Quick Links: Dog Gives Birth to Kitten, etc.
image
Dog Gives Birth to Kitten
A dog in a Chinese village has allegedly given birth to a litter that included what looks like a kitten.
“Local residents have been flocking to his house to see the 'kitten' which local vets say is really a puppy which looks like a cat because of a gene mutation. It apparently yaps like a puppy.”
Whether or not the photo that accompanies the article is actually a picture of the litter is uncertain.
(Thanks, Sarah.)

Is Des a Feline Record Breaker?
Des, a cat belonging to Alison Thomas of South Wales, boasts an impressive 26 toes. Polydactylism is not uncommon in felines, and there are reports of cats with 24 toes, but Mrs Thomas is trying to find out whether 26 may be a new UK record. Unconfirmed reports from North America mention cats with 28 toes.
(Thanks, Beasjt.)

Octopig
It has been reported that a pig in Croatia has been born with six legs and two penises. As Sarah pointed out in her email, the ‘Octopig’ should more accurately be called ‘Hexapig’.
AnimalsBirth/Babies
Posted by Boo on Wed Jun 13, 2007

as to whether the pig with six legs and two penises should be called "Hexapig" as opposed to "Octopig", I suppose that would depend upon the comparable length of the pig's legs to its penis(es). If there was a general neighborhood of dimension betwixt the two appendages, then he might rightly be called "Eight-Armed". To quote Sir Nigel Powers: "My God, you're a tripod". I rest my case and my appendages
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Wed Jun 13, 2007  at  06:02 PM
Hmm, Chinese remote village. At least the "kitten" doesn't look like Jesus or the Virgin Mary.
Posted by Christopher Cole  in  Tucson, AZ  on  Wed Jun 13, 2007  at  10:27 PM
Posted by Bobcat  on  Thu Jun 14, 2007  at  04:35 AM
Wow, a picture of a newborn kitten next to some brand spanking new puppies! That's all I need to prove that the dog gave birth to the cat.

I mean, you can't fake evidence like that!
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Thu Jun 14, 2007  at  05:04 AM
Bobcat said:

"Any pig with two penises may be called whatever he likes. he doesn't have to prove anything to anyone."

Would that apply to people too? I'm asking for a friend. Yeah, a friend, that's it.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Thu Jun 14, 2007  at  05:05 AM
Why do the puppies look several days old (their eyes are open, for example) whereas the kitten looks only a couple hours old? Why am I asking such a stupid question?
Posted by Kathleen  in  Indiana, USA  on  Thu Jun 14, 2007  at  11:36 AM
Why are you doubting someone in China? Where's your open-mindedness?
Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Thu Jun 14, 2007  at  11:57 AM
To be absolutely accurate, I'm not necessarily doubting "someone in China" -- for all I know, genetic mutations that make puppies look (a little) like kittens is no big deal. I'm specifically doubting whoever attached this photo to this story, which may or may not be the same person and who may or may not be in China.

Why are you asking so many questions? How dare you question my open-mindedness? wink
Posted by Kathleen  in  Indiana, USA  on  Thu Jun 14, 2007  at  12:25 PM
Owner Ivica Seic came up with the nickname, daily newspaper Vecernji List reported. The farmer from the village of Vrpolje said Octopig also has two anuses, and was growing so fast they had decided to keep him as a pet.
Posted by Concord Vines 3pc Occasional Table  on  Thu Jun 14, 2007  at  12:29 PM
How dare you wink at me, and you a married woman. The nerve of some people.

And Flora forgot to mention the complimentary <a href="http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/weblog/comments/4467/">Cat Gives Birth To
Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Thu Jun 14, 2007  at  01:30 PM
Yes, I am quite the wanton.

Someday, someone with time on his or her hands should make a chart to see if there is any pattern to these "animal A giving birth to animal B" stories, and that includes human animals giving birth to non-human animals. Is the Far East winner of the weird birth sweepstakes, you think? Or South America? Or is it the good ol' U.S. of A?

Mind you, I am not offering to perform that sort of analysis, but I wouldn't mind reading it once someone else did all the work.
Posted by Kathleen  in  Indiana, USA  on  Thu Jun 14, 2007  at  01:59 PM
Genetic mutation is HIGHLY unlikely as an explanation. Transcription error, more like. But I'll blame the journos for that, not the 'vets'. If the vets even exist...
Posted by outeast  in  Prague, Czech Rep  on  Fri Jun 15, 2007  at  09:26 AM
"... The farmer from the village of Vrpolje said Octopig also has two anuses ..."

And they didn't name him George W.?
Posted by Big Gary  in  Crawford, Texas  on  Fri Jun 15, 2007  at  08:24 PM
Those two puppies are even a different breed than the mother dog. My guess is that the picture isn't even related.
Posted by Razela  in  Chicago, IL  on  Sat Jun 16, 2007  at  01:08 AM
My cat has 26 toes (and is much better looking that Des who looks really grumpy), do we win a prize?
Posted by lucy  in  Jersey, Channel Islands  on  Tue Jun 19, 2007  at  09:04 AM
it rook rike dog, but taste rike cat!
Posted by roy  on  Wed Feb 06, 2008  at  07:48 PM