLABLE R U !!!? THAT MOM WOULD DIE AND SO WOULD THAT UGLY THING IN THE PICTURES! AANNNDDD IT LOOKS SSSOOO FAKE...IT IS PLASTIC...OR JUST A BLOW UP THINGABOBIT.
Posted by llllllllllllllpppppppp  on  Mon May 29, 2006  at  10:12 AM
oh, shut up. this is probably real...
Posted by Catherine  on  Thu Jun 01, 2006  at  05:21 PM
I have had an anencephalic baby- and I am absolutely appauled by what I have just read.

I lost my little girl to anencephaly at 20 weeks gestation. I am a healthy mum to a little boy, and a wife.

You all should really be ashamed of yourselves.

It is NOTHING to sit there and joke about, and I seriously hope NONE of you have to go through what I have been through in the last month.
Posted by Lori  in  Australia  on  Tue Aug 15, 2006  at  09:11 AM
Comments: Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2