Chupacabra Captured?
Posted on YouTube, a news report from Coleman, Texas, talks of a creature (described as "A mix between a hairless dog, a rat, and a kangaroo") that has been trapped by a farmer. The farmer had set the trap after some of his turkeys and chickens had been killed.
The animal has been sent to Texas Parks and Wildlife in the hope that they can discover what exactly it is.

(Thanks, Tah and Christopher.)
Animals
Posted by Boo on Mon Oct 16, 2006
The appearance of the chupacabra looks different everytime I see it.
Isn't this image (the following link) a replica of what the thing is supposed to look like?

This video shows something that looks like a lamb with missing legs...
hmm...
Posted by Dily  in  West Virginia  on  Mon Oct 16, 2006  at  09:58 AM
The news anchor says "known for sucking blood out of goats."

And I thought the verb "know" actually meant something.
Posted by JoeDaJuggler  in  St. Louis, MO  on  Mon Oct 16, 2006  at  11:29 AM
My money's on another coyote with mange.
Posted by Terry Austin  in  Surf City USA  on  Mon Oct 16, 2006  at  11:29 AM
video wont work for me. :(
Posted by red_dragon_girl_69  in  Earth, I think  on  Mon Oct 16, 2006  at  12:32 PM
Doesn't look like a cross of anything to me,... just a dead wallaby or kangaroo.

PS> Nice jpg Dily...
Posted by Roger  on  Mon Oct 16, 2006  at  02:53 PM
those wacky Texans LOL I agree with Terry...coyote.

Quote(s) from Dily
The appearance of the chupacabra looks different everytime I see it.
_____________________________________________
Well, since it doesn't actually exist it's no wonder every depiction of it varies fantastically.
___________________________________________

______________________________
see above response
Posted by Chuck  in  Rhode Island  on  Mon Oct 16, 2006  at  02:58 PM
At least THIS time, the Citizen didn't claim he got one, and then toss into the rubbish pile, or bury it somewhere he couldn't quite remember...
-Maz, by the Arizona border, where the chupacabras roam wild and free.
Posted by mazinga  in  Southeastern Arizona, U.S. of A.  on  Mon Oct 16, 2006  at  09:07 PM
Isn't the best known cryptozoologist named Loren Coleman? A chupacabra caught in a city with his name smells fishy...or ratty...or whatever the hell that thing is supposed to be.
Posted by Mark  on  Mon Oct 16, 2006  at  09:25 PM
looks like a sick dog to me!
Posted by mike  on  Tue Oct 17, 2006  at  09:28 AM
OK, a few questions. One, does anyone have a good map of Texas so we can determine if there really is a Coleman TX? Two, at the end of the video the rancher is holding a still photo of the creature, earlier the new report showed a picture of the creature, was the earlier picture of hte creature or of the photo of the creature? Third, has anyone talked to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department to determine if they actually have the creature? (It takes an unusual mentallity to combine parks and parties as a government agency.) And the last question, JoeDaJuggler, I agree with your observation about known but since when has TV news every been accurate, even with the words they use?
To me the creature looks like a young kangaroo, but that might have been how the front legs were placed. The rear legs look like a coyote or a skinny kangaroo.
Posted by Christopher Cole  in  Tucson, AZ  on  Tue Oct 17, 2006  at  01:33 PM
Coleman, Texas is just SE of Abilene (which, incidentally, is where the Yisrael Hawkins Doomsday cult is, which is completely irrelevent, but that's just how I am).

Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Tue Oct 17, 2006  at  02:40 PM
Yes, I know that part of Texas, and if you were ever going to capture a chupacabra, that area would be the place to do it.

But I thought Chupacabras were supposed to suck milk from goats, not blood ... ?
Posted by Big Gary  in  Sweetwater, Texas  on  Tue Oct 17, 2006  at  06:33 PM
This is an old report...

Posted by J.P.  in  Abilene, TX  on  Tue Oct 17, 2006  at  10:48 PM
I think literally chupa-cabra means "goat-suck". It could be sucking whatever it wanted to out of goats.
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Wed Oct 18, 2006  at  01:13 AM
What an uplifting thought, Maegan. hmmm
Posted by Big Gary  in  Little Elm, Texas  on  Thu Oct 19, 2006  at  06:50 PM
I've seen something very similar a few months back, another segment where a farmer claimed to have found a "new species" that looked almost identical to this "chupacubra".

In the first case, scientists determined it to be a malnourished dog, and to me I think this is the same thing.
Posted by Hugo  in  Earth  on  Fri Oct 20, 2006  at  10:18 PM
call Raoul old fashion, but I don't approve of sucking goats. Milking the goats is okay, but no sucking. There are just some things even I, Raoul, Expert In These Things, will not do, but the list is very small, and sucking the goats is way up there with being chased with dead fish. I hate that, but who does not, but don't get me started, okay? Ha ha ha Rrrraoul
Posted by Raoul  on  Fri Oct 20, 2006  at  11:04 PM
Chupacabras is more like goat-sucker, actually... And, it's... blood, not milk. The animals don't die of milk-loss. And, this looks like another sick dog. I thought the chupacabras of legends was supposed to be... well, not a dog-like creature. Also, there's an 'S' there. And it's not silent. Chupacabras. And Christopher, I think it's a photo of the photo, since it does say he sent it in to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. I assume it was before the interview thing?
Posted by Aldo  in  The Funny Farm  on  Tue Oct 31, 2006  at  07:01 PM
That's not what my chupacabra, Chuck looks like. Chuck's got some bony protrusions starting at the back of his head and running down his back. He's got little wings too, but he can't fly, or at least he never flew around me. (His real name is Carlos, but he wants folks to think he's from Texas so I give him a little leeway.) Anyhow, Halloween is his favorite holiday. When the neighborhood kids come to the door and declare, "Trick or Treat!", I call out in a jolly voice, "Sic 'em, Chuck!" and he chases every single one down until he gets their candy bags. Me and Chuck miss Texas sometimes, but there's lots more to eat up here. Oh yeah, NO WAY I'm telling where I am or sending in pictures and stuff. Heck, they'd have poor old Chuck on a dissection table lickity-split!
Happy Halloween Yall! and Chucks says howdy!
Posted by Ken Graves  in  Indiana  on  Tue Oct 31, 2006  at  08:36 PM
Compare it to this red fox photo. It is an starved red fox.
Posted by blackomne  in  Wyoming  on  Fri Nov 03, 2006  at  06:44 PM
I live in jefferson barracks-st.louis mo. 63125 ,have alot of woods . near the national cemertary of Jefferson Barracks . I have many deer and schuncks possums and what not , I call them my pets . I have received a letter from my landlord to quite feeding the rodents . I just can`t stand putting in the trash , besides they climb in our dumpers anyway . On mon. Jan. 1st 2007 , I threw out some hot dogs back of my apt. door , around 2:30 and at 2:45 I was or what ? Had looked out my back door , I yelled to my boyfriend to look out !!! I have told the office that where I rent from what I had seen . 2 ,not dogs , looked like reddish blonde kangaroos , like a spinks !? of the history we studied in school !!! I think the office thinks I am nuts , but that was what I know I saw !! And I do live in a wooded area , but they are building alot around now . Thank you , If anyone reads this . Annie
Posted by annie buchheit  in  st.louis mo  on  Fri Jan 05, 2007  at  06:29 AM
OK SERIUOSLY IF THIS IS SOME MYSTERY ANIMAL AND IT DOESNT WANNA B MESSED WITH ...THEN PEOPLE SHOULD JUST LEAVE IT ALONE...
Posted by lllppp  on  Sat Jan 20, 2007  at  09:46 PM
Oh, good gosh. The Chupacabra thing...again. Didn't they determine that it was a coyote with mange? Chupacabra, along with so many other "monsters" is bunk. There's a common thread here - usually it's mentioned to kids, like the bogeyman (although in my house growing up, we were told horror stories about a far more hideous monster, one with an insatiable hunger that sucks the life out of anyone and everyone it can find and cannot be killed).
Think about these mythic beasts, like the Loch Ness Monster, or any other cryptid in a remote locations. In those kind of remote locations, like Loch Ness, you have a small town where the locals tell tourists or outsiders of a horrible creature that haunts that place. Why? Simple - because small town people love to screw with gullible tourists! It's one of their biggest past times! Just like how parents like to mes with their kids - because their parents did it to them because it's fun.
This guy is a farmer - he's out in Hicksville. This means that either he really believes it's the Chupacabra, or he's pulling the collective legs of people from "the city."
Posted by AnnanAmos  in  USA  on  Thu Sep 10, 2009  at  03:59 PM