Fake Smile Test

Status: Psychology test
image I've linked to a fake smile test before, but this one hosted by the BBC (and designed by Professor Paul Ekman, from the University of California) is more elaborate since it allows you to see actual video clips of people smiling. I did quite badly at differentiating the real from the fake, scoring only 9 out of 20. The blurb at the conclusion of the test notes that "Most people are surprisingly bad at spotting fake smiles. One possible explanation for this is that it may be easier for people to get along if they don't always know what others are really feeling." That made me feel a bit better. The blurb also explains that "when a smile is genuine, the eye cover fold - the fleshy part of the eye between the eyebrow and the eyelid - moves downwards and the end of the eyebrows dip slightly." However, I don't think knowing that will significantly improve anyone's score on the test.

Posted on Tue Nov 15, 2005

More content from the Hoax Museum:

18/20! woah.. such an interesting design from Mr.Paul Ekman.. Now i can use it psychologically.. cheers mate!
Posted by johnbaem  in  malaysia  on  Tue Jul 22, 2008  at  06:41 PM

does being pessimistic or optimistic have anything to do with the result?
Posted by khalil  in  Jordan  on  Sun Sep 14, 2008  at  12:26 AM
Khalil, yes, it might . . . depressed people tend to project their feelings upon other people and this colours their perception. I know when I am down, even the most charming of my friends 'seems' to be making an effort when she smiles, but she is being genuine.
Posted by D F Stuckey  in  AUckland New Zealand  on  Sun Sep 14, 2008  at  01:00 AM
right? because the way i see it, is that people who tend to be pessimistic always tend to pre-analyze situations and people at the same time, where they can instantly know the truth behind most of these situations and how these people reacted to it.

thanks for your thoughtfull view
Posted by khalil  in  Jordan  on  Sun Sep 14, 2008  at  05:24 PM
Got 17/20 correct. I guess it's true that the eyes are the window to the soul.
Posted by Bill  on  Fri Jan 30, 2009  at  09:56 PM
First time I got a 9 out of 20, without looking at the answers i just read the blurb at the end. Then I did the test again with what I Learned and got a 19 out of 20. remind you I did not look at the answers. all I did was look at the eyes and eye brow the 2nd time.
Posted by Brandon Davis  in  MN  on  Thu Mar 04, 2010  at  01:10 PM
19/20 eyes are telling a whole story
Posted by fedor  in  serbia  on  Tue Sep 21, 2010  at  05:18 PM
Comments: Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2