Dog in a Shell
image At first I thought these were real dogs... like some kind of mutant copy-cat version of Bonsai Kitten. But no, the dogs appear to be models. Still, it's a rather odd idea. I can understand buying a model of a dog (I've bought a few myself). But why stick it in a Philippine Tonna shell? On the other hand, if you're looking for a unique gift, this has unique written all over it. Could make a good wedding gift. (via Sect of Rama)
Animals
Posted by The Curator on Tue Nov 16, 2004

People make all kinds of dumb, crazy ass knick knack gifts. It's just the way of the world.
Posted by Reynard Muldrake  on  Tue Nov 16, 2004  at  06:35 AM
In a lot of the gift shops in Florida it's very common to see things in shells, on shells, next to shells, under shells...I'm not really that into shells, so I don't have any of those...but it is cute when they make cats or dogs out of shells...(each shell is a different body part, arms, legs, heads...)

If it's a stupid knick-knack, it's been sold in a gift shop in Florida.
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Tue Nov 16, 2004  at  09:59 AM
How do you get gifts out of the addict?
Does she work in the gift shop?
Or is she just very generous while high?
Posted by Big Gary C  in  Dallas, Texas  on  Tue Nov 16, 2004  at  07:12 PM
I always say, never trust an addict bearing gifts.
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Tue Nov 16, 2004  at  07:30 PM
Tackiest florida gift I ever saw . . . those holy water things with pink flamingos and plastic shells pasted all over it . . . ick.
Posted by Ariel  on  Tue Nov 16, 2004  at  07:48 PM
Paul, this is what the machine translation says that you're saying:

I ga hither yet nothing within the Dutch picket? Who zouden yours too not enjoy , Thus pardonable my who spelling mistake??

Is that about right?
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Tue Nov 16, 2004  at  08:09 PM
So, as automated translations go, I guess that wasn't a bad one (yes, one meaning of "picket" is more or less synonymous with one meaning of "post"), but my job as a human translator feels safe for now.
Posted by Big Gary C  in  Dallas, Texas  on  Tue Nov 16, 2004  at  09:16 PM
A real forum? Well then, good thing this is a hoax forum.
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Tue Nov 16, 2004  at  09:28 PM
I keep them in a box & put them out when we get the visitors that gave them. I LIVE in Florida! The old bats that only visit once a year seem to forget that. Also, if you have a collection of 30, you probably only have to display 15, since they can easily be confused with each other.
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Wed Nov 17, 2004  at  09:58 AM
Since this comments section is a bit off topic anyways it will be perfect for my off-topic comment:

Why are all the comments getting posted backwards. I mean, forwards. Backwards from how they use to be posted. Before all the changing the posting rules, new posts went at the beginning, so it's easy to see what is new. Now new posts go at the end. Is that just me? Is it an individual thing? Do I have individual preferences somewhere where I can change it back? I keep forgetting and am reading everything in the wrong order and getting confused.

Oh, and also:
ani rotza lerot atah takera ele alex!
Posted by Razela  in  Chicago, IL  on  Wed Nov 17, 2004  at  06:57 PM
Heh Paul, close, but if I were to say that it would be more like this:

bevakasha, shamta rosh shecha bne shedaym nayimim gedolim shli Alex!
Posted by Razela  in  Chicago, IL  on  Thu Nov 18, 2004  at  12:17 AM
Paul, you've got a vivid imagination.
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Thu Nov 18, 2004  at  01:37 AM
Yep, it is hebrew. It says "I want to see you read this alex". I just think it's funny because you would have alot of trouble trying to use a translating program on that since hebrew doesn't use latin letters. I basically just transliterated the sounds of the words in hebrew to english letters. To translate, you would have to transcribe it into the hebrew alphabet before you could start looking up words or using any sort of program.

I'm just curious, but why did you guess it was hebrew?
Posted by Razela  in  Chicago, IL  on  Thu Nov 18, 2004  at  09:36 PM
THAT must have scared the **** out of you, Paul.
Posted by Big Gary C  in  Dallas, Texas  on  Fri Nov 19, 2004  at  08:38 PM
Yes, I thought you meant Ariel Sharon. Sounding like him is what would be so terrifying.
If you look up "thug" in the dictionary, I think you'll find Sharon's picture there.
Posted by Big Gary C  in  Dallas, Texas  on  Mon Nov 22, 2004  at  09:55 PM
they have dogs in little baskets.... would that make it a "Bitch in a basket?"
Posted by Rob  in  N.Yorks UK  on  Fri Jul 15, 2005  at  11:33 AM