Oprah, the Queen of Quackery
In the forum
Captain Al linked to a recent Newsweek article
that's well worth reading. It details how Oprah Winfrey has routinely promoted dubious medical/pseudoscientific nonsense on her show. It appears that the only standard of evidence important to her is whether a claim is emotionally appealing. If a claim passes that test, then it must be true!
Some of the nonsense promoted on her show includes:
- Suzanne Somers' vitamin/hormone cure for aging.
- Jenny McCarthy's crusade to pin the blame for autism on vaccines.
- Dr. Christiane Northrup's theory that thyroid dysfunction is caused by repressing your emotions.
- Radio-wave skin tightening treatments.
- And "The Secret", that by "thinking positively" you can attract success and good health to yourself.
The article doesn't even get into her relentless promotion of psychic scammers.
Commenting is no longer available in this channel entry.