Mister Marbles
image It's Mister Marbles, the life-size prop dead cat. The attention to detail that's gone into the creation of this thing is amazing: "Mr. Marbles is a cat who turns up dead, floating in a swimming pool. The prop is a jointed cloth construction, with pieces of plastic tubing to keep the limbs rigid, and filled with small air bladders to make it buoyant. The skull was cast in insulation foam in a silicone mold of an actual cat skull. The eyes and teeth are from a taxidermy supply company." It could be the perfect Christmas present for the person who has everything (except a life-size prop dead cat).
AnimalsPranks
Posted by The Curator on Wed Dec 08, 2004

Hmm...good Christmas gift for Nathalia Edenmont.
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Wed Dec 08, 2004  at  01:17 PM
It's apparently an ad gimmick for a movie called "Tahiti."

Don't fret, though, if you want a "life-size" dead cat that will float, just tool on over to the city pound. They make dozens of them there every day, and I'm sure they'd give you an excellent price.
Posted by Big Gary C  in  Dallas, Texas  on  Wed Dec 08, 2004  at  03:05 PM
Not sure it's an ad exactly - it's from a prop and costume designer's online portfolio.
Posted by Paul in Prague  on  Thu Dec 09, 2004  at  09:21 AM
Is it possible for Big Gary C to post a comment that lacks a political connotation?
Posted by John  on  Thu Dec 09, 2004  at  05:29 PM
I don't see the political connotation in Big Gary C's comment. The pound does euthanize lots of animals every day. I'm pretty sure they cremate the bodies though.
Posted by Gigi  on  Thu Dec 09, 2004  at  05:39 PM
It all depends on your definition of "political," I suppose.

Anyhow, I was only trying to make the point that dead cats have never been exactly in short supply, so it seems odd that someone would go to such lengths to simulate one.

Politically speaking, though, I never said whether I was for or against the pound killing surplus animals. And until and unless somebody asks my opinion, I don't think I'll comment on that.
Posted by Big Gary C  in  Dallas, Texas  on  Thu Dec 09, 2004  at  08:59 PM
Paul, don't they have plenty of canals in Holland? What are you waiting for?
Posted by Big Gary C  in  Dallas, Texas  on  Thu Dec 09, 2004  at  09:07 PM
Big Gary, I suspect that an authentic dead cat left under studio lights for several hours would become a bit... high...
Posted by Paul in Prague  on  Fri Dec 10, 2004  at  04:48 AM
Oooooooo....I need one of these for work. I can just hear the chaos calling now. Muwhahahaha!!!!
Posted by Lounge Lizard  in  El Paso, Tx  on  Sat Jul 08, 2006  at  05:17 PM