The Ashera Cat
image Want to own a leopard? That probably wouldn't be legal, but for $22,000 you can have the next best thing. A company called Lifestyle Pets is selling what it claims is a cross between an African Serval, an Asian Leopard Cat and a domestic cat. So it's like a smaller, tamer version of a leopard. They call this cat an Ashera. Their product page says, "Fully socialized, the Ashera gets along well with children and other pets and unusually for cats, the Ashera takes well to being walked on a leash."

At first when I saw the Lifestyle Pets website, I thought it was some kind of elaborate hoax in the vein of GenPets. But the Ashera seems to be real. At least, it's being widely reported in the news. And these cats look big! (Well, big for cats.) I don't think any other cats in the neighborhood would mess with them. Not many dogs would either, I would bet. It would look pretty cool walking one of these cats around the neighborhood, but for $22,000 they're a bit out of my price range.
Animals
Posted by The Curator on Mon Jun 04, 2007

I dont think a tropical climate would ever be an issue....The serval is from Africa...There is no speacial care for the Savannah per say. they act like dogs in some respects. If you would like to discuss the options you have for purchasing a Savannah you can contact me privatly at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) I can arrange some pictures for you to view if you are intersted. The cost would of course not be 22,000 that is five times what you would expect to pay for a good F1 which is 50% serval. savannah's range from anywhere between 800-7500
The Ashera IS a savannah that is why you cant get papers because if you did you would see what it really is. Any cat with Serval in its blood is a Savannah...again contact me directly at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
Posted by matt  in  loveland  on  Wed Jun 06, 2007  at  09:02 PM
Hey I think I might have an Ashera (TM) cat. It is an F2 Savannah. Combo of Serval and ALC too. He is 4 years old. Weighs 40 lbs. Sweeter than most domestic cat breeds too. Was not 22k either.
Posted by Kristine Alessio  in  La Mesa, CA  on  Thu Jun 07, 2007  at  03:06 AM
Hey these cats dont look much different from a begal. I would prefer a cat that actually looks like a lepoard, that includes size!

If people can have Malamutes, and Eskimo dogs, which are pretty close to wolves, I want a cat that can tear the shit out of any doberman.
Posted by XiztenZ  in  Australia  on  Thu Jun 07, 2007  at  07:03 AM
the bengal is a great breed, the savannah is a great breed. the ashera is a hoax. anyone that pays that much for a poor quality cat deserves to lose the 22k. as for the 'my cat breed is better than your cat breed' -- shut up. personal preference, ever heard of it? moving on.
Posted by sean  in  san diego  on  Sat Jun 09, 2007  at  01:04 AM
looks like there is another person bashing the ashera, but in the same breath, trying to sell another, non-existant cat for not 22k, but 35k!!!

check it out : http://www.huliq.com/23412/lifestyle-pets-the-22-000-ashera-cat
Posted by sean  in  san diego  on  Sat Jun 09, 2007  at  01:11 AM
LOL! "Costa Pahket" Too funny!! That's British slang (That must have cost a packet!!)for something that costs too much money!!!
Maybe he will breed "Costa Fortunes" next?
Posted by Rick  in  SoCal  on  Sat Jun 09, 2007  at  09:43 PM
If you really want a "leopard cat" just get a Bengal! This is another case of people paying astronomical amounts for a brand name.
Posted by None  on  Sun Jun 10, 2007  at  12:56 PM
i own 2 bengals and they are the most amazing pets i've ever owned, and besides the size, they look far more similar to a leopard than a savannah..
Posted by sean  in  san diego  on  Mon Jun 11, 2007  at  11:28 AM
nobody said a serval looks like a bengal. as far as temperment, thats your personal opinion. my bengal looks far more like a leopard than a savannah. and i want the leopard look. you're arguing opinion.
Posted by sean  in  san diego  on  Tue Jun 12, 2007  at  12:34 PM
you're a moron, you can argue with yourself from now on. enjoy.
Posted by sean  in  san diego  on  Tue Jun 12, 2007  at  12:48 PM
it must hurt to be so pathetic you need to 'win' on the internet. i feel for you, i really do. *wave*
Posted by sean  in  san diego  on  Tue Jun 12, 2007  at  01:10 PM
sit on it and rotate, you rancid can of naval jelly
Posted by sean  on  Tue Jun 12, 2007  at  01:53 PM
hahah - that wasn't even my response, but i suppose it fits.
Posted by sean  in  san diego  on  Tue Jun 12, 2007  at  01:56 PM
you know, you're right, i'm just bitter because the only friends i have are my cats.
Posted by Matthew Waits  in  ohio  on  Tue Jun 12, 2007  at  01:57 PM
and even they think you're a tool. Ask them, go ahead. "Cats, am I a chrome-plated, craftsman toolbox of large capacity"? They will say yes, yes you swollen bag of litterbox lumps
Posted by sean  on  Tue Jun 12, 2007  at  02:01 PM
please ignore the last few fake posts. The Presi- I mean my small pre-school child was playing on the Oval Office com- I mean the kitchen computer again, and didn't mean any harm. Sorry again, no hard feelings. That's an order, by the way.
Posted by Sorry  on  Tue Jun 12, 2007  at  02:07 PM
cool. A cat-fight. I'm making popcorn. Carry on
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Tue Jun 12, 2007  at  02:15 PM
i think the first round was sean's, but matt's showing some fancy footwork acting deceptively aloof, much like a cat... not much fur flying, but i think sean has some hidden claws... ding ding... round three
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Tue Jun 12, 2007  at  02:24 PM
whoops, there goes my attention span timer. Thanks for the drama, as if
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Tue Jun 12, 2007  at  02:29 PM
for the record, NONE of that was me, the only reason i'm here is because i keep getting emails notifying me of the replies. thank you, please drive through.
Posted by sean  in  san diego  on  Tue Jun 12, 2007  at  02:38 PM
this matt guy is retarded. there's my 2 cents. smile
Posted by tina  in  san diego  on  Tue Jun 12, 2007  at  02:50 PM
why is this homo posting as other people? regardless of what you're trying to do, you are still a homosexual.
Posted by tina  on  Tue Jun 12, 2007  at  02:55 PM
loser, not looser.
Posted by tina  in  san diego  on  Tue Jun 12, 2007  at  02:56 PM
short bus comments? i bet next you're going to talk about wanting to sleep with his mom.
Posted by tina  on  Tue Jun 12, 2007  at  02:59 PM
loose
adj. loos
Posted by tina  on  Tue Jun 12, 2007  at  03:00 PM
you should stop worrying so much about sean and pay more attention to installing spell-check.
Posted by tina  on  Tue Jun 12, 2007  at  03:01 PM
it's okay sean, i'm just mad that i sleep with my sister and have my cats lick peanut butter out of my ass. i'd say we should kiss and make up, but i know i'm the only gay one around here.
Posted by Matt  in  Ohio  on  Tue Jun 12, 2007  at  03:04 PM
your 'sister' must have a big p3nis.
Posted by tina  on  Tue Jun 12, 2007  at  03:06 PM
dude, when your album comes out and you tour all the gay clubs, can you get me on the guest list? there's nothing i like better than a bunch of sweaty mens dancing to 80's cover songs..
Posted by matt  in  ohio  on  Tue Jun 12, 2007  at  03:35 PM
Sorry about that. Matt Waits was getting a tad carried away with the multiple personalities and arguments, so he's been removed. Try to carry on as if he were never here. wink - Charybdis
Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Tue Jun 12, 2007  at  03:36 PM
Comments: Page 2 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3 >