Mental Floss has an interesting, brief article on "6 Absurd Alcohol Myths People Believed During Prohibition"
. The myths were:
- Alcohol turns blood into water
- Merely smelling alcohol could deform unborn children
- Some bootleg wines were made with cockroaches
- Most beer drinkers die of dropsy
- Alcohol can give you a 25-pound liver
- Drunkards' brains can be used as torches
The cockroach wine myth reminds me of the Army Worm Wine
that I posted about back in 2005, except that Army Worm Wine was apparently real.