Black Eyed Kids (BEK)
Status: First-person accounts
Reports of BEK phenomena are becoming increasingly widespread on the net.
Stories about these creepy adolescents with entirely black eyes and a threatening manner have been cropping up in first-person reports ever more frequently since 1998, when journalist Brian Bethel first wrote about his experience with BEKs.

These accounts follow a regular pattern:
Most accounts occur at the individual's home. There is a knock on the door and on the other side, waiting patiently, is a kid of roughly 12 to 17 years of age. Their dress is usually common for the time and they seem rather normal. But then the sudden fear and the sense of wrongness sinks in. And then of course, there are the eyes.

Seemingly, they repeatedly ask to be let in, and often mention that they must be invited. None of the reports I have found deal with what happens if someone is persuaded...

So who (or what) are they? Providing you believe the stories, current theories span everything from ghosts and vampires to aliens or pranksters.
Paranormal
Posted by Boo on Sun Aug 06, 2006

The first story is from a....journalist. Moreover, one involved with ghost stories...

[sarcasm] Okay: very reliable [/sarcasm]
Posted by LaMa  in  Europe  on  Sun Aug 06, 2006  at  04:50 PM
Teenagers wearing sunglasses?
Posted by Big Gary  in  Plainview, Texas  on  Sun Aug 06, 2006  at  05:05 PM
Reminds me of Men in Black for some reason.
Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Sun Aug 06, 2006  at  05:05 PM
What is unbelievable to me, is that he would have noted the black eyes so late. I feel like that would be one of the first things you note.
Posted by LaMa  in  Europe  on  Sun Aug 06, 2006  at  05:23 PM
...I think he was saying that he didn't notice the eyes before b/c the kid had some sort of "control" over him - compelling him to open the door. When he realized his hand was on the lock & he looked away...this "spell" was broken, and he was able to "see" the kids eyes for the first time.
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Sun Aug 06, 2006  at  06:33 PM
Oh, just blame it on misperceptions of Goths, and move on. I like the sad people, and they don't demand to come in. But really straight people get scared when they ask for help, (usually for a little change for a pop).
Posted by stork  in  the spiracles of space  on  Sun Aug 06, 2006  at  06:48 PM
Sounds like vampires meets MiB meets fear of Girl Scouts.
Posted by Somebody  in  Somewhere  on  Sun Aug 06, 2006  at  08:24 PM
No, it's true. I've even seen video evidence of one -- he used to play guitar for Limp Bizkit.
Posted by Karlos the Jackal  in  the City of Subdued Excitement  on  Sun Aug 06, 2006  at  08:55 PM
Sounds like 2-D from the band Gorillaz
Posted by Eric  on  Sun Aug 06, 2006  at  09:19 PM
Funny. I just watched Mirrormask last night, and the kid gets the "BEK" thing when she turns evil. I love coincidences like this.
Posted by Laura G  on  Sun Aug 06, 2006  at  09:29 PM
If you let them in the car they'll probably ask you to drive them somewhere, but then disappear before you get there. Out of curiosity, you'll continue on to the destination, which will be a house where an old woman lives. The woman will nod knowingly as you tell her the story, as if she's heard it before. Then she'll show you a picture of the black-eyed kid who rode with you. "Yes," she'll say. "That was my son/daughter. They died 20 years ago in a car accident while on their way home."
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Sun Aug 06, 2006  at  11:07 PM
Run, I say...Run!!
Posted by stork  in  the spiracles of space  on  Sun Aug 06, 2006  at  11:20 PM
Well, as far as possible real reasons for kids to have abnormal black eyes, there are tinted contact lenses, or else some drugs. If the former, it would be a prank and the kids are trying to be spooky on purpose. If the latter, the kids would probably be acting rather strangely and that could make them seem creepy.

Or, of course, it could all be nonsense.
Posted by Accipiter  on  Mon Aug 07, 2006  at  02:28 AM
I can't believe that you skeptics don't see the obvious when it's staring you right in the face. These black-eyed kids are the living sequels to the Indigo Children; they're Ebony Children. Sheesh.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Mon Aug 07, 2006  at  04:52 AM
One thing I'd like to know (having Googled BEK's and read a few other peoples' experiences) is why no-one ever mentions that they encountered the BEK kids outside before they ran inside for protection?

Wouldn't it seem logical that if these *were* supernatural creatures with evil intent, that they'd attack you when you're outside rather than politely ask to come in?

Or are we simply seeing some form of extreme fear of Jehovah's Witnesses in action here...?
Posted by Goofster  in  New Zealand  on  Mon Aug 07, 2006  at  07:41 AM
If the Jehovah's Witnesses went door to door in black contact lenses and acted all creepy (well, creepiER than they already are, a "different" sort of creepy, I suppose) I'd probably join them.
Posted by MadCarlotta  on  Mon Aug 07, 2006  at  09:55 AM
Reminds me of the Midwich Cucoos. Creepy kids with odd eyes and mind control while eye contact is maintained? Very familiar.
Posted by Cthelmax  in  england  on  Mon Aug 07, 2006  at  12:03 PM
Sounds like black-out contact lenses to me. I've been considering getting some myself.
Posted by Tru  in  Other Words  on  Mon Aug 07, 2006  at  01:13 PM
I still have a set of solid black contacts that I bought several years ago for a halloween costume. I've worn them to work once or twice to mess with my boss. They are easilly available from any place that sells contacts and cost about $20-$40 for the non-prescription variety.
Posted by Lounge Lizard  in  El Paso, Tx  on  Mon Aug 07, 2006  at  02:05 PM
"even seen video evidence of one -- he used to play guitar for Limp Bizkit."

LOL! that's who i was thinking of while reading the articles.

Sounds like a couple kids having fun scaring ppl. ...But then again if it's something else, that's pretty damn creepy
Posted by Grain  in  Bay Area, CA  on  Mon Aug 07, 2006  at  04:35 PM

This link shows all-black contact lenses. Very expensive though!
Posted by Lucy  on  Tue Aug 08, 2006  at  08:00 AM
I found an account of somebody who claims to have encountered BEK and let them inside the house:
Posted by Snowowl  in  Netherlands  on  Wed Aug 09, 2006  at  11:29 AM
I want some of those contats, then my friends and I could go scaring people. XD
Posted by blacklight  on  Mon Aug 14, 2006  at  01:16 PM
To play devils(forgive the joke) advocate let me make an observation. In most accounts involving pretenatural beings(fyi Supernatural specificly indicates some thing originating from God or angels, pretenatural specificly means some thing malevolent particularly from Satan or his demons using supernatural as a catch all is a common error of terminology) reuire some form of permission to take action in a persons life. Demonic hauntings are often for example(in accounts) preceded by three knocks on the door to a house and when the doors opened theres no one present. As well as of course the bit about vampires not entering unless they are invited. If these things were really pretenatural(and I'm not saying they are theres frankly not enough information) it would fit the claim.
Posted by Kevin  in  Doylestown PA  on  Wed Aug 23, 2006  at  04:13 AM
Does anyone remember the timing of the black eye motif showing up in TV shows such as the X-Files and Buffy the Vampire Slayer?

The X-Files movie was released in 1998-06-19 which contained a black eye stuff. I wonder when the original journalist's message was posted on Usenet.
Posted by beowulf  on  Sat Sep 09, 2006  at  12:26 PM
Oh for goodness sake! I wish you skeptics would take off the rose tinted spectacles and try LIVING life for a change, and then maybe you'll see that some paranormal things actually DO exist, and aren't just a load of nonsense.
Posted by Tamara Rose  in  UK  on  Mon Nov 20, 2006  at  11:46 AM
See, there's this little thing called 'proof' that you proponents of nonsense seem to be lacking. It's really quite simple, prove something and then we'll believe it. But don't expect us to believe just because you insist it's true. You're not a credible source of information.
Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Mon Nov 20, 2006  at  11:57 AM
Tamara Rose said:

"I wish you skeptics would take off the rose tinted spectacles and try LIVING life for a change, and then maybe you'll see that some paranormal things actually DO exist, and aren't just a load of nonsense."

Boy, that's SO true, Tamara. For example, time after time on this board, I have explained that I can fly under my own power. No external support or power source of any kind, I just jump up and fly like a bird.

You should see the responses I get. The skeptics keep saying that it isn't possible for me to fly, even though I say I can. They want "proof," they insist on "evidence." Sheesh. Isn't my word good enough? They have this annoying way of claiming that what I do violates the known laws of physics and saying that therefore I should PROVE my claim (which, of course) I refuse to).

YOU believe me, don't you? My word is good enough for YOU, right?
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Mon Nov 20, 2006  at  04:17 PM
Personally, I have no doubt that there are paranormal happenings. I happen to have a degee in Paraphysics so I have studied my fair share. However, even I have am skeptical when it comes to dubious claims from questionable sources. Most (and take note that I said "MOST") paranormal events are natural phenomena that someone with an over-active imagination got a hold of or cases of mass delusion cause by religous conditioning. In the case of BEK, I think that it is kids messing around with the fake contacts. I have a set of red ones that I will wear to work every so often to startle my co-workers. I do this for pure entertainment and there is nothing paranormal about it. (Although one woman did acually accuse me of being possessed and was baffled once when the soaked me with holy water and I didn't burst into flame.)
Posted by Lounge Lizard  in  Waterloo, IA - Relocated from El Paso, Tx  on  Tue Nov 21, 2006  at  09:21 AM
OK, so these children could be using contact lenses or taking drugs. But that doesn't explain the weird creepy feeling people get when encountering the BEK, especially BEFORE THEY EVEN NOTICE the kid's eyes. Also, if these kids were trying to scare people, it's not like they're going to be trying to hide their eyes. Plus quite a few of these kids are like 10, and all from different area's, and it's unlikely that that amount of people would dream up such a good idea for a prank. All the 10 year olds i know would probably chuck eggs at a house or smash windows if they wanted to scare someone, not take take drugs or fork out for contacts lenses. And I know loads of 10 year olds. So there.
Posted by Rosie  in  UK  on  Wed Nov 22, 2006  at  11:59 AM
Comments: Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >