Can of Dehydrated Water
Dehydrated water is an old joke, but I've never actually seen a can of the stuff. Here one is, posted on Flickr by David Reeves. His caption reads, "Spotted on the chemical storage shelf in an adjacent laboratory." The strange thing is that Bernard Food Industries, the company listed as the maker of this product, is a real company. Why were they manufacturing this stuff? I assume it was a joke.

Update: Looks like these cans must have been a gag product that Bernard Foods produced at some time, because someone is selling one on eBay. Perhaps I'll bid on it.
Food
Posted by The Curator on Wed Oct 24, 2007
I have a can of this stuff, purchased it some years ago, quite humorous
Posted by Tim  in  California  on  Wed Dec 30, 2009  at  12:32 AM
That's funny. So basically it's a can of humid air LOL
Posted by Water damage Sacramento  on  Fri Jan 01, 2010  at  11:21 PM
hmmm Never questioned the humidity or aridity of the contents before but since the directions say to open a can and add to a gallon of water and stir for instant water I would say the contents are rather on the arid side - this keeps getting better all the time LOL
Posted by Mike  in  Pittsburgh  on  Sat Jan 02, 2010  at  10:23 PM
This could be good to send to Haiti.
Posted by Candy de Asis  in  St. John, Virgin Islands  on  Wed Jan 20, 2010  at  10:45 AM
Don't be tricked by this fakery. I bought 2 dozen of these 30 some odd years ago and when I needed them for a drought to save on water consumption for a few months, they all had NOTHING inside them. We called the company the next day, and apparently they weren't meant to have anything in them. What a load of false advertisement.
Posted by SCREW LYING  in  New Mexico  on  Fri Jan 22, 2010  at  12:17 AM
"Don't be tricked by this fakery."?
"What a load of false advertisement."?
Please, tell me you're being sarcastic.
Really, if a person is really this gullable, they deserve to be tricked IMHO.

I love gag products. Remember the electric corncob toilet paper replacer? That's right, for those who don't know, it was a corn cob with an electric cord stuck in it meant to substitute TP as a gag of course. Low brow yes but it was very popular in rural Minnesota about 30 years ago as a gag gift.
Posted by Rehydrated  in  North Carolina  on  Tue Jan 26, 2010  at  12:19 PM
This is also produced by J. Rosemblum & Sons from Paterson NJ, it says Lord Sterling Dehydrated Water, I have it here sitting on my desk next to my computer....
Posted by Jim  in  New Jersey  on  Thu Jun 10, 2010  at  03:02 AM
sorry, Roenblum.......
Posted by Jim  in  New Jersey  on  Thu Jun 10, 2010  at  03:03 AM
WOW that is the most useless thing that i have ever seen, all the people that have baught this can are ******
Posted by Jerome  in  69  on  Thu Oct 07, 2010  at  03:19 PM
People buy stuff almost this ridiculous everyday... It's really amazing what marketers can get people to buy wink
Posted by Marvin  on  Sun Jan 02, 2011  at  03:05 PM
Marvin - please tell me you are kidding? This is a gag and anyone who reads the label on the can would know that. There are recipes and instructions for creating a gallon of water with it; (Open can, pour into a gallon of water, stir, serve), etc. Also they are not really sold unless requested specifically - they are normally distributed as a gag-advertisement for a company that produces dehydrated foods, which are very useful in camping and emergencies. Other things in life are far more serious than this to worry about or criticize. Learn to laugh a little, first at yourself, then WITH others.
Posted by MIke  in  Pittsburgh  on  Sun Jan 02, 2011  at  03:20 PM
My grandmother had a can of dehydrated water in her office
Posted by Julie  on  Fri Jan 14, 2011  at  03:01 AM
I have had one of these cans for nearly 45 years - it is from the original 1964 run and is in very good shape!
Posted by Stephen Eskelson  in  anoka mn  on  Sun Apr 08, 2012  at  06:51 PM
My father worked for American Can Co. In San Jose in the late 50's. I'm the proud keeper of my fathers can of Bernard Dehydrated Water. My father always kept it in the back of our food pantry in the dark, its one of the items I asked for before he past away. My uncle George Harnik who just past away was a senior VP for American Can Co. He called it a can of Vacuum when he wrote about it in his Snap-Shot of his life as an iternational executive.
Posted by Robert Will  in  Sacramento  on  Fri Sep 14, 2012  at  11:08 PM
Hi, I have a can of pittco Dehydrated water. These were given out by salesmen as gag gifts. I'd be willing to part with mine.
Posted by Dryw Loney  in  PIttsburgh Pa.  on  Fri Oct 05, 2012  at  06:52 PM
All I want to say is...Brilliant!
Posted by Emily Stevens  in  SLC...WHERE THE AIR IN THE DEHYDRATED WATER CAN IS  on  Tue Jan 29, 2013  at  03:28 PM
Where can I purchase one of these? cool smirk
Posted by Loretta Lustig  in  Indio, CA  on  Sat Sep 14, 2013  at  01:12 PM
Comments: Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2