Nigerian Bulldog Scam
image The latest in the long series of what are known as 'Nigerian Scams' is one featuring bulldog puppies.

Three red flags went up when Mindy Gorman enquired after a $500 bulldog advertised on the Savannah Morning News website. When she emailed the sellers, they replied with an announcement that the puppies had been sold, but:

"... You're lucky to have mailed at this time because the puppy has just been placed on adoption by one of my customers, who went on a veterinarian work transfer with the West African veterinarian commission Lagos Nigeria, West Africa. He is giving the pup up for adoption because he cant take good care of the pup due to his busy and tight state of work. All he wants is someone that's homely and with a good christian home to adopt this young and lovely human best friend."

Then there was the fact that the seller was in Nigeria. Thirdly, when she offered to pay to the transport of the puppy using Pay Pal, the seller, who identified himself as 'Pastor Harry', said that he would only accept a $500 payment sent to Lagos via Western Union.

Ms Gorman did not go through with the transaction, but another customer in the area lost $900 on the scam.

Jeff Thomas, with the Savannah office of the U.S. Secret Service, was unaware of the Nigerian puppy scam. But the details, including the offer of English bulldogs in a state where the biggest football mascot is the same breed, didn't surprise him.
"These folks are not dumb," he said. "They may do their homework in terms of regional interest. People here are nuts about Georgia football."
Thomas suggests puppy lovers approach any Nigerian offers with skepticism.

The website no longer runs the advertisement.
AnimalsCon Artists
Posted by Boo on Mon Oct 09, 2006

These people should be in JAIL!!! We put our hearts on the line, not to mention hard-earned money; which we all know does not grow on trees! I am absolutely sick to my stocmach, as my husband and I have been correspnding with these same people described above. My husband had been browsing the website NextDayPets.com for about a year in search of an English Bulldog and we were always help back by the enormous cost. When he recently found an ad for a pup for $450.00, he jumped on it right away; and of course, that is when the same string of emails happened with us. We were REALLY about to send this ***hole $1000 for not one, but 2 3-month-old ADORABLE puppies! However, like anyone, we had some doubts about it and decided to take to Google and Yahoo. When we came across this, and another website describing similar stories, with different names and locations, we knew we had almost been taken. Praise the Lord we looked into it, and I can only hope they find some peace and forgiveness in their lives. Everyone deserves to make a living, but this is just ridiculous.
Posted by JRHowell  in  wa  on  Wed Jan 12, 2011  at  12:32 AM
From: Pastor Arlin Schneider <myfatherswill2010@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 17:25:27
Subject: More information about our puppies.

Greetings to you from the house of the lord, how are you today, hope fine? Thanks for your urgent response and interest in taking and creating a good home and care for our babies and i hope their save will be fine with you. My adorable English bulldog (puppies) is still very much available for adoption. They are 16weeks old, the male named Max weigh 16.5 pounds and the female named Bella weigh 17.5 pounds and will weigh big when fully grown. They are both A K C registered and shots are given up to date. both of them are my darling sweetheart and super spoiled! They both have a sweet personality and love to play and be carried around. I want you to know that i and my family(my wife and 3 kids are on a missionary trip to west Africa)along with the 2 English Bulldog Puppies.

I am very glad that you are willing to take care of them and provide them a good and wonderful home. Please take note that we should have ask our friend that assist us to place the advert on the paper to adopt our babies. But he is a very busy man; he does not have time to spend with the puppies. So that is why I had to send messages out for help. All papers will accompany the puppies when shipped to you, Due to our long staying over here in Africa, and the bad weather my Wife and I have concluded to get good home and care for our babies. We are not charging or selling them to you for money but to save their life
Posted by Sondra  in  Mission Viejo, CA  on  Thu Feb 03, 2011  at  12:03 PM
WOW! I can't believe this is still happening...it has been over 4 years since they scammed me out of $700...somebody needs to stop these criminals! DO NOT send them your money...look for a qualified breeder or pet rescue/shelter...if you can't meet the breeder in person, they probably can't be trusted...how pathetic that they prey on innocent animal lovers...
Posted by Shannon  in  Alberta, Canada  on  Mon May 30, 2011  at  12:40 PM
The scam has moved on to Cavalier king Charles spaniels.

almost reads the same..I have there info if anyone wants it.
Below is my received emails..also I found the pup through puppyfinder.com the breeder verified them and egged me to further my transaction.
Hello
My name is Reverend Robert D Pesto the puppy is still up for adoption.May the peace of the Lord be with you.I am in the climax of my missionary training which I am very happy about.I was posted to Nigeria(West Africa) for a missionary assignment which will round up my missionary school.My love for God has changed so many life's and brought hope to the lost.My puppy is A kc reg and ready for a good home.She is potty trained,loves kids and other domestic pets and up to date with all her shots,also vet checked and medically certified.Due to its my first time of coming to Nigeria,i needed someone to keep me company.I came along with Nina to keep me company.Presently my busy schedules and travels all over Nigeria is not given me the chance to take care of Nina.I am really not happy about adopting Nina out and Nina is not happy but really have no choice.I have prayed to God about this and i still waiting for the right person to take perfect care of Nina for me.My puppy's name is Nina and she is 12wks.I am in search for a good and caring person for Nina.I am presently in west Africa Nigeria with the puppy.I will be giving Nina out for free but $350 will be need for her shipping,handling and other charges for shipment to commence.If interested in giving Nina a good home get back to me with your full shipping information which includes you

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
breeder on puppyfinder.com
I got your email,i want you to know that Reverend Father Robert i know is a real man of God so you have nothing to be Leary about,he purchase Nina from me like i told you earlier,so i will advice you go ahead and adopt the puppy from him and do has he says,i am assuring you with 100% that you will get what you are about to purchase,and i also want you to know that Reverend Pesto is a busy man of God,maybe that is why he is in hurry to adopt the puppy quick to you.But as for me i will give you go ahead cos there is no secret in it,he is a true man of God
no doubt about that.my phone is not working at the moment now that is why i did not put it at the site ,but here is my home address you can come around anytime any day and also don't forget to informed me as soon as you adopt the puppy from the Reverend.

3401 W. North Ave
Baltimore, MD
21216
Thanks <flynn.brain@yahoo.com>
Posted by Sandi  in  austin texas  on  Wed Jun 08, 2011  at  01:18 PM
Same story, different dog. Puppyfinder.com had an ad for a puppy for $350. I contacted the "breeder" then I clicked on the link to see other available dogs from that breeder. 1 of every breed available,same price,same birthday,same information.When I got an email response, this is what I got:

You're lucky to have mailed at this time because the puppy has just been placed on adoption by one of my customers, who went on a Missionary transfer with the West African Missionaries, West Africa Nigeria. he is giving the pup up for adoption for $300 because he cant take good care of the pup due to his busy and tight schedule at church and at his missionary work. All he wants is someone that's homely and a caring person to adopt this young and lovely human best friend." he will give the Puppy to you if you promise to take good care of the puppy. he needs a neat and caring home for his puppy because he really wants the puppy to go to a good home. If you are willing to take the puppy contact the Reverend at ( .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) )
Thanks

Just for sh*ts n giggles, I emailed the great Rev Pesto, and this is what I got from him:

Hello
My name is Reverend Robert D Pesto the puppy is still up for adoption.May the peace of the Lord be with you.I am in the climax of my missionary training which I am very happy about.I was posted to Nigeria(West Africa) for a missionary assignment which will round up my missionary school.My love for God has changed so many life's and brought hope to the lost.My puppy is A kc reg and ready for a good home.She is potty trained,loves kids and other domestic pets and up to date with all her shots,also vet checked and medically certified.Due to its my first time of coming to Nigeria,i needed someone to keep me company.I came along with Nina to keep me company.Presently my busy schedules and travels all over Nigeria is not given me the chance to take care of Nina.I am really not happy about adopting Nina out and Nina is not happy but really have no choice.I have prayed to God about this and i still waiting for the right person to take perfect care of Nina for me.My puppy's name is Nina and she is 12wks.I am in search for a good and caring person for Nina.I am presently in west Africa Nigeria with the puppy.I will be giving Nina out for free but $300 will be need for her shipping,handling and other charges for shipment to commence.If interested in giving Nina a good home get back to me with your full shipping information which includes your

Ooooh Nigerians and their scams. When will people ever learn? If it comes from Nigeria, DON'T SEND MONEY.
Posted by Dog Loooover  in  LA  on  Wed Jun 29, 2011  at  11:28 PM
These people must think all Americans are dumb. This linsday kim person and the Rev Mike and big scamers !!!! You can just tell by the price too low is always a scam and anyone with a brain wouldnt take a dog of that brees to freaking Africa!! Look how charming they think they are using God as there pitch ! And the pictures always ask for a picture if them holding the dog and then google it .

Yes!!! I sent the breeder to find a caring parent for my babies. I use to live in the USA before I got a divine call to serve God and humanity here in west africa and this gave me little or no time for my babies. The weather here is also not lenient with my babies.  They  hardly come outside with me because of the weather. I want to get them adopted back to the USA where they will be sent back to the weather  they were acquainted with before. My babies are 4 months old, they are AKC registered, current on all shots.  health certified. Loves to be cuddled and loves to play. They are home trained.I am asking $1000 for my two babies and one for $600 both each price including shipping.You will promise me that you will be sending their pictures to me in every 2 months as an update with regards to how they are doing with you. I love them so much but they will be missed. They are my real babies. Please treat them as though they were your babies. Their names are Chapman and Beauty

I am attaching their pictures for you to view them.
I can't wait to hear from you
God bless you

My reply to this !!
This sounds very much like a scam , I am very young but I am not a fool. I checked it out and you and  this Kim lady have post all over he internet with emails similar to this one. You should be ashamed and my you'r" Devine works with God" try explaining this to God.FYI nobody with a brain would take a dog of that breed to freaking Africa in the first place.

Good day and do not replay to this email for I will be posting these up with all other scams you have tried to pull.
Posted by BabyOneLove  on  Tue Jan 03, 2012  at  11:31 AM
This is the exact email I received as well! Wow almost WORD for WORD! BE AWARE!!!!!

Hello ,

Thanks for your interest in my pet, Yes My Akc Longcoat Chihuahua puppy is still available for adoption and am so sorry i couldn't get back to you on time. and i am leaving my puppy on a Trust and Honesty, I am a God fearing person, and i must know the kind of Family i am Giving out my baby into, firstly:

Are you Married?
What is Your Age?
are you from a Christian Family Home ? Let Me Know These Answer YES Or NO?

I really appreciate you interest in her, This little girl is potty trained and friendly with children She will make a great pet to a new family,Her name is E.V,E.V is AKC registered and her shots are given up to date,E.V love playing with kids and other animal.All her papers will accompany her with one year health guarantee...But right now I am in Arkansas,United States on a Christian mission call Empowering Youth to Fight Racism, HIV/AIDS, Poverty and Lack of Education with my wife and we have the puppy right here with us.we are going to ship her to you via express delivery on next day delivery after shipment through a shipping agent,so if you are interested in having the puppy , I want you to get back to me with your full name, address including the nearest airport to you.. Please if you know that you are not going to take very good care of my baby, do not reply me because I am giving her on adopt i on because of bad condition or anything I am only giving this puppy out because we don't have time to take care of the puppy again due to the mission work before us here. i want you to get back to me with the following information below:

With your Full Name?
Your Home Address?
Your Telephone Number?
And including the Nearest Airport to your House.. ?

Breed :Chihuahua
Price: Free
Shipping Fees:$350.00Usd
Total cost:$350.00Usd

Thanks God Bless You .
Posted by Wendy Ingleston  in  NJ  on  Thu Mar 29, 2012  at  07:39 PM
So Glad I found this. I got the most ridiculous story back from a "breeder" responding to my interest in her puppy. I google searched her name: Lindsay Kim ‎[kimlindsay606@gmail.com]‎ and this site was the first to pop up. Thank you for spreading the word. People suck.
Posted by Naomi  on  Sun Apr 29, 2012  at  05:24 PM
Comments: Page 14 of 14 pages ‹ First  < 12 13 14