Hoax Websites of Lost
Status: A few hoax sites
After getting the first season of Lost on dvd for christmas, I've become hooked on the show. Although I'm beginning to suspect that the writers of the show are simply going to introduce one mystery after another without ever offering an explanation for anything. But anyway, here are some hoax websites related to Lost: Oceanic World Air (the airline that the Lost passengers were flying on), Dharma Industries (the mysterious project that was being conducted on the island), and The Hanso Foundation (The philanthropic foundation funding the Dharma Initiative. This page is part of an alternate reality game, as is the Dharma Industries site). If you know of any other Lost-related hoax sites, let me know.

And here's something that isn't a hoax, but is rather curious. If you type the mysterious numbers from Lost (4 8 15 16 23 42) into google maps, they correspond to the approximate latitude and longitude of an island in the middle of the Pacific. My guess is that this probably isn't an accident.

Update: A few more hoax websites of Lost:

http://www.driveshaftband.com (the website of Charlie's band. Thanks to Nordan for this link.)

http://www.mrcluck.com or http://www.mrclucks.com (websites of the fast-food restaurant that Hurley used to work in, before he won the lottery. As far as hoax websites go, these aren't very fully developed. The front page simply links to a podcast about the show.)

The island in the Pacific mentioned above is Kosrae Island (Thanks to Eric Schucard and Tim for this info).
EntertainmentWebsites
Posted by The Curator on Sat Jan 28, 2006

Kipster, I didn't over-react. I just mentioned that I didn't particularly like the episode, and I also happened to mention that a lot of that may have been because I couldn't relate to it. Please read the posts you wish to respond to before you attack.
Posted by Razela  in  Chicago, IL  on  Tue Jan 31, 2006  at  05:03 PM
Wow... I have to say, this discussion of Lost has really degraded - on some levels - to a religious argument.

People are really freely slewing around some only moderately veiled snips. (I still like: "The most glaring flaw in Karen's theory is that she doesn't know what she's talking about.") But there's other good ones: "...if you any paid attention", "...only thing worse than Bible-thumpers..." My, my, brings me back to the good old days when I had enough energy to debate religion.

Interesting how the challenge of someone's interpretation of this show gets an emotional reaction similar to the challenge of someone's religious belief.

Now with that, I'm out of this kettle. smile

(Oh, but one more thing: kipster, I've been playing with a theory similar to that, but apparently "purgatory" is not the answer, according to the powers that be, so I'm still playing...)
Posted by karen  in  Reno  on  Tue Jan 31, 2006  at  07:33 PM
I was only calling it as I saw it, Karen.

*Spoilers*
And I think the Purgatory theory would've worked if it were actually "the monster" who was killing people, not people killing other people. The monster could've been looked at as a Grim Reaper of sorts as we already saw that it can read peoples minds (ala the Eko episode) and it would judge people to determine their fate in going to heaven or hell. Not only that, it would've probably taken a more active role in hunting the people down. Not to mention there's a mysterious foundation that has ties to the island itself, and could possibly be responsible for all of the crazy crap the island as going on. I find it hard to believe a foundation could develop a pathway into purgatory.
Posted by Dan  on  Tue Jan 31, 2006  at  07:57 PM
Wow, you guys are now way beyond me. You both seem to know much more about the show then I do, and have completely changed my mind from when I came into this forumn. Can't wait till tomorrow night.
Posted by Razela  in  Chicago, IL  on  Tue Jan 31, 2006  at  09:50 PM
I just pay very close attention to what goes on in the show. Otherwise I'd miss alot of the hidden or subtle stuff in the show.
Posted by Dan  on  Tue Jan 31, 2006  at  10:00 PM
Yah, my problem is I only saw like 3 episodes from last season, then saw the first few of this season, then watched last season on dvd, then the last few so far of this season. I think one of my problems is going completely out of order.

Also, I have class Wed nights till 8pm (it shows at 8 in arizona) so I have to rush home and end up missing the first 10 min of every episode. Then I have to somehow manage to make myself dinner while watching it. I try to do that during commercials only but sometimes it is impossible. It's amazing how much goes on in 10 minutes of a tv show. I spend the next 30 minutes just trying to catch up with what I missed. I wish I had dvr or tivo.
Posted by Razela  in  Chicago, IL  on  Wed Feb 01, 2006  at  12:48 AM
If I miss an episode (which rarely happens) I usually get it from BitTorrent a few hours later. I never go more than a few days without watching the new ones.
Posted by Dan  on  Wed Feb 01, 2006  at  12:50 AM
I accidently missed one this season because I thought I was asked on a date that involved free sushi. It was extremely hard to turn down free sushi for anything, even lost, but I did end up buying the episode on itunes the next day.
Posted by Razela  in  Chicago, IL  on  Wed Feb 01, 2006  at  01:03 AM
Hey...sorry about that last post of white space!

where can i get bittorrents of the show? i have to be away from the TV and i just never bothered replacing my VCR when it bit the dust.

also, Razela, i wasnt posting a response soley about your comments, but on subsequent comments as they are a thread and i look at them as a continuing whole. threads are responded to--not just initial posts. note that others post that way here also.

it aint ALL about you, you know! smile

thanks all

kip
Posted by kipster  in  VA  on  Wed Feb 01, 2006  at  11:02 AM
you can buy these episodes on iTunes? youre kidding! dont make me fork over all that money for an iPod!!!
kip
Posted by kipster  in  VA  on  Wed Feb 01, 2006  at  11:04 AM
You don't *need* an iPod to download and watch stuff on iTunes.
Posted by Dan  on  Wed Feb 01, 2006  at  11:12 AM
dan said:

>You don't *need* an iPod to download and
>watch stuff on iTunes.

OK...want to complete that thought with a suggestion? how DOES one download and watch stuff LEGALLY?

kip
Posted by kipster  in  VA  on  Wed Feb 01, 2006  at  12:46 PM
Don't get snippy with me, I'm trying to help you. If you read the iTunes site it says you can play the videos in Quicktime.

You're welcome.
Posted by Dan  on  Wed Feb 01, 2006  at  01:05 PM
i wasnt getting snippy--in fact, i thought YOUR initial response was a bit strident. and i am not part of 'iPod Nation' so i didnt really know there was an iPod site.

thank you for the answer.

kip
Posted by kipster  in  VA  on  Wed Feb 01, 2006  at  01:54 PM
Nor am I a part of the "iPod Nation", but it helps to read the site you're directed to as opposed to getting cranky.
Posted by Dan  on  Wed Feb 01, 2006  at  01:57 PM
Lost Hoax Ending

Maybe they really are on the resort island of Kosrae in Micronesia, and in the last episode they finally decide to walk all around the island and discover the hotels. The "others" on the island turn out to be off-duty hotel staff playing a hoax on the Lost. Or maybe not. smile They would never use this ending (if it ever ends) so I'm including it here.
Posted by Richard Ginn  in  Chaepl Hill North Carolina  on  Wed Feb 01, 2006  at  02:24 PM
I had a dream that the Others were really cannibals and they ate the children. And the thing is it didn't occur to me that it was a dream until a few hours after I woke up.
Posted by Dan  on  Wed Feb 01, 2006  at  02:30 PM
My little brother (16 years old) has a deep belief that the others actually are the black floaty stuff and that the stuff can move itself into human forms. I think he's out of his mind. Also, I think there was a penny arcade comic about them being shapeshifters as well. I think that's a bit much though, even for Lost.

And Kipster, to download Lost from itunes, go to http://www.itunes.com and first download the application. You do not need an ipod to do any of this. Then when you open up the application, you go to the music store which will be listed at the left of the screen. From there you can buy music and many t.v. shows including lost. It's $1.99 per episode for the US itunes. They will charge your credit card and then download the episode directly. You can watch it on your computer through itunes or quicktime. It's legal and easy and the quality is pretty good, though definitely not as good as watching it on dvd or tv.
Posted by Razela  in  Chicago, IL  on  Wed Feb 01, 2006  at  03:35 PM
Haven't seen the site for Charlie's band Driveshaft listed here. It looks to be regularly updates.

Posted by Tsunami  in  Conroe, Tx  on  Wed Feb 01, 2006  at  03:41 PM
That's a great website tsunami. If I had never seen lost and there weren't all the flight 815 stuff on there it would be very believable. Also, take a look at the oceanic world air flight. They have canceled all future flights.
Posted by Razela  in  Chicago, IL  on  Wed Feb 01, 2006  at  03:51 PM
one little item gleaned from last night's repeat--sorry if its been noted before: Hurley's financial advisor tells him he owns 'a box company'. Locke was a collections person for 'a box company'.
kip
Posted by kipster  in  VA  on  Thu Feb 02, 2006  at  11:25 AM
Yes, everyone has a connection to each other. Also note that we saw Sawyer sleeping with the TV lotto girl in his episode.
Posted by Kira  on  Thu Feb 02, 2006  at  11:28 AM
So no one has mentioned the Ultimate Lost Theory. (At least, I don't think anyone has mentioned it.) It manages to explain quite a few things, such as why the polar bear was on the island. But, of course, it's just a theory.
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Thu Feb 02, 2006  at  11:59 AM
good webpage. being a Lost dork, i guess i'll have to order a hat or hoodie or something.

i have to mention that i do hear phrases used on the show that are lifted directly from 12 Step group literature. everyone seems to go through the steps in their adventure on the island. its not simple Eng. Lit. freshman speculation, either. there definitely is subtext that underlies the whole process these Lost characters go through that parallels/references the 12 Step experience. i'll wager at least one of the writers or storyline editors is interested in the 12 Step process.
Posted by kipster  in  VA  on  Thu Feb 02, 2006  at  12:18 PM
Didn't boone have something to do with a box company as well, or do I just have a horrible memory? By the way, I definitely didn't catch that the girl in that episode with sawyer was the lotto girl.

I have a feeling I miss 99% of the connections.
Posted by Razela  in  Chicago, IL  on  Fri Feb 03, 2006  at  03:24 AM
No Raezela, Boone helped his mom run a wedding business.

Hurley's boss at Clucky's was Locke's old box-company boss, though.
Posted by Sakano  on  Fri Feb 03, 2006  at  06:34 AM
hey all

the Hanso Foundation website at http://www.thehansofoundation.org/ is down.

hopefully, this is temporary? isnt this website part of a computer game? inquiring minds...

PS: im moving over to http://www.4815162342.com for this stuff. i think discussion about the show is more organized and maybe more stimulating for me. but ill always be a museum of hoaxes fan!!

kip
Posted by kipster  in  VA  on  Fri Feb 03, 2006  at  10:40 AM
can someone explain why on the oceanic sight if you hit find and click on one of the seats a seat will turn green if you put the mouse over it and it says john locke. if u click on it it show a sequence of knives and then a picture of locke in black and white and a freaky scream. someone PLEASE explain
Posted by Supahfly  in  somewhere  on  Thu Sep 07, 2006  at  10:48 PM
Holo im a producer of lost . we see that you say that you came up with hoax sites. this is not ture all these sites are in relasion to the show lost. we are trying to just make people anderstand the 3 finale episodes of lost so we came up with sites. thanks for your concern mate.

cheers
nameste
Posted by meme  on  Wed Jan 17, 2007  at  04:26 AM
What a convincing note from the producer.
Posted by Sakano  in  Ohio  on  Wed Jan 17, 2007  at  08:09 AM
Comments: Page 2 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3 >