Unfortunate Last Names
I've always thought my last name was pretty bad. And I mean that in the literal sense. 'Boese' means 'bad' (or angry) in German. But its meaning wouldn't matter much if only English-speaking people could pronounce it (it's 'burr-za', as if it had an 'r' in it... not 'boose'). But I shouldn't feel too sorry for myself, because this guy in Brazil, Mr. Reinhardt Adolfo Fuck, has me beat hands down. As far as I can tell, that really is his name. He must get endless jokes about it.
Identity/Imposters
Posted by The Curator on Thu May 20, 2004

i had a friend whose last name was crappe, and she was a sales representative for toilet paper, i am not joking, she couldn't have picked a worse line of products to sell if she tried.
Posted by shellsea  on  Fri Jun 11, 2004  at  12:22 PM
A kid who attends the local high school here goes by the name of Nick, his last name is Cole. Also there is a kid who also attends the local high school with the name Ao Muao (pronounced Oww MooOww)
Posted by Tay  in  Maine  on  Fri Jun 11, 2004  at  02:27 PM
There is a Dr in the next town over by the name of Dr. Paine and he used to have an assistant, Nurse Blood. big surprise
Posted by Tay  in  Maine  on  Fri Jun 11, 2004  at  02:45 PM
There is this girl at my school who graduated this year and her name is Genna Towle..people made fun of her so bad she started using her middle name as part of her first name so now she goes by Genna Lynn Towle.
Posted by Jessica  on  Fri Jun 11, 2004  at  07:15 PM
Did business with a company that had a rep whose first name was "Carrion"--I honestly don't think she knew that her name meant 'roadkill'...and then I talked to one of her co-workers, who was named "Tyranny" (Though she probably didn't spell it that way..) Finally, I was struck dumb when I pulled up an account and the first name of the customer was 'Diahrreah'. People out there are just sticking names together, I guess. Think about the names you stick on your kids, people!
Posted by Longstreet  in  Indy  on  Sat Jun 12, 2004  at  12:09 AM
Ima Hogg is the name given to his daughter by a govenor of Texas, Jim Hogg, back in the 1890s, and in fact Ima Hogg is well known for her philanthopies in Houston Texas. If you have trouble believing anyone would name their daughter Ima Hogg, just put Ima Hogg as a Google search term.
Posted by Dale L. Schafe  in  Bryan, TX  on  Sat Jun 12, 2004  at  07:07 PM
My maiden name is Norwood. I married Thomas Aycock. That's bad enough (jokes abound), but worse is that someone suggested we name our second son "Norwood Aycock" and call him "Woody" for short. (We didn't take the suggestion.)
Posted by Ms. Aycock  in  USA  on  Sat Jun 12, 2004  at  10:35 PM
My little brother's third grade teacher went by the name of Mrs. Butkist, pronounced as spelled.
Posted by jas  on  Sun Jun 13, 2004  at  06:03 AM
My name: Clair S. Gross. Funny, you think? Well my best friend's name: Jamie B. Grosser. The two of us are known as: Clair S. Gross, but Jamie B. Grosser!
Posted by Clair S. Gross  on  Sun Jun 13, 2004  at  03:24 PM
One of my best friend's name is Amber Brown. And her little sister's name is Mahogany, so the two of them are called the crayon sisters. They don't like it very much. Neither does their mother, whos name is Sepia, which just so happens to be the color of a brown crayon. One of my other friend's names is Cherrie Reed, funnily enough pronounced "Cherry Red".
Posted by Ella  on  Sun Jun 13, 2004  at  03:51 PM
I had a girlfriend whose dad was named Richard Pitt, don't think he ever went by Dick...
Posted by Max  on  Sun Jun 13, 2004  at  09:09 PM
Had a friend whose brother's name was Richard Fisher. All through school he was Dick Fisher.
Posted by ltlmrmd  on  Mon Jun 14, 2004  at  08:16 AM
funny real names? here's two:
dr. mark l. fallik, urologist (center for urologic care, voorhees nj)
dr. harry c. beaver, retired obgyn, fairfax va.
Posted by sammo  in  philadelphia  on  Mon Jun 14, 2004  at  05:38 PM
A realtor who advertises in the local theaters name is Gary Swallows.
Posted by kate  in  Phoenix, Az  on  Mon Jun 14, 2004  at  08:49 PM
I had a girlfriend growing up with the last name of "Pickel." Their family had a running joke with naming each other. Some that I can remember: She was Chris P.(Crispy) Pickel, father was Cole Shea (Kosher) Pickel, grandfather was, of course, Dell (Dill) Pickel.
Posted by E.D.S.  in  CA  on  Mon Jun 14, 2004  at  09:01 PM
I went to high school with a guy named Sue Her, and knew a Phat Ho (poronounced 'Fat Hoe') They were both Chinese immagrents.
Posted by Jessa  on  Wed Jun 16, 2004  at  07:21 AM
A long time ago, my Dad worked at Lockheed with Bernard Fuchs and Diane Kantu.

A little later, I met Kumnung Thrupsoonthorn at Varian. Paging her was delightful!
Posted by Sue Harrison  in  Gloucester, MA  on  Wed Jun 16, 2004  at  12:23 PM
I was in Nurses training and a Resident there was named Dr. Quitt. What a response he got when overhead paged as "Dr. Quitt, Dr. Quitt".
Posted by L. Smith  in  Calif  on  Wed Jun 16, 2004  at  01:43 PM
big surprise

I went to school with a guy name Harry Cox!
Posted by Nancy  in  Canada  on  Wed Jun 16, 2004  at  05:44 PM
I know a chiropractor named Steven Bonebrake. His wife was offended when I asked if his name was a joke...
Posted by Craig Hampton  in  Kansas City, MO  on  Wed Jun 16, 2004  at  06:59 PM
During the 1970's and 1980's I worked in a New Orleans hospital that had a Dr. Leach and also a Dr. Payne. His full name was Manny D. Payne, or as they would page him, "Dr. Payne, Dr. M.D. Payne".

I guess he signed his name: M.D. Payne, M.D.
Posted by Bayou Bengal  in  Shreveport, LA  on  Thu Jun 17, 2004  at  12:13 PM
During the 1970's and 1980's I worked in a New Orleans hospital with a Dr. Leach and a Dr. Payne. His full name was Manny D. Payne and they would page: "Dr. Payne, Dr. M.D. Payne"

I suppose he signed his name "M.D. Payne, M.D."
Posted by Bayou Bengal  in  Shreveport, LA  on  Thu Jun 17, 2004  at  12:17 PM
Heres Another One!!!!! I went to school with a girl named Joanna Berger (pronounced Yowanna Burger). Thankfully she went by the name of Honna.
Posted by Tay  in  Maine  on  Fri Jun 18, 2004  at  10:46 AM
My partner had a saturday job in MacDonalds. His boss was called Mike Cheese!
Posted by Hanna  in  UK  on  Sat Jun 19, 2004  at  03:06 PM
In Oshawa, ON, there's a Dr. Doctor, and a priest named Fr. Massman.
Posted by Sandy  on  Sun Jun 20, 2004  at  06:36 AM
I went to high school with a Barb Blows; and I had a childhood friend whose first name was Pinochle, after the card game, because his mother was playing the game the night he was born.ddd
Posted by david dunakey  in  waterloo, iowa  on  Sun Jun 20, 2004  at  10:21 AM
I went to school with an a girl named Sue Yu in New York. You'd think that should be a jewish name, but she was asian. smile
Posted by Eric  on  Sun Jun 20, 2004  at  01:09 PM
I once worked at a technical publishing company in San Diego with a programmer named Wei Wang. I still remember the day I met him. I introduced myself and gave my name. And he lowered his head slightly to glance at the ground and spoke his name, "Wei Wang". I instantly realized the reason for his shamed response and did not giggle or laugh. I continued smiling and said "Glad to meet you Wei." He had been subject to jokes over his name for years. I never joked about his name ever out of courtesy.
Posted by Lenny  in  Bay Area, Ca.  on  Sun Jun 20, 2004  at  07:55 PM
I used to work with an engineer origianlly from England named Richard Head. Apparently they don't use the nickname "Dick" much where he was born.
Posted by Richard Henry  in  San Diego  on  Sun Jun 20, 2004  at  11:04 PM
I was at my place of employment (a video store) and a woman comes to the counter with an arm load of rental DVD's. She gives me her membership card and I scan it in to the computer. Her name comes up and it is Aquanetta Jones. and the first thing she said was, "Yeah, like the hair spray."
Posted by Matt Rudowski  in  Michigan  on  Mon Jun 21, 2004  at  02:13 AM
Comments: Page 5 of 24 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last ›