The Barton Mansion
In September of 2001 four people entered the Barton Mansion, which is billed as being one of the most haunted houses in California (it's in Redlands, east of LA). What happened to them is described in great detail on the Barton Mansion website that they created a couple of years later. Included is a videoclip of their supposed encounter with a ghost (the clip looks staged to me). I'm not sure what the purpose behind the creation of the site was. They do sell a Barton Mansion dvd, but they're only asking $9 for it, so they can't make a huge amount of money from it. Maybe they're just big fans of the supernatural, or they're amateur storytellers hoping to create a Blair-Witch style mystery.
Paranormal
Posted by The Curator on Wed Aug 03, 2005
Jeez, it looks like a person in a sheet when you step through the video frame-by-frame. I've seen more realistic ghosts on Scooby-doo.

Of course I'm not open-minded enough to believe in ghosts, so I might be wrong. wink
Posted by Robbity-bobbity-boo  in  Lorton, VA  on  Wed Aug 03, 2005  at  11:51 AM
Going through it frame by frame, it just looks like one of their buddies. And why were they busily looking at a ball on the floor??
Posted by Winona  in  USA  on  Wed Aug 03, 2005  at  12:00 PM
That story is the biggest pile of BS I have read recently.....
Posted by X  in  McKinney, TX  on  Wed Aug 03, 2005  at  12:17 PM
Yeahhhh i personally believe you should take this off your site. They dont deserve all the hits and visits to their site that your giving them.
Posted by Jockamo  in  Toronto  on  Wed Aug 03, 2005  at  12:26 PM
I have to agree with Jockamo, Alex. They don't deserve the publicity. The video is so obviously fake that they should be banished from the ENTIRE interwebamathing for trying to pass it off as real.

So far as the $9 US for the DVD goes, if the blank costs the $1, and it costs $1 to ship, they have made $7 on the whole deal, less time spent on production and computer equipment and such. While $7 isn't a huge profit, it is ok for a self-made DVD.
Posted by BugbearSloth  in  earth, 3rd planet, sol system  on  Wed Aug 03, 2005  at  05:52 PM
since no one's ever seen a real ghost, who's to say *real* ghosts don't look like people in sheets?

But none the less, this doesn't make this video any less stupid.
Posted by Tom  on  Wed Aug 03, 2005  at  06:10 PM
Jesus, what a crock!

This isn't a hoax, it's just a load of crappy ghost stories cobbled together by some kids. Did anybody read the letters? 'So I was like, 'I dare you to go to the swings', and my friend was like'ok' but like, when he got there, it was like really cold, and so we ran away.....like.

FFS!
Posted by Dangerous Dave  in  UK  on  Thu Aug 04, 2005  at  05:16 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot to add, what sort of site starts out by insulting it's readers? 'Complete thieves who deserve to be ran over by a semi'?
Posted by Dangerous Dave  in  UK  on  Thu Aug 04, 2005  at  05:18 AM
This seems to be some kind of private joke.
Posted by katey  on  Thu Aug 04, 2005  at  09:12 AM
I agree... "Jesus - What a crock!"

The Barton Mansion thing is what it is... entertaining fluff. It's funny, it's fun, so who cares if it's real. People spend a hell of a lot more than $9 on utter crap, CGi ladden Hollywood drivel, that probably isn't half as entertaining as this. At least it's 4 people splitting the "$7", than some multi billion dollar machine, that spits out crap after crap every week, all the while whining they're "losing money."
Posted by Chuva  on  Thu Aug 04, 2005  at  05:19 PM
I couldn't agree more with Chuva. Let them do this, and keep them on the site, after all it is a hoax museum, and they put a good effort in this one and keeps the Barton Mansion tradition alive.
Posted by aylk  in  New York  on  Fri Aug 05, 2005  at  06:01 AM
ahaha, I live in the town next to Redlands!!

In fact... I have an article from the papers right next to me where some people are planning on coming to my city to make a Blair Witch like film because supposidly the streets I drive to school on every day are 'haunted'

I had never laughed so hard.
Posted by Mera  on  Fri Aug 05, 2005  at  02:06 PM
I rent a small house across the street from the Barton mansion on Nevada St.in Redldands, CA. Believe it or not this is a true story. There are so many creepy things that have happened at that mansion and locally in Redlands. I met these guys involved at the mansion and they are good guys. The funny thing is that these guys are christians and this really threw them for a loop. One of them commented to me that he was put on meds to sleep and that his pastor told him to destroy the tape and to leave it alone. The Redlands police chief took a couple of officers with him to the mansion about 3 years ago and they got a fright when a window shattered while they were in a room. This mansion is not a joke. I think these guys got a bad rap because of the blair witch story and all the typical horror cliches that are out there that are similar already. This is too bad that this unique capture on tape is thrown to the curb by many. Thanks- Pete
Posted by Pete  on  Wed Aug 10, 2005  at  12:24 AM
Pete is right, this is real. I know because I am a ghost living in the Barton Mansion. I loved scaring the crap out of those damn cops. They didn't even have a warrant! As for the comment that Scooby Doo has better ghosts, well screw you.
Posted by Casper  on  Wed Aug 10, 2005  at  04:06 PM
These guys are Christians??? Give me a break! Since when do Christians practice lying & deceiving? I've been to their forum and asked some valid questions, concerning the video and never have gotten an answer. All they did was DELETE my posts. This happened to others as well, not just me. It seems like they are avoiding the truth, which is that the "ghost" is not really a ghost, but someone dressed up in a costume. For example, one point I & others have brought up is why does the face of the "ghost" look just like a mask of Nosferatu? To see what the mask looks like, here is a link:
Also, since when do Christians threaten to "meet up" with me, just because I kept reposting at their site, wanting answers? I told them in a reply, "Anytime", meaning anytime they want to meet up, I'd be more than glad to discuss the statements posted. And their reply was: "Barton Mansion Team (Moderator) posted 8/21/05 6:25 PM ---(and I quote)--- Hey scott, anytime? Now is great, you didnt mention where your punk ass is located and a meeting spot. If you have the balls, we highly doubt, you are probably some little punk kid that was molested as a child and is such a looser that all he can do with his day is get off by posting on our site. Let us know where we can meet you. If you have the balls. Did we mention how much of a pathetic looser you must be? Get a life you little shit!"
(this is what I copied & pasted)
Since when do Christians act/talk like this??? By them deleting all valid posts that question the authenticity of the video and/or "ghost", it leads you to believe that they set the whole thing up.
Also, the 1977 pictures they are passing off as real, are totally fabricated. The proof is the picture itself. The clue is the windows. In the photos of the actual mansion itself, you can clearly see that the 3rd story windows are dorm windows. But, in the 1977 picture, the windows are flat. I addressed this point in a post, but the post was deleted. That just draws even further suspicion.
Posted by Scott  in  TX  on  Tue Aug 23, 2005  at  01:25 PM
i've been by there before, and yes, really weird things happen there.

if you really don't believe-- you should actually go to the house.
Posted by Jai  in  riverside, ca  on  Mon Aug 29, 2005  at  09:10 PM
Ghosts have flashlights nowdays? Oh come on...
Posted by Yeah...  on  Tue Oct 04, 2005  at  03:31 PM
... did anyone actually read the story or just watch the clip, if you read the story you'd see that even the author of the story didn't refer to the creature as a ghost... but as a demon, and considering the satanic background that the mansion already had i'd say it's not just some friend dressed up in a sheet. plus if u looked at any of the other pictures you'd see that the floor of the closet has no floor, since when do humans float in the air?
Posted by crump  on  Wed Oct 12, 2005  at  05:37 PM
so, I bought the DVD and here's what I have to say. First off, this guy can't hold a camera for shit. It's always shaking around and it gets you extremely dizzy. The DVD looks like a real thing, but then again, so was the blair witch. It has extras, one of which is the guy who told the story's friends checking each room of the mansion, one by one (what's funny, is they're carrying areound a gun, an axe and a baseball bat... what good will tht do you with a ghost/demon/etc...). They get to the "room" and they look in the closet. The ceiling of the closet is exactly as high as the top of the doorway. Which makes you wonder how, if this "guy" had to duck down to get out, then he wouldn't have fit in the closet. plus the closet is really thin. If you look at the video, they shine the light in the closet , and you see nothing.. you would have been able to see something.. but then while they were looking at the "thing" where that door was, he could have snuck around and into the closet.... I really don't know what to believe...
Posted by Sam  in  Los Angeles, CA  on  Sat Oct 22, 2005  at  06:44 PM
ive actually visited the mansion myself about a year ago. a couple of friends Took some digital pictures just through some windows and things...Beleive it or not some weird Shit showed up in those photos. I know there are skeptics, which is understandable... But from what i saw, those photos captured many things that i cannot explain..ive seen it all with my own eyes, and thats all the proof i'll ever need.
Posted by Amy  in  Southern Cali  on  Sun Oct 30, 2005  at  08:40 PM
i cant confirm of denie what in the video or the house, but how many of you have actualy seen a "ghost" or demon. and as for them being christians... i hate to brake it you but christians are people. people are not perfect and its the beliefs that save you not the actions. so if cursing and or fighting doesnt make you a christianthen Go F**K yourself (and thats coming from a Christian). have anice day and God bless
Posted by Aahs  in  Ca  on  Wed Nov 16, 2005  at  09:58 PM
I told these guys on their message board and I will tell everyone here, please stay out of my mansion and leave me alone.
These guys keep bugging me and making my life more of a hell than it already is (and that is hard to do since I am from Hell). Mrs. Demon has been so freaked out with these guys coming and going at all hours of the night that she won't even give up the demon coochie anymore.
The night this happened we were relaxing and watching some Will Smith movies when we heard all the noise in the other room. I went through the evil vortex in the closet to see what was up and these guys start yelling and running around. My hounds of hell started barking and almost woke up most of the underground. I still have goblin neighbors from the lower planes of Hell complaining about the noise.
Please leave me alone so I can go about my non-existence in peace. I am a simple demon who works hard doing evil deeds all day and I like to spend my free time quietly stealing souls and causing unrest in the universe. I also like to spend quiet nights in my mansion with my demon wife without worrying about meddling kids coming in and making all kinds of noise.
Posted by Barton Mansion Demon  in  Hell  on  Mon Dec 05, 2005  at  03:02 PM
Amy is it possible for you to send me one or two of those pics, I would love to see them myself.
Posted by Angel Sanchez  in  NYC  on  Wed Dec 07, 2005  at  10:11 AM
why u guys got to be as holes man if its a hoax o well no one gives a fuck me honestly think its real but dats just my state of mine seriouslyu oh and why the hell u think it is staged seriously u have no evedince why dont u ust let this shit be and dont ruin it with ur opinion fucker
Posted by cayston  in  FLORIDA  on  Wed Dec 14, 2005  at  09:41 PM
I have mixed feelings about the video, the one side of me tells me it might be true, and the other one obviously tells me it's nothing else but a fake attempt at making something horrifying. What bothered me was all the theories, since most does make sense. The authors of the site seems to be naive and seemingly blocking the truth, which gives a good reason to believe that this indeed is a hoax. If it's a hoax, it doesn't bring a smile on any paranormal believers' face, i bet. I take things like this quite seriously myself. Even though i'd like to check out the DVD, as it's quite cheap, and a reasonable price if it indeed is just a joke.

The history of the mansion (and the area) also brings a hint of curiousness, which leads me to believe that there just might be something wrong in there, but who knows what.

Some believe in ghosts and supernatural and some don't. Deal with it people!
Posted by Mikael  in  Finland  on  Tue Dec 27, 2005  at  08:23 AM
I've been following the history/events of the Barton Mansion for several years. I'd like to clear up one misconception re: the DVD. Initially, they offered the disc for FREE. All they asked was that the person remit for the cost of SHIPPING,only. And that was *AFTER* the DVD was sent. These great guys did this on the HONOR SYSTEM. When was the last time you bought ANYTHING on the honor system?
It was only when 100 or so dipwads failed to repay that they decided that rather than be completely ripped off, they'd SELL it for cost, shipping, and a very modest profit to go towards the maintenance of the site.
Anyone who thinks these guys are making any real money off this project is an idiot.
Posted by Pamela  on  Mon Feb 20, 2006  at  06:30 PM
This video is very real!! I have seen it first hand & I have had my own experiences with the Barton House. I live right by it.
Posted by ME  in  Redlands, ca  on  Sun Mar 19, 2006  at  05:35 PM
Is the mansion still there? i would love to visit it with some friends....
Posted by Matt  in  Anaheim, California  on  Sun Apr 09, 2006  at  03:33 AM
Matt, i believe the mansion is privately owned by some person now, so nobody should try to break into it or anything. Not sure if the mansion is still in there, cause, heh, i live quite far away from there. I'm sure it's alright to go take a look at the mansion, but not going inside it, of course.
Posted by M  in  Finland  on  Sun Apr 09, 2006  at  05:24 AM
Everyone stop for a minute.
Look at the "creature".
It's wearing a white robe, and is holding a goddamn flashlight.
Notice when they shine the light twords the closet in the beginning there's no reflection, yet when the creature comes out, there's a light by it's right hand.
FLASHLIGHT.

This video is FAKE.
Posted by Mike  in  Illinois  on  Sun Apr 16, 2006  at  04:45 PM
Comments: Page 1 of 4 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›