Flying Car on Google Earth
Status: Undetermined
The Register has found what appears to be a flying car, captured by the satellite imagery of Google Earth. It's definitely either a flying car, a car parked alongside a dark-looking patch on the ground, a car-shaped object floating in the air... or maybe a UFO! The Register provides some screenshots of the object, but unfortunately no direct link. (Google Maps doesn't cover Australia, so you'll need the Google Earth program to see it). The mysterious object is located at Pt. Walter in Perth, Australia.

image image
Photos/VideosPlacesTechnology
Posted by The Curator on Tue Jan 24, 2006

*Makes a note to keep an eye out for flying cars*
Posted by Smerk  in  to mischief  on  Tue Jan 24, 2006  at  01:39 AM
And it is available on <a >Google Maps</a>. You just have to be very patient to search for it.
Posted by Smerk  in  to mischief  on  Tue Jan 24, 2006  at  01:49 AM
It could always be a car on a stick.
Posted by daniel  in  england  on  Tue Jan 24, 2006  at  03:01 AM
Maybe it's in the middle of an accident. The car could have hit a wall and be flying though the air...
Posted by davetolomy  on  Tue Jan 24, 2006  at  04:33 AM
Thats no car. Thats a billboard, you can see the posts holing it up. Its just an optical illusion. Sorry folks.
Posted by C  in  UK  on  Tue Jan 24, 2006  at  05:37 AM
C, I bet you go around telling little kids there's no Santa too.
Posted by Craig  on  Tue Jan 24, 2006  at  07:27 AM
Yeah! Spoilsport!
Posted by eovti  in  Sandefjord, Norway  on  Tue Jan 24, 2006  at  08:29 AM
It's a white car parked beside a black one -- that looks like its shadow.
But it cannot be its shadowd, because it does not match the other shadows on the surrounding scene.
Check:
For an image made by our team of monkeys trained by the CIA to analyze aerial imagery.
Posted by Kentaro Mori  on  Tue Jan 24, 2006  at  08:38 AM
Looks like a billboard to me.
Posted by JoeSixpack  on  Tue Jan 24, 2006  at  09:46 AM
Actually, it looks like an above ground storage tank, like the kind used to store petrol or water. It is too large to be a car. Compare it to the ones in the parking lot.
Posted by BugbearSloth  in  earth, 3rd planet, sol system  on  Tue Jan 24, 2006  at  09:57 AM
Smerk, I can't get it on google maps. Maybe it's because I'm southern California. Google might restrict the Australian satellite imagery to people in Australia.
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Tue Jan 24, 2006  at  02:56 PM
Scratch that. Suddenly it worked.
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Tue Jan 24, 2006  at  02:58 PM
I think it's one of those advertising blimps or balloons such as car dealerships use. You can see both its tether and the tether's shadow heading towards the woods.
Posted by Lyra  on  Tue Jan 24, 2006  at  03:02 PM
It's a car. Somebody though it was a dwarf...
Posted by Mark  on  Tue Jan 24, 2006  at  04:14 PM
It could be a car on a stick. There is a car on top of a tower outside an auto museum in Renmark, South Australia (right next to the Big Orange).

It's probably a storage tank, though. It looks to be about 50% larger than the cars in the car park across the road.
Posted by Blondin  on  Tue Jan 24, 2006  at  04:41 PM
Because the shadow appears a bit darker than other shadows, I thought it was a car next to a black pickup, creating the illusion of a shadow. But the shadow DOES match the angle of other shadows (look at the left edge of the line of trees by the body of water at the left side of the pic). Also the shadow is the same shape as the object, squared on the lower right and somewhat rounded on the upper left. There do appear to be posts holding whatever it is up. I measured, it is the same or close to the same size as other vehicles in the nearby lot. The angle makes it look bigger, but it's really not. I don't think it's a billboard, wrong angle for visibility from the road. If it's a raised structure like a tank, it appears to be in an odd location. Likewise if it is a car on posts as an advertisement. It looks too tall to be an open-air roof, such as a picnic shelter. So... I vote for finding an email address for an alternative newspaper in Perth and encouraging one of their offbeat journalists to solve this.
Posted by skeptic53  on  Tue Jan 24, 2006  at  11:27 PM
P.S. It is at 32 degrees 00' 42.95" South, 115 degrees 47' 10.95" East on Google Earth. Put in Bicton, Australia. ENE of the square marked Bicton is a golf course with a long sandy point north of the course. The "flying car" is at the north end of the land, just south of the sandspit. It's in a large park north of the golf course, with a long dock and playing fields nearby. The road deadends in a large turnaround just north of the parking lot, making it an unlikely spot for a billboard or a commercial structure. Although it still looks too tall to be so, it probably is some short of shelter or bandstand cover.
Posted by skeptic53  on  Wed Jan 25, 2006  at  12:03 AM
Skeptic53: So... I vote for finding an email address for an alternative newspaper in Perth and encouraging one of their offbeat journalists to solve this.

Yup...or it'd make an interesting drive for myself this weekend...
Posted by Smerk  in  to mischief  on  Wed Jan 25, 2006  at  12:06 AM
My research shows that this is indeed a flying can; a DeLorean none the less. It was built during the 80s by a colleague of mine Dr. Emmett Brown, and driven by his apprectice Mr Marty McFly.
Posted by Dr Stink  in  UK  on  Wed Jan 25, 2006  at  09:30 AM
Hell, I can build a flying can!

Dolt!
Posted by Craig  on  Wed Jan 25, 2006  at  09:38 AM
It isn't larger than all the other cars in the parking lot, as some people have said. In fact, it's a little smaller than some of them. And since the terrain around it is all flat and the "car" looks to be at least a dozen feet up in the air, I doubt that it's a car that hit a bump and got launched airborne (unless the Aussies have developed a car that can hit Mach 4). And the shadow isn't a black car parked near it, because if it was then the "flying car" doesn't have any shadow on the ground.

If it is a car, my guess would be that it's been put up on poles like a billboard. I've seen that done several times by car dealerships or repair shops; maybe somebody put it up to advertise the parking lot? Or, it could be something else up on poles that only looks like a car from this angle. Since the sun is coming from such a high angle down onto it, we can't really tell much about the vertical shape of the thing. We can only see that it's as wide as a car and as long as a car.
Posted by Accipiter  on  Wed Jan 25, 2006  at  01:26 PM
This is an awning up on poles, perhaps for a parking lot attendant to sit under for shade. You can even see the poles at the bottom right and left.
Posted by mmmark  on  Thu Jan 26, 2006  at  01:29 PM
It looks like a water tower.
Posted by Nancy  in  Albuquerque,NM  on  Thu Jan 26, 2006  at  01:56 PM
What none of you realize is that they were filming Back To The Future IV when this photo was taken. If you look real close, you can see Michael J. Fox eating a chilidog in the drivers seat.
Posted by Mr. Knowitall  in  Hollywood  on  Thu Jan 26, 2006  at  05:21 PM
I sure hope smerk is planning on making that drive this weekend. Although it seems unlikely that the car would have been flying so slow that it hasn't moved.
Posted by hcmomof4  on  Thu Jan 26, 2006  at  06:23 PM
BTW, do people realise that some of the images on Google maps are a bit dated? There might not actually be anything there, now. But if I get the chance, I'll go check it out...
Posted by Smerk  in  to mischief  on  Thu Jan 26, 2006  at  08:21 PM
There wasn't anything there by Jan. 25th according to this http://www.theregister.com/2006/01/25/flying_car_launch_site/

Sorry, I'm too lazy to figure out how to turn it into a link...
Posted by hcmomof4  on  Fri Jan 27, 2006  at  12:34 AM
It's quite a popular recreation area, I've been there a few times myself in the past. As I recall there are a few signs around, but my guess is that it's a shade awning or picnic shelter. I've sent the link to a mate who lives in Bicton, I'll let you know what he thinks... if Smerk doesn't get there first.
Posted by Monyet Miskin  in  Perth  on  Fri Jan 27, 2006  at  07:19 AM
Oops, I didn't realise this went to a second page when I posted the above comment.
So the car's already flown away? That's disappointing.
Posted by Monyet Miskin  in  Perth  on  Fri Jan 27, 2006  at  07:29 AM
More flying cars spotted on:
Posted by Dude!  in  Earth  on  Fri Jan 27, 2006  at  08:03 AM
Comments: Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >