Easy Millionaire Question
I'm a pretty loyal 'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire' viewer. It usually comes on after I'm done with dinner and I'm too lazy to get up, so I just sit there watching it. I've seen some viewers get some very easy questions wrong on the show, but I'd find it hard to believe that anyone would really need help on this question. I'm guessing that either the question has been changed in this screenshot, or answer B has been altered to make it the obvious choice.
image
EntertainmentPhotos/Videos
Posted by The Curator on Wed Mar 30, 2005

Um... actually, my astronomy professor put that question on one of our tests, and many students did get it wrong!

I'd just like to know how much the question was worth... If I had to ask for help on one of the easy beginning questions, I think I'd just stand up and walk off the stage.
Posted by Karen  in  Reno  on  Wed Mar 30, 2005  at  01:31 AM
I remember seeing this. I laughed when I saw the question and was shocked when she asked for her "lifeline".

I think she said, after she answered, that the answer was so obvious that she thought it was a trick question.

On a little side note, but also keeping somewhat on topic, someone sent me this link earlier today.
Posted by Rod  in  the land of smarties.  on  Wed Mar 30, 2005  at  01:38 AM
Hah! That's a good link, Rod. It also goes to show I watch too much Simpsons. I bombed out on the second last question. LOL
Also (back on topic) that screen shot does seem pretty unbelievable. We get an aussie version of Millionaire (which I don't watch - simply because I get so frustrated when they take 10 minutes to answer a simple question), so I wouldn't know if they've used that question here.
Posted by Smerk  in  to mischief  on  Wed Mar 30, 2005  at  01:46 AM
I knew of a person studying Chemical Engineering at Cornell who thought that the sun was a planet rather than a star. How do you get into college without knowing something so basic?
Posted by Ryan Johnston  on  Wed Mar 30, 2005  at  01:46 AM
How do you get to be vice president and not know how to spell potato?
hmmm
Posted by Rod  in  the land of smarties.  on  Wed Mar 30, 2005  at  02:37 AM
That Simpsons one is fabulous.
Bloody last question, though.

And my word was millivanilli.
hmmm
Posted by Boo  on  Wed Mar 30, 2005  at  04:08 AM
...I don't know anything about the sky except that My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pickles.

And then they took Pickles from me too.
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Wed Mar 30, 2005  at  06:52 AM
I was shocked that 20% of the audience got the answer wrong!
Posted by Peter Hassall  in  New Zealand  on  Wed Mar 30, 2005  at  08:58 AM
I happened to see that episode too!! In fact, I posted about it on sci.astro.amateur after she missed it!
Posted by Frederick J. Barnett  in  Sorrento, LA  on  Wed Mar 30, 2005  at  09:23 AM
The answer is "Bird"
Posted by X  in  McKinney, TX  on  Wed Mar 30, 2005  at  09:29 AM
This is to be believed, for most Terrans are stupid. Once, while hosting my program on Radio Raoul, I offered a trivia question asking: What is the 3rd planet from the Sun? I got no correct answer. Stupids
Posted by Raoul  on  Wed Mar 30, 2005  at  09:34 AM
I say it this way, Maegan:
My Very Elegant Mother Just Sat Upon Nine Porcupines.

There's also:

Naughty Elephants Squirt Water.
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Wed Mar 30, 2005  at  10:39 AM
I like: Naught Elephants Crap Cocoanuts. Also: My Vicar Examines Micheal Jackson's Stained Neocon Underwear Promptly. I rrrrrraoul
Posted by Raoul  on  Wed Mar 30, 2005  at  10:51 AM
Damnit.
The current advert for Irn Bru has a Raoul in it. I suspect it's our Raoul, too.
He's a very muscly Mediterranean lothario, who's trying to sleep with two semi-attractive girls.
So I've had (imagine humorous pigeon english here)
"Laideeesss, loook at Rrrrrraoul bounceeng up and down!"
going round and round and round in my head.
Plus then he gets his g-string swimming trunks ripped off and falls in the pool.
Rrraoul, I'm imagining your arse.
tongue wink
Posted by Boo  in  The Land of the Haggii...  on  Wed Mar 30, 2005  at  11:01 AM
If you miss this... you deserve NOTHING. Go home... and shouldn't the correct answer have been "Sol" and not just the generic word Sun? All stars qualify as Suns right? Ours is named Sol is it not?
Posted by Mark-N-Isa  in  Midwest USA  on  Wed Mar 30, 2005  at  01:48 PM
Did see a $250,000 question once that was...

"What's the average distace from the Earth to the Sun in miles?

A)93,000
B)930,000
c)93,000,000
D)9,300,000,000

I thought it was a pretty easy question and was shocked when the guy missed it. I thought it was unbelievable that he missed that one, but to miss this one? Come on... I've taken the entry exam for that show once and it was one hell of a lot harder than this shit!!!
Posted by Mark-N-Isa  in  Midwest USA  on  Wed Mar 30, 2005  at  01:54 PM
One of my co-workers didn't know who was president during the Civil War, her excuse being that she HATES history. Our history-buff boss likes to throw out random questions like that. I kept trying to give her hints (who freed the slaves?) but to no avail.
Posted by hippievet  on  Wed Mar 30, 2005  at  03:50 PM
I had always heard ...Just Sat Upon Nine Pizzas. I think I like nine porcupines better.
Posted by hippievet  on  Wed Mar 30, 2005  at  03:52 PM
Sorry, Boo- no G-string or French Bikini for Raoul. Raoul swims in the buff, or not at all. That is how it is done in The Land of My Birth, now and forever. Rrrrrraoul
Posted by Raoul  on  Wed Mar 30, 2005  at  04:22 PM
The very few times I've seen bits of "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" I thought all the questions were shockingly easy. If they showed a contestant two pictures and asked "Which one is your butt and which one is a hole in the ground?", he or she would probably do several minutes' worth of groaning and head-scratching, poll the audience, call a friend, and then get it wrong.
Posted by Big Gary C  in  Dallas, Texas  on  Wed Mar 30, 2005  at  07:07 PM
Raoul's favorite "Millionaire" question: "Why is Rrrraoul shamelessly plugging Barnacle Billy and The Platonic Solids"? It's the only way I will get my car back, according to the ransom note.
Posted by Raoul  on  Wed Mar 30, 2005  at  07:11 PM
I was always told My Very Enormous Mother Jumps Sideways Upon Naughty People.
Posted by Smerk  in  to mischief  on  Wed Mar 30, 2005  at  07:32 PM
In answer to Raouls' favorite Millionaire question of "Why is he shamelessly plugging Barnacle Billy and The Platonic Solids?" The answer Raoul depends on whether or not you're being paid by them to endorse their product. If you're being paid by them, for these shameless endorsements, then you're a "shill." If you're not being paid for these shameless endorsements then you're a "tool." No I'm not just calling you names... these are actual terms I learned earlier in the "Axe to Grind" thread.

So, which are you? Shill or tool?
Posted by Mark-N-Isa  in  Midwest USA  on  Wed Mar 30, 2005  at  07:41 PM
My guess is for "tool." wink
Posted by Mark-N-Isa  in  Midwest USA  on  Wed Mar 30, 2005  at  07:42 PM
"Naughty Elephants Squirt Water"?

That's a new one. I was taught Never Eat Shredded Wheat.
Posted by Rod  in  the land of smarties.  on  Wed Mar 30, 2005  at  07:47 PM
We also have Never Eat Soggy Weatbix. Just because soggy weatbix sucks.
Posted by Smerk  in  to mischief  on  Wed Mar 30, 2005  at  08:01 PM
A Shool? You call Raoul a "Shool"? Raoul is no fool, tool or shool. I am bound by my love of The American Automobile to regain my 1967 Plymouth Satellite from those who have taken her. For this you call me a Shool? Hah Hah Hah... I shall have my revenge
Posted by Raoul  on  Wed Mar 30, 2005  at  08:08 PM
For those who have felt the throb of her Slant-Six 225 cu. inches, the suction of her single-barrelled Holley carb, and the drum of her well-lubed universal joint, there would be no question. Shill, or Die without her? I must Shill
Posted by Raoul  on  Wed Mar 30, 2005  at  08:28 PM
that's Barnacle Billy and The Platonic Solids, Baltimore, USA, on Rrrrraoul Must Shill Records
Posted by Raoul  on  Wed Mar 30, 2005  at  08:30 PM
The name of the sun?

Cornell has a site with all things astronomy...

The last link has a pic that Charybdis might like, but has probably already seen...
Posted by Rod  in  the land of smarties.  on  Wed Mar 30, 2005  at  08:39 PM
Comments: Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >