Bug-Eyed Hillary Clinton Was Photoshopped
Status: Satire
A photo of a bug-eyed Senator Clinton greeting someone before the State of the Union address on January 31, 2006 is currently one of the most emailed photos on Yahoo! News. The photo was taken by Jason Reed of Reuters. Now a site called Unconfirmed Sources claims to have "discovered the original electronic versions of the photograph in question, and the conclusion among renowned experts is that indeed the photograph being circulated throughout the press has been doctored, or 'photoshopped'." Compare what they say is the original version to the version circulating by email:
image

I've noticed that a few sites are already reporting Unconfirmed Source's story as fact. But although I've never read Unconfirmed Sources before, it seems kind of obvious to me that it's a humor site, and that the story about Hillary Clinton's photo is satire. (Clues that it's satire include the claim that the article is from the 'Rotters' news agency, and that it was written by 'Dood Abides'.) In other words, the bug-eyed version of Senator Clinton is the real thing. The version in which she looks normal is the fake.
Photos/VideosPolitics
Posted by The Curator on Mon Feb 06, 2006

At first, it seemed obvious which was fake (the bug-eyed one). But, as someone who's done a bit of digital retouching, upon closer inspection of the blowup, the "normalized" version really looks like the blur tool has been used on the wrinkles around the mouth, and the area over her left eye looks too even. It's a lot harder to take an unflattering picture and make it look better than vice-versa. At least, not without making it very obvious.
Posted by UsuallyDark  in  Glendale, CA  on  Tue Feb 07, 2006  at  01:12 AM
You gotta wonder, though, what agenda would make Yahoo use such a terrible picture. They don't like Hillary, that's for sure.
Posted by Citizen Premier  in  spite of public outcry  on  Tue Feb 07, 2006  at  01:19 AM
Ya know, I have a real fine photo editing program. I'm quite familiar with all the techniques in such a program. I always click on an image in MofH to see if there is a better view of the photo available... NOT in this case. I assumed the bug eyed version was the real photo before I even got to where Alex revealed it as such. I'm one of those who can't stand her, and think she's a nasty stank-'ho, and as most people would, let my pre-conceived notions of the witch fit the available images of her.
Posted by Christopher in Joplin, Missouri  in  Joplin, Mo  on  Tue Feb 07, 2006  at  07:29 AM
Another clue that it is satire is the big disclaimer at the bottom of the page that says:
___
Unconfirmed Sources political satire and news story parodies as represented above are written as satire or parody. They are, of course, fictitious.
___

Its also a link to the disclaimer page.
Posted by Daniel  on  Tue Feb 07, 2006  at  05:42 PM
Wow, it's actually an improvment! I hate her so bad! Now they should just get rid of her all together and bam, we will have a better world....

I'll bet she has bad breath
Posted by Name Here  on  Tue Feb 07, 2006  at  07:55 PM
Somehow I managed to fail to notice the disclaimer. Oh well. At least I recognized that it was satire.
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Tue Feb 07, 2006  at  08:09 PM
Clearly the "before" version is the photoshopped one. And... Yahoo hates Hillary? Give me a break!
Posted by James  in  Bryan, Texas  on  Thu Feb 09, 2006  at  10:31 AM
why hasn't she considerd suicide!?
Posted by al  in  pa  on  Thu Dec 21, 2006  at  03:32 PM