Opossum in the Attic
Over the weekend my wife and I discovered that we have an uninvited guest living in our attic crawlspace: an opossum. (This isn't a hoax.) As we were sitting on our patio we heard it moving around and soon discovered that it had found a gap (that we had never been aware of) in the side of the overhang above the kitchen door whereby it could gain access to the crawlspace. I rigged up a camera and managed to get a picture of it sticking its face out. So my question is, does anyone know what to do about an opossum in the attic? Will it leave of its own accord after a while? (We suspect it's been there for at least a couple of weeks.) Or do we have to get professionals out to remove it? I don't want to hurt it, because from what I understand they're fairly useful animals that kill rats, snakes, cockroaches, and other rodents.
image
Animals
Posted by The Curator on Mon Sep 12, 2005

Placing a radio in the attic may cause it to leave and not come back. It worked for me with a racoon and her litter.
Posted by John  in  Michigan  on  Mon Oct 10, 2005  at  07:31 AM
Get rid of it.
They are filthy animals that eat anything at all, dead or partly dead. They will bring in disease, fleas and breed. When adults, they are vicious.
Get the filthy thing out of your house!
Posted by tony  in  chattanooga  on  Wed Nov 09, 2005  at  09:03 PM
Please help, it is 1:02 am Tuesday 1/3/06. I am sitting at my computer trying to figure out what is in my attic. Currently it is scratching or chewing my house apart directly over my head. I keep looking over my shoulder waiting for the beast to fall through the ceiling. I'm guessing possum, anyone else care to guess before I get mauled? Need a cheap quick fix. It is entering my attic through a vent like hole (lacking screen of course!) under the overhang of the roof. It seems to gain acess byway of the fence. I've been banging the attic door and screaming at it for an hour now, with no luck! I'm sure the nieghbors think I'm crazy and I will be soon if my kids get word of the monster in the attic!
Posted by summer  in  Oklahoma CITY  on  Tue Jan 03, 2006  at  02:07 AM
Summer, a possum would be the best case scenario. Worst case would be rats. Incidentally, possums will kill rats and other rodents, so they're not that bad to have around. You just don't want it living in your attic, because it will go to the bathroom up there.

Screaming at it will do nothing. You really need to wait for it to come out, and then seal up the hole.
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Tue Jan 03, 2006  at  10:30 AM
i was at the missouri department of conservation at lunch because i have an opossum in my attic, too. they are heavily parasitised, mate 2x year/5-18 per litter (10 surive.) they are omnivorous...and will be mating NOW (jan-feb) and again in may/june. i tried to be nice (mothballs, the radio, bright lights, pounding.) 2 months later, i'm in caddyshack mode. it's her or me. Summer, darling... if you have squirrels they will chew EVERTHING, including wiring; you can have major damage in a short period of time!!
Posted by karen  in  st louis  on  Thu Jan 11, 2007  at  05:24 PM
they have taken my attic hostage, i covered the hole they were getting in from but they found another way to get in. i jus saw one hanging out in the tree in the backyard, no b.s. i am terrified of these things, i have decide to call a professional . does anyone know the going rate?
Posted by Hector  in  Orlando fl  on  Sun Feb 11, 2007  at  12:06 AM
We have had a possum living in our attic for quite some time now. It had babies and one of them fell down between the walls. It cost us $425.00 to have a company come out and remove it and they did not find the mother who is back up there again. The lights is a good suggestion and I also had a suggustion that you play talk radio loudly for a couple of days, but if you bait a cage, the expert that got the baby said use cat food or sardines....they do not eat peanut butter. And do not put the cage in the attic, they will not go in it if it is in the attic. You also need to clean the possum pee and poop out as others will be drawn by its scent. We are once again trying to catch Mom but no luck so far. Tried cage on ground below where we think possum is going in but only caught frogs and a cat. Now have it on the patio roof and hope this time we will humanely trap mom and take her to the woods and release her.
Posted by Dian  in  Tampa  on  Sun Jun 24, 2007  at  04:59 PM
Call a nuisance wildlife control operator.

www.tampawildliferemoval.com
Posted by Dave  in  tampa , fl  on  Mon Nov 05, 2007  at  09:53 PM
Comments: Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2