Bring Me A Beer

image Here's yet another photo from today's email. This one I refuse to believe is real, although I can't see any evidence that it's fake. I've been to those beer festivals in Germany where the waitresses carry around huge numbers of beer mugs steins in each hand, and I never saw one with six large steins in each hand. At least, I can't remember seeing anything like that (the whole beer-festival experience is a bit blurry in my mind). However, I don't know how such a thing could even theoretically be done. How could you position the steins so that you could grip six handles simultaneously? Unless she's supporting some of them against her body. (click the image to enlarge)

Food Photos

Posted on Wed Feb 02, 2005

Comments

Maybe she has some kind of special cup holder?
Posted by Citizen Premier  in  spite of public outcry  on  Wed Feb 02, 2005  at  04:47 PM
Yes, you can carry 6 mugs per hand. I worked in a resturant where we served beer in large glass mugs. If you get all of the handles grouped together you can easily carry 6 per hand.
Posted by Redmond  on  Wed Feb 02, 2005  at  04:56 PM
That's right. They're beer steins. I was trying to think of the right word when I posted the entry, but it wasn't coming to me.
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Wed Feb 02, 2005  at  05:22 PM
I would love to travel to Europe more. Just one thing stopping me from doing so. Money.
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Wed Feb 02, 2005  at  05:48 PM
Alex, you mean this site hasn't made you a millionaire?
It must take some skill to carry all those mugs- I can imagine they'd be quite heavy, even with all that foam.
Posted by Katey  on  Wed Feb 02, 2005  at  07:28 PM
Yeah picture is real i was in Germay at the beer fest a few years ago and yeah i've seen them carry as many as whats in the picture....
Posted by Matthew  in  Sydney  on  Wed Feb 02, 2005  at  08:28 PM
I can see how that'd work...if you look at the grouping around her right hand, imagine all the handles are in the middle. Her arm is going into that beer "bouquet" between the two mugs in front of her grey jacket.
Posted by Ponygirl  on  Wed Feb 02, 2005  at  09:18 PM
You can tell by the crest on each stien that the handles point inward. Also, there's a space between the first and second outer stien closest to her for the hand to squeeze in.
Posted by Tirlas  in  Colorado  on  Thu Feb 03, 2005  at  01:31 AM
The pic is real - many waitresses at the Oktoberfest in Munich are able to carry that many steins (or mugs or whatever)simultaneously. There are also competitions, and certainly you will find an entry in the Guinness Book of Records.
Posted by Jay Sauerkraut  in  Germany  on  Thu Feb 03, 2005  at  03:48 AM
That's 12kg/26.4lb worth of beer which she's holding out in front of her body; no wonder she has a pained expression on her face. I imagine she can crush ball-bearings with her thumbs.
Posted by Ashely Pomeroy  in  None  on  Thu Feb 03, 2005  at  06:20 AM
The waitress at one of my locals routinely carries 5 or 6 half-litre pots in each hand; after that it's just a question of strength to move up to steins...

I'll show you if you're ever over this way, Alex. And that's a standing invitation!

wink
Posted by paul in prague  on  Thu Feb 03, 2005  at  07:11 AM
I think it is a hoax based on the water (beer) lines. I would think that the left grouping would have beer tilting towards the right and forward (opposite of the picture)...Maybe...It looks good though.
Posted by Darren  in  Tulsa  on  Thu Feb 03, 2005  at  08:39 AM
My mom has a stein like that. We use it to keep pennies in. It is sort of heavy...but if that's what she's been doing all her life...it's probably a sinch.
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Thu Feb 03, 2005  at  09:15 AM
I don't doubt it's real, I just can't see how you could do this. Once you have the first six, how do you pick up the rest? Do you think someone has to help or is it possible to do it yourself? In any case, those beers look good! I wish she'd bring me one! cheese
Posted by Glamcat  on  Thu Feb 03, 2005  at  12:58 PM
Technically, those are not beer steins, because a "stein" ("stone") for beer is made of stoneware (pottery) rather than glass. I seem to recall that in Munich one of those big mugs, or its contents, is called a "mass." One mass = one liter of beer.
An interesting feature of those giant mugs is that they are just about indestructible. At Oktoberfest I saw drunken Bavarians toasting each other by getting a running start and smashing those glasses into each other with all their strength. None of the mugs were even chipped or cracked.
Posted by Big Gary C, pedantic again  in  Dallas, Texas  on  Thu Feb 03, 2005  at  01:56 PM
the way they're positioned, though, the mugs in front would have to be oddly shaped for her to even hold them. But it is possible to hold a lot in one hand.
Posted by Tsiamon Coldfire  in  nowherevill.usa  on  Thu Feb 03, 2005  at  02:34 PM
actually, all those beer mugs (steins are ceramic. I should know- mine has elves) are held together by an assistive device known as The Farphagnugen Bietmiencranken. It was invented by the Prussian proctologist Heinie Skracher in 1881.
Posted by Hairy Houdini  on  Thu Feb 03, 2005  at  02:45 PM
I could pee through an avalanche after drinking those beers! snake
Posted by Ace  on  Thu Feb 03, 2005  at  03:08 PM
Seriously, though, I think this is real; at least, if the handles are large enough for her forearms to go through, she could easily have the outermost four mugs in each six-mug group hanging off her arms, with her fingers gripping the handles of the innermost two, although it probably wouldn't be very comfortable unless she had thick clothes. This is very hard to explain with text, and ASCII art won't work with this font. I wonder if she knows that she's famous? She looks as if she could kick our arses.
Posted by Ashley Pomeroy  in  Me  on  Thu Feb 03, 2005  at  05:18 PM
On her right, it doesn't look like there's room for her hand to be in between the bottles--looks like they are close together like they are sat on a table, not in a circle around her hand.

I haven't seen these steins/masses/whatever, so I don't know about the actual size or weight...it's possible with other mugs.
Posted by James D  on  Thu Feb 03, 2005  at  06:04 PM
I'm willing to believe that it's possible to carry this many but this picture looks fishy.
Posted by Mark  on  Thu Feb 03, 2005  at  06:42 PM
To me, it looks like she's really carrying 5 mugs in each hand, with the two extras placed where her hands grip the grouped grabbers (handles). cheese
Posted by skepticjon  in  usa  on  Thu Feb 03, 2005  at  07:06 PM
I think I see what your saying, Skepticjon- she may be balancing the innermost two mugs against her body, and not holding the handles.
Posted by Katey  on  Thu Feb 03, 2005  at  07:29 PM
I am with Darren on this, it looks like a hoax. I don't doubt the strength of these Fraus, but some of the outer glasses appear to be floating in mid-air.
Incidently, in England we call the pottery type beer glasses "Steins", but if you say that in Germany (at least in the North) they don't know what you mean as they have another word for it, like Big Gary says.
Posted by Pixie  in  Germany  on  Thu Feb 03, 2005  at  08:14 PM
Living seven years in Germany, I've seen MANY of these excellent Bierfraus, serving at fests all across the country. Nearly all of them can carry five mass in each hand - but it takes a REALLY GOOD one to do what she is doing. It isn't just the weight of the bier, Ashely. Those nearly indestructible mugs are WAY heavy! This woman is hefting over forty pounds in her capable, if not delicate, hands. And she's GOOD! Have no problem with the fluid lines, the only problem I would have is with the Trinkmeister who poured them. Hey, everybody like a LITTLE HEAD!!
Posted by stork  in  the spiracles of space  on  Thu Feb 03, 2005  at  08:20 PM
Oh yeah; She's also probably responding to a bet at a table, in exchange for an extra tip. Most of the best of them won't do this but 2-3 times a night. The rest of her shift, she'll carry 4-5 mass in each hand, walking very fast, and delivering about 150 times with NO spillage. These ladies do a spectacular job - and you should see their biceps & triceps! I know I wouldn't want to try arm-wrestling one of them for anything!
Posted by stork  in  the spiracles of space  on  Thu Feb 03, 2005  at  09:10 PM
By the way, the only time I've seen this done she picked them up by firstly having them all sitting on the bar, then sort of threading her fingers through the mug handles. Five on one hand, five on the other. Then she just lifted them all. You could see the strain, though.
Posted by Boo  in  Edinburgh  on  Fri Feb 04, 2005  at  03:26 AM
Hi everyone, I'm from Germany, and this picture sure is real. Six mugs per hand is very good (four to five is normal), but not exceptional. I've been told that the record among Oktoberfest waitresses is 21 mugs (probably using some device to hold the mug handles together).
By the way, here is some Bierfest language for beginners: "Masskrug" is the German word for a one-litre-"stein". "Stein" in German means stone and nothing else - no one will understand you if you use the term for a glass. One "Mass" is the term for the amount of beer you get, one litre, "krug" is the term for any glass, mug or vase with a handle. You would order "eine Mass, bitte" - one litre of beer, please - and get it in a "Masskrug". Prost!
Posted by Sofia  in  Germany  on  Fri Feb 04, 2005  at  04:07 AM
LoL.. indeed they are "A Maas Bier!"

A (correctly called ) Bierstein, is out of ceramic. A Bierkrug is out of glas. Yet, we germany really donot care too much for the "container" where the beer is served in, yet much more we care about the beer itself!

And that pic is real, indeed... and yes, you can lift those Maas up all by yourself and at one time, if you have the "training"! Most ladies at the Wisn (The Munic Oktoberfest, which is in September btw..lol) practice over years, they start out small and get to carry so much after they have build up their muscles for this nicely viewed task.

Und tsch
Posted by Jessy24  in  Germany  on  Fri Feb 04, 2005  at  08:36 AM
""Steins", but if you say that in Germany (at least in the North) they don't know what you mean as they have another word for it...

They don't use them in north Germany-- at least, I never saw one in the north of Germany; beer steins are a southern German thing. North Germans drink a lot of beer, but they drink it from glasses or bottles.
Posted by Big Gary C, pedantic again  in  Dallas, Texas  on  Fri Feb 04, 2005  at  11:56 AM
Comments: Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >