It’s Homemade!
Status: Odd news report
I find this a bit hard to believe. According to this news report "Almost a third of young Britons have passed off a ready-made meal as their own creation in order to impress someone, according to a survey by the Department of Health on Monday." Sure, it's common to joke that something is homemade when it's not, but usually it's easy to tell the difference between ready-made and homemade. The same survey also found that "one in 10 had never cooked a proper meal for themselves because they 'don't know how'." I find that easier to believe.
Food
Posted by The Curator on Tue Jan 10, 2006

This gives me another great business idea.
Offer a catering service that delivers meals (or sells them for take-out). But you make sure there are a few little mistakes in the meals. The cassarole is a little burned, there are a few hairs in the soup, the salad is a bit wilted, the gravy is lumpy, and so on. That way everybody will think your customers made it themselves. Maybe even provide mismatched, and unmarked, containers for them to take the food home.
Posted by Big Gary in the northern hemisphere  in  Dallas, Texas  on  Tue Jan 10, 2006  at  06:49 PM

Perhaps it should say "...claimed to have passed off..."

It's likely a lot of those people were too dumb to notice how unsuccesful they were at passing things off.
Posted by Peter  in  Melbourne, Australia  on  Tue Jan 10, 2006  at  07:10 PM
My family's done that. When we are having a party with more then 30 or so people and will be serving dinner, we buy a lot of chicken at El Pollo Loco, then we bring it home and put it in the oven, where we later take it out (with the guests there) and put on nice plates. People always comment about how good the chicken is and have no idea it is just fast food. A few of our good friends know we do that, but everyone else seems to fall for it, especially when most of the sides and stuff are actually homemade.

If people can fall for it with food from a fast food resteraunt, they definitely could if you get food from a more upscale place.
Posted by Razela  in  Chicago, IL  on  Tue Jan 10, 2006  at  08:35 PM
Are we just that lazy?!?! Come on people!

P.S. Big Gary...if you do that, you should see if you can get a deal with Tupperware.
Posted by Cathy  in  South Dakota  on  Tue Jan 10, 2006  at  10:19 PM
Well, I'm sure there are lots of people who have done that and at least think they have fooled the other party. However, in my experience, many people do notice that something is ready-made - but saying that they did is entirely different thing. Some are impressed by even that effort, others have entirely other things in their mind and prefer not to complain.
Posted by VL  on  Wed Jan 11, 2006  at  06:07 AM
What counts as ready-made?

Tonight I'm having garlic and cheese pizza-bread with fusilli in a fresh pesto sauce and a side of salad.

Ingredients: -
garlic butter (bought),
mozerella (bought - pre-grated),
chedder (will grate my own),
pizza base (bought),
fusilli (bought),
pesto sauce (bought),
salad (will chop/mix my own).

So, did I make this meal, or the supermarket?
Posted by David B.  on  Wed Jan 11, 2006  at  09:46 AM
You didn't make your own cheese!?!
Posted by Tru  in  Other Words  on  Wed Jan 11, 2006  at  10:14 AM
It seems very implausible; or it could be that the news report has bulldozered over the subtleties of the original survey, which may have been absolute rubbish to start off with ("Have you ever passed off a takeaway as your own food - or are you a humourless bore? Tick one box only.")

It also is possible that, for example, many of the respondents were counting trivial things such as store-bought mashed potatoes, roast potatoes, microwaveable rice or oven chips as examples of fake food.

Besides, I find it extremely unlikely that at least 22 percent of Britain's 16-24 year males - not just amateur cooks, but all males - have been in a situation where they were expected to cook for someone else. It's been a couple of years since I was 24, but from my personal experience you can't trust young people; they lie, they are feckless, they are lazy and they are averse to hard work.
Posted by Ashley Pomeroy  on  Wed Jan 11, 2006  at  01:55 PM
@ Ashley
"from my personal experience you can't trust young people; they lie, they are feckless, they are lazy and they are averse to hard work."

I'm waiting for the "Christmas?! Humbug!!"
Posted by Jerry S  on  Thu Jan 12, 2006  at  12:54 PM
I don't think I've ever had someone else prepare something, and then pass itoff as mine.

I would admit it anyway.
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Fri Jan 13, 2006  at  12:38 PM
I can believe it around here. Few people under the age of 30 can do more than microwave up some soup, and the worst offenders are Business Studies students; They claim they need never cook as they will earn enough money to eat out for a lifetime, which is sadly true.

A friend of mine runs a cooking class at an adult learning school, and he has the most appalling stories to tell about cooking.
Posted by DFStuckey  in  Auckland New Zealand  on  Sat Jan 14, 2006  at  01:03 AM
Hey Im 21, in college, and I can cook a full 3 course meal for 10 people. Adult, family people. And its good!
I can also make the requisite microwave pizzas.
Posted by chyca  on  Sun Jan 15, 2006  at  11:05 PM
Chyca, fine. What part of New Zealand or England are you from?

Those countries were the ones under discussion, so 'twas not even personal.
Posted by DFStuckey  in  Auckland New Zealand  on  Tue Jan 17, 2006  at  03:10 AM
"Hey Im 21, in college, and I can cook a full 3 course meal for 10 people. ...I can also make the requisite microwave pizzas."

What are the other two courses?
Posted by Big Gary  in  Dallas, Texas, USA  on  Wed Jan 18, 2006  at  07:14 PM
While I don't doubt that some people try and pass off take-out as homemade, I do doubt many people have been fooled, but are instead just being polite (if not, then they definately need to start eating out less). Still, when commercials tout making a boxed cake mix, refrigerated cookie dough, jar gravy, pre-packaged frozen meat entrees, etc., as being "homemade" (for shame!), I've no doubt that for some the line has become blurred enough that they just take it one step further...
Posted by annie  in  US  on  Fri Jan 27, 2006  at  06:28 PM