Hidden Messages in Water
I got an email from Enio asking me: I would like to know your opinion about Masaru Emoto's "Crystal Water Photos".

First, some background. Masaru Emoto's book The Hidden Messages in Water is currently #66 in sales rank on Amazon. That means A LOT of people are buying it. Here's the blurb from the cover that pretty much explains what Masaru Emoto and his crystal water photos are all about:

The Hidden Messages in Water is an eye-opening theory showing how water is deeply connected to people's individual and collective consciousness. Drawing from his own research, scientific researcher, healer, and popular lecturer Dr. Masaru Emoto describes the ability of water to absorb, hold, and even retransmit human feelings and emotions. Using high-speed photography, he found that crystals formed in frozen water reveal changes when specific, concentrated thoughts are directed toward it. Music, visual images, words written on paper, and photographs also have an impact on the crystal structure. Emoto theorizes that since water has the ability to receive a wide range of frequencies, it can also reflect the universe in this manner. He found that water from clear springs and water exposed to loving words shows brilliant, complex, and colorful snowflake patterns, while polluted water and water exposed to negative thoughts forms incomplete, asymmetrical patterns with dull colors. Emoto believes that since people are 70 percent water, and the Earth is 70 percent water, we can heal our planet and ourselves by consciously expressing love and goodwill.

What do I think of this theory? Well, at the risk of giving off a lot of negative energy that's going to make a whole bunch of water crystals get all bent out of shape, I think it's complete baloney. But then, I'm not very 'open minded' about things like this. So I would think that.
(but I have to add: since when has the earth been 70 percent water? Do they mean the surface of the earth? That might make sense. But the earth itself ain't 70 percent water)
Photos/VideosScience
Posted by The Curator on Wed Apr 06, 2005
there was a brief segment in the movie "what the !@#$%& do we know" about emoto. boy was i disappointed when i went to see that movie and i realized that many of the people in it were fruitcakes. jz knight?? are you serious?

then there was the guy who had this odd mannerism of having to pause while he was talking in order to swallow his saliva. very odd.

i thought it had potential but it ended up being about that deaf girl dancing at a wedding.

it was like deer hunter, when you're saying "is this wedding scene ever going to end?"
Posted by flender penderton  on  Wed Apr 06, 2005  at  02:30 AM
I wondered why there was a link to "What the ..." on this guy's website.

The whole changing ice crystals by the power of thought and capturing it with high speed cameras? Hmmm...what's stopping him from taking a photo of an ice crystal with a regular camera? It's not as if he's trying to photograph the actual change, is he?
Posted by Smerk  in  to mischief  on  Wed Apr 06, 2005  at  02:38 AM
From Dr. Strangelove

Ripper: Mandrake?
Mandrake: Yes, Jack?
Ripper: Have you ever seen a Commie drink a glass of water?
Mandrake: Well, I can't say I have.
Ripper: Vodka, that's what they drink, isn't it? Never water?
Mandrake: Well, I-I believe that's what they drink, Jack, yes.
Ripper: On no account will a Commie ever drink water, and not without good reason.
Mandrake: Oh, eh, yes. I, uhm, can't quite see what you're getting at, Jack.
Ripper: Water, that's what I'm getting at, water. Mandrake, water is the source of all life. Seven-tenths of this earth's surface is water. Why, do you realize that seventy percent of you is water?
Mandrake: Uh, uh, Good Lord!
Ripper: And as human beings, you and I need fresh, pure water to replenish our precious bodily fluids.
Mandrake: Yes. (he begins to chuckle nervously)
Ripper: Are you beginning to understand?
Mandrake: Yes. (more laughter)
Ripper: Mandrake. Mandrake, have you never wondered why I drink only distilled water, or rain water, and only pure-grain alcohol?
Mandrake: Well, it did occur to me, Jack, yes.
Ripper: Have you ever heard of a thing called fluoridation. Fluoridation of water?
Mandrake: Uh? Yes, I-I have heard of that, Jack, yes. Yes.
Ripper: Well, do you know what it is?
Mandrake: No, no I don't know what it is, no.
Ripper: Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face?
Posted by ProjectMayhem  in  Madison, WI  on  Wed Apr 06, 2005  at  02:50 AM
Gosh - Coca-Cola went through all that trouble trying to turn tap water into wine (or at least 'Dasani') using 'reverse osmosis'; Penta spent millions on developing (or at least marketing) its 'ultra-purified, restructured "micro-water"'... and IN ALL THAT TIME they never worked out that it's not pseudoscience that sells water - it's mysticism!

Maybe McDonald's can step into the market niche - McDonald's Happy Water:)
Posted by Paul in Prague  in  errr...  on  Wed Apr 06, 2005  at  02:56 AM
They already do here! Well, maybe not Happy water, but Macca's do sell bottled water - part of their "healthy" menu...

Otherwise, ask for a coke, and you get a cup full of ice, with a drop of coke in it... smile
Posted by Smerk  in  to mischief  on  Wed Apr 06, 2005  at  03:07 AM
I'm sure they do, Smerk - but do they have lots of people sitting round the vats at the processing plant thinking happy thoughts at it first?
Posted by Paul in Prague  in  errr...  on  Wed Apr 06, 2005  at  03:08 AM
I dread to think what they do while sitting round the vats at the processing plant... gulp
Posted by Smerk  in  to mischief  on  Wed Apr 06, 2005  at  03:16 AM
I can just picture thirty guys sitting around "thinking happy thoughts". Aaaaugh!

Paul and Smerk, ya just caused part of my brain to stop functioning.

Like I can afford to lose much more...

LOL
Posted by Rod  in  the land of smarties.  on  Wed Apr 06, 2005  at  03:33 AM
Just in case anyone here thinks that this fruitcake's theories hold any water (pun intended), you should know that he also thinks that all you have to do to "change" water is stick a piece of tape on which is written a word like "happy" or "sad" on the side of the glass it's in and PRESTO! Words have "vibrations"...or something. Yes, seriously.

Go to randi.org if you want to know more about this utter nonsense. Use Goofball's name as a keyword; that ought to get you some thought-provoking stuff.

Remember this idiocy the next time someone starts to talk about the "sophistication" of today's populace.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Wed Apr 06, 2005  at  04:11 AM
I too, Alex, belive this is a load of crap, but a very easy way to feed on money of rich people with nothing better to do with their lives. "Words written on paper?" come on now.
Posted by X  in  McKinney, TX  on  Wed Apr 06, 2005  at  09:49 AM
Honestly, I thought society was supposed to be moving forward. It seems like we have reverted to the dark ages. But wait? Was water happy back then? Or was it ugly looking with bad thoughts?
Posted by Nettie  in  Perth, Western Australia  on  Wed Apr 06, 2005  at  10:22 AM
Yes, Water was much happier in The Dark Ages... as a matter of fact, if you listen closely to the "Greatest Hits of The Spanish Inquisition" album, you can occasionally hear Water giggling and laughing in the background. Happier, but perverse
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Wed Apr 06, 2005  at  10:42 AM
I haven't played that one for a while since the 'Magna Carter in C-' has been on my fav list. I must remember to pull it out and have a listen soon.
Posted by Nettie  in  Perth, Western Australia  on  Wed Apr 06, 2005  at  11:09 AM
He could prove his "theory" the same way most theories are proven. By being able to repeat his "findings" and by it being repeatable by other testers. So if anyone thinks, or writes (whatever), the word happy and then photographs the water crystal... all the "happy" crystals should look the same right? As we all know, this won't happen. But it might be a good way to de-bunk this crap and get this nonsense removed from circulation.
Posted by Mark-N-Isa  in  Midwest USA  on  Wed Apr 06, 2005  at  05:36 PM
It's well-known that water thinks and feels.
That's why it's unethical to drink water. downer
Posted by Big Gary C  in  Dallas, Texas  on  Wed Apr 06, 2005  at  06:23 PM
Sometimes cutting edge new information can be hard to believe (especially for the common masses, let them eat Genetically Modified Cake and Kraft products) and weakly dismissed without any further research. Now this is not all very scientific (what to expect in a country that bottoms list of education among industrialized of the world). as a Science Teacher with many geeky years spent as a Chemistry and Biology, this possibly merits more than this obviously high intelligence heckling. Back in the day, sure the world was flat and the center of the universe and yes there was Santa Claus, we are in a new age today. In this new age, a post modern renaissance in which of whole of human knowledge doubles in less than a year floods an unsuspecting and not ready world. Could you in your infinite wisdom have possibly missed something? Certainly this water is cheaper than other methods. Trying it ones self is the best way to find the truth. Distilled water is the best start.

Quote of the Month

my parents used to say to me, ''Tom, finish your dinner -- people in China are starving.'' But after sailing to the edges of the world for a year, I am now telling my own daughters, ''Girls, finish your homework -- people in China and India are starving for your jobs.''
Posted by the Skeptic  on  Wed Apr 06, 2005  at  06:43 PM
If you're happy and you're water, give good vibes (3X)... If you're happy and you're water, send Hairy a quarter, if you're happy and you're water give good vibes... Everybody:
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Wed Apr 06, 2005  at  06:53 PM
Sorry- Only repeat the first line twice... can't hold my happy water. Mistakes were made. I blame the CIA
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Wed Apr 06, 2005  at  06:56 PM
The Skeptic said:

"Sometimes cutting edge new information can be hard to believe (especially for the common masses, let them eat Genetically Modified Cake and Kraft products) and weakly dismissed without any further research."

Am I to understand, Skeptic, that you BELIEVE that this nonsense is possible? You say that you are a science teacher, yes? And you think that water, a chemical compound with no sensory capabilities, can respond to words written on a piece of tape attached to the side of the glass it's in???

There's just no use in fighting it anymore. We're all doomed as a species.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Thu Apr 07, 2005  at  04:12 AM
I made bubbles in my bath last night, and when they surfaced, they told me what I had for lunch yesterday. I think it's real.
Posted by booch  on  Thu Apr 07, 2005  at  12:36 PM
Thats gross
Posted by X  in  McKinney, TX  on  Thu Apr 07, 2005  at  12:41 PM
Here's some more about "Talking Water." Jesus, people are stupid!

Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Tue Apr 12, 2005  at  07:37 PM
i didn't expect the spanish inquisition.
Posted by flordo bofkonkuldin  on  Wed Apr 13, 2005  at  12:23 AM
"I didn't expect the spanish inquisition." Noone does...
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Wed Apr 13, 2005  at  12:41 AM
Posted by Kyger  in  Washington  on  Thu Apr 21, 2005  at  04:55 PM
Kyger said:

"The comments about this book are more hooey than the book itself. The pictures are there for you to see. (Have any of you actually looked at it)?"

I'm sorry, how do PICTURES prove that water can respond to emotions or do anything other than be wet? Please explain.

"There was not one thoughtful factual rebuttal in all the comments I read, just repitition of predetermined beliefs. This site promotes a sad commentary on intelligent criticism..."

Those "predetermined beliefs" are called SCIENCE. We believe in it/them because they are the best system by which humans can understand the world around us that anyone has yet devised. If you have a better one, please tell us about it so that mankind can benefit.

You DO understand, don't you, that WE don't have to prove anything? It's up to the author or a supporter of the author's premise to demonstrate that the theory of "intelligent water" or whatever it's called is anything other than bizarre irrational nonsense.

If you can prove that water can indeed respond to emotions under controlled conditions, the James Randi Educational Foundation has a million-dollar prize waiting for you. I direct you to their site, randi.org, for the details. Good luck.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Fri Apr 22, 2005  at  03:18 AM

I am totally serious. http://www.randi.org/jr/052005la.html#4

One of the ministers was my own minister at my RS church I attended for 17 years. Unbelievable.

Can anyone say: Galileo?
Posted by Conrad Askland  in  Southern California  on  Mon May 23, 2005  at  10:11 PM
Conrad Askland said:

"Would you believe it if I told you ministers were preaching from the pulpit that Mr. Emoto's work is proven science and that we can purify water with our minds?"

Yes, unfortunately, I WOULD believe it. There is no definable line between "religion" and "superstition." Those ministers are straddling any line anyone could point out. They're nuts.

"I have talked with two ministers at the Church of Religious Science about preaching pseudo-science and I am told that the truth is "my reality"?"

Yup, in the same sense that gravity is just "your reality." Tell these goofs to jump off a high building. After all, crashing to Earth is just "their reality."
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Tue May 24, 2005  at  05:44 AM
you know how he said that unpolluted water (pure?) creates colourful and beautiful crystals, and the polluted water creates dull, ugly crystals. well my theory is that the more pure the water the less non-water particles there are to a) muck up the ideal water crystal lattice and b) create different colours by not allowing the clear water particles to refract light as the pure water would. no pollutants = light refracting differently and hence there's not brilliant white or pretty rainbows shining through the crystal's structure. of course pure water is gpoing to bond better to itself thus creating perfect water crystals, if there's pollutants in there then they'll 'get in the way' how technical, but i bet i'm right.
Posted by Toodlepip  in  Australia  on  Tue Oct 25, 2005  at  10:26 PM
woops, typo, i mean: pollutants = light refracting differently and hence there's not brilliant white or pretty rainbows shining through the crystal's structure
Posted by toodlepip  in  Australia  on  Tue Oct 25, 2005  at  10:29 PM
Comments: Page 1 of 5 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›