Black Eyed Kids (BEK)
Status: First-person accounts
Reports of BEK phenomena are becoming increasingly widespread on the net.
Stories about these creepy adolescents with entirely black eyes and a threatening manner have been cropping up in first-person reports ever more frequently since 1998, when journalist Brian Bethel first wrote about his experience with BEKs.

These accounts follow a regular pattern:
Most accounts occur at the individual's home. There is a knock on the door and on the other side, waiting patiently, is a kid of roughly 12 to 17 years of age. Their dress is usually common for the time and they seem rather normal. But then the sudden fear and the sense of wrongness sinks in. And then of course, there are the eyes.

Seemingly, they repeatedly ask to be let in, and often mention that they must be invited. None of the reports I have found deal with what happens if someone is persuaded...

So who (or what) are they? Providing you believe the stories, current theories span everything from ghosts and vampires to aliens or pranksters.
Paranormal
Posted by Boo on Sun Aug 06, 2006

YEAH. God, Charybdis
Posted by Ben  in  USA  on  Wed Nov 22, 2006  at  12:05 PM
Posted by Sylivia  in  UK  on  Wed Nov 22, 2006  at  12:09 PM
u cant get proof 4 evryfing
Posted by Sam  in  USA  on  Wed Nov 22, 2006  at  12:10 PM
First of all, the last four comments from Rosie, Ben, Sylvia, and Sam were from the same IP Address. It's probably someone using a friend's computer to back Rosie up, since Rosie seems intelligent and Ben, Sylvia, and Sam seem about 5 years old. I will answer Rosie since she's capable of communicating intelligibly.

Now, there's no proof any of this even happened. It's entirely possible that most of these 'occurrences' are simply people copycatting for the attention. Yes, it happens all the time.

Also, there's nothing odd about seeing a person and feeling creepy. Some people just look odd, dark eyes or not, and some people are nervous of everyone, especially teenagers who are 'obviously up to no good'. My grandmother would likely get a creepy feeling if a teenage kid came up to her door, especially if that teenager wasn't white. It's not a nice thing, but it's the truth.

Basically, there are no facts about these incidents, just people's claims that it happened. Since it's far more likely that these people are either mistaken, exaggerating, or making it all up, why should we give any credence to them? Why believe something completely outside of any past experience when there is a mundane (and boring) explanation that works just as well?
Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Wed Nov 22, 2006  at  12:56 PM
Sylivia said:

"I agree wiv tamara and rosie. but i dont agree wiv cranky media guy, hu is just being silly. paranormal stuff does happen, but its not as drastic as stuff like people flying. there being a species is more believable"

Well, a lot of the things that people claim as their "supernatural abilities" are every bit as absurd as my claiming I can fly.

If there is "another species," there would also be the ability to PROVE that. That's what we skeptics are asking for: PROOF. When you provide some that stands up to scrutiny, then we will be forced to concede your claims. Until then, nope.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Wed Nov 22, 2006  at  07:29 PM
Lounge Lizard said:

"Personally, I have no doubt that there are paranormal happenings. I happen to have a degee in Paraphysics so I have studied my fair share."

At what credentialed center of higher learning does one get a degree in Paraphysics?
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Wed Nov 22, 2006  at  07:31 PM
Cranky, my degree came from Stevens University in Missouri. Unfortunately, the program was only offered for 2 years and then died to to lack of interest. Yes, I watched Ghostbusters one time to many and it was a perfectly good waste of 65k, but it was facinating to study. Comes in handy now and again.
Posted by Neil Chochrek  in  Waterloo, IA - Relocated from El Paso, Tx  on  Wed Nov 22, 2006  at  10:34 PM
Charybdis said
"There's no proof any of this even happened"
Firstly, one thing is that you can't get proof for every single thing. Also, if it is all lies, quite a lot of people are lying. And, whether he was being sarcastic or not, Cranky Media Guy correctly said that these people are sequels to Indigo Crystal children, and Indigo Crystal children DO exist. If Indigo Crystal children exist, it is likely that other species with weird powers could also exist. Though I dont think the black eyed kids are demons. Even if the people are exaggerating, there isn't any smoke without a fire, so it is possible there could be some truth in this. I think the whole thing is worth investigating. Also, I would like to add that there are some people who are so boring they just won't believe in anything weird, no matter how much proof there is.
Posted by Rosie  in  UK  on  Sun Nov 26, 2006  at  02:20 PM
Rosie said:

"And, whether he was being sarcastic or not, Cranky Media Guy correctly said that these people are sequels to Indigo Crystal children, and Indigo Crystal children DO exist."

*I* said that? Hmm, well, if I did, I MUST have been sarcastic.

For the recoerd, I think that "black-eyed kids" are every bit as real as Indigo Children. I hope you correctly get my meaning there.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Sun Nov 26, 2006  at  03:53 PM
Rosie, old adages don't prove a point. There's smoke without fire all the time, in the real world.

I'm not saying every single person is lying. I'm betting most are exaggerations or misunderstandings on the part of the viewers, especially the original 'sightings'. But whenever something like this gets started there are plenty of people who jump on the bandwagon, either because they enjoy screwing with people, or because they enjoy feeling like they're part of something bigger. It's a well known phenomenon and is how otherwise non-exceptional events get blown all out of proportion.

...no matter how much proof there is.

Um, what proof? There isn't any. There isn't even any evidence, just hearsay. And we all know how reliable that is, don't we?
Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Mon Nov 27, 2006  at  10:34 AM
The fact that the story originated from a journalist makes it even less credible.
Posted by Carter S  on  Mon Nov 27, 2006  at  12:09 PM

The same thinking can aptly be applied here.
Posted by MadCarlotta  on  Tue Nov 28, 2006  at  10:29 AM
Anyone seen the video for My Chemical Romance's latest song, I don't Love You? BEK right there. In Sapphire and Steel, (very cool british sci-fi series from the eighties), when Sapphire was possessed by a supernatural being (never knew exactly what it was) her eyes went completely black all over. It was the first time I'd ever seen it done, and it was very creepy,
Posted by Nona  in  London  on  Mon Mar 19, 2007  at  08:39 AM
You know this thing called 'gut feeling'? It comes from little things that you subconciously notice being out of place. Whatever they are, I believe most of scaryiness comes from the fact that you don't notice eyes at first, because part of your brain automatically thinks that they have normal eyes. But your brain really knows that it's not true and your gut feeling alarms you that something is very wrong.
Posted by Stuart  in  Estonia  on  Thu Apr 12, 2007  at  04:57 AM
I have no idea what you're trying to say, Stuart. You "feel" that the kids have black eyes?

Either they do or they don't. Your feelings are subjective and don't change reality.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Thu Apr 12, 2007  at  04:19 PM
I haven't seen one myself thankfully, but from descriptions I understand that people don't realise at once that those kids have all-black eyes.
I found very good explanation about gut feeling:
"Your body is getting a shot of adrenaline because your brain has determined that you're in danger. It isn't paranoia or imagined fear. It's real, and you need to pay attention to it. Deadly attention. Your sub-conscious which operates ten times faster than your conscious mind has picked up on signals of danger that your conscious mind has not yet processed."
So, your concious mind knows that people have normal eyes and won't notice at first that something is out of place, but your sub-concious already realised it and prepares you to fight or run.

I'm sorry if my explanations are hard to understand, English is not my native language.
Posted by Stuart  in  Estonia  on  Thu Apr 12, 2007  at  05:31 PM
Oh well, my last explanation was almost as incoherent as the first one. I left out the sentence that I do believe those kids having black eyes.
Posted by Stuart  in  Estonia  on  Thu Apr 12, 2007  at  05:34 PM
Don't worry, Stuart, your English is FAR better than my Estonian (which is non-existant).

This just doesn't make any sense to me. If there were people walking around with all-black eyes, I can't imagine that there would be any controversy about it. It would be easily proveable.

Imagine for a moment that the discussion is about whether there are people with 12 fingers. How would we NOT know that they existed? We would be able to see it ourselves. Why does that not apply to "black-eyed" children?
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Fri Apr 13, 2007  at  03:22 AM
i don't know what to believe. sure it'd be great if something like this never exsited, but this world is a crazy messed up place and there is alot we don't know or not aware of, so show me and i'll believe. untill then i will remain scared out of my mind about random kids walking up to me, just incase.
Posted by Terry  in  St Louis, Mo USA  on  Thu Apr 19, 2007  at  12:31 AM
Terry said:

"...untill then i will remain scared out of my mind about random kids walking up to me, just incase."

There are a lot of things that might deserve our fear, but black-eyed kids are not among them.

Honestly, don't you think that if black-eyed kids really existed, they would be featured on medical shows on TV? Wouldn't you have heard of them outside of the woo-woo world?

Even if people with black eyes DID exist, it would be merely a genetic anomaly; it wouldn't connote anything "evil."
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Thu Apr 19, 2007  at  02:55 AM
I am so very sad to see sooo many ignorant and small minded comments on here.

Why cant people be at least open to the fact that maybe something "supernatural" exists? I mean people dont seem to be worried about believing in god and the bible. This is the same. There is about as much evidence about these kids as there is evidence that the bible is real.

Ive never had an encounter with these black eyed people but at least im open to the posibility of them being real. Just like im open to the possibility that god might be real.
Posted by Sabrina  in  Canada  on  Sun May 13, 2007  at  10:14 PM
Sometimes it is very difficult to be a skeptic because you have to fight the same battles for logic over and over and over again.

"I am so very sad to see sooo many ignorant and small minded comments on here."

Which "ignorant and small-minded" comments are you referring to?

"Why cant people be at least open to the fact that maybe something 'supernatural' exists?"

I say there are flying monkeys on the dark side of the moon. If you don't require PROOF of anything, then you HAVE to believe in them too.

"I mean people dont seem to be worried about believing in god and the bible. This is the same. There is about as much evidence about these kids as there is evidence that the bible is real."

Uh, who says that all people aren't worried about believing in God and the Bible? Your comment that there is as much evidence for the existance of "black eyed children" as there is that the Bible is real is correct, although not in the way I suspect you meant.

"Lets face it folks we are merely humans in a large universe and guess what we dont know everything."

No rational person disputes that comment. That, however, in no way proves that any given thing that someone pulls out of their ass, like "black eyed children," is necessarily real. You CAN understand that, can't you?

Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Mon May 14, 2007  at  04:34 AM
I don't know about all this, I'm a rather skeptical individual. I'd tend to think that someone is pulling a prank on me if one of those kids came to my door.
Posted by generic lipitor  on  Thu May 17, 2007  at  06:45 PM
OK, to the people worried about the "scary-scary" feeling people get before they notice the eyes:

Scenario-
A person is at the door with some malevolent intent (probably a kid wanting to scare you, maybe steal something, etc). They exhibit small hints through subconscious body language (posture, voice, etc, see given article as I don't like to make claims unbacked). YOUR subconscious, through thousands of years of evolution (or not) is able to pick up these cues (very useful evolutionarily to be able to detect when a person plans something bad for you). Your subconscious alerts you, you become afraid, you avoid the situation. Simple.

Also, in the above situation, the kid could be scared themselves (perhaps part of a double-dog-dare?). Either way, your subconscious should pick it up, it's also useful to know if other people are afraid, they might know something you don't.

As an aside, the black eyes could easily be caused by a person exiting a well-lit indoor area and opening the door. It's darker outside (since it's dusk), and your eyes haven't adjusted yet. You do the math.

This article shows that people who are unable to see due to brain problems (not eyes) are STILL able to judge emotions from body language. This suggests a very deep form of processing that almost surely precedes conscious thought.
full pdf:

Sorry about the super-scientific content, it's what I do wink
Posted by Giacomo  in  Houston, TX  on  Thu May 24, 2007  at  03:21 AM
"In general, what skeptics are saying is, if the supernatural exists, just PROVE it, scientifically. Then we'll HAVE to believe it, won't we? If you plan on replying by saying that science doesn't know everything, don't bother. No one claims that science knows everything. They just say that scientific method is a good way to determine whether something is legitimate or not. If you don't believe in science, then please explain to me how you decide what to believe in and what to reject. Or do you just believe in anything that anyone says?"

When something hasn't been proven and hasn't been disproved I find people that assume it is true or false are equally deluding themselves.

Obviously if there is no reasonable reason to believe in the POSSIBILITY of the thing existing such as a space spaghetti monster, then that's another thing altogether.
Posted by Dave  in  Tasmania, Australia  on  Wed Jun 13, 2007  at  09:42 AM
"The existance of black-eyed kids, unlike the existance of God, could easily be established. Just show us some. Why is that unresonable to ask for?"

Posted by Dave  in  Tasmania, Australia  on  Wed Jun 13, 2007  at  09:44 AM
Dave said:

"How do you come to the conclusion that something could "easily" be established if real, when you know nothing about that thing or it's/their properties?"

Uh, black eyes? Isn't that the DEFINING characteristic?

Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Wed Jun 13, 2007  at  05:30 PM
Dave also said:

"I would suggest some of us have a third state between believing and not believing. Sort of a 'decision pending' state."

Well, that's what a true skeptic does, actually. Ideally, one keeps an open mind about things which have SOME possibility of existing, but one also asks for proof.

Like you said, some things simply do NOT deserve suspension of disbelief. For the rest, it is NOT unreasonable to ask for evidence.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Wed Jun 13, 2007  at  05:34 PM
"Uh, black eyes? Isn't that the DEFINING characteristic?

Is it unreasonable to ask to see some black-eyed children if you claim they exist?"

What I mean is, they might not be "easy" to produce. Considering we don't know anything about what they are (if they are real), apart from the colour of their eyes etc. A person might not be able to just come along and grab one.

But that doesn't nessesarily mean they don't exist.

A lack of proof of existence, isn't necessarily proof of a lack of existence.

It's reasonable to ask for proof. Yes. But if I had seen such a creature and didn't have any proof I'd probably still tell people regardless.
Posted by Dave  in  Tasmania, Australia  on  Fri Jun 22, 2007  at  03:08 PM
Dave said:

"A lack of proof of existence, isn't necessarily proof of a lack of existence."

Correct, however lack of proof is certainly an excellent reason to doubt the existance of something.

No one who deals with these alleged black-eyed kids owns a camera?
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Fri Jun 22, 2007  at  05:09 PM
Comments: Page 2 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3 >