John Camm, writing for the BBC, has compiled a long list of ways in which life as it's portrayed in advertisements differs from real life
. For instance, in advertisements:
- Men are obsessed with sex but will forego sex in order to watch football or drink beer.
- Any act of male stupidity (e.g. walking across a clean floor in muddy boots, putting the dog in the dishwasher, etc.) will be met with a wry smile, not genuine annoyance/anger.
- If you work for the emergency services, you are a better person than the general population.
- Elderly relatives NEVER suffer from senile dementia.
- Scandinavians are, without exception, blonde and beautiful.
- Women have jobs they never do in real life, e.g. dockworker (who looks like a model).
- Men are inherently lazy/slobbish; women are the reverse.
- Chocolate, however, will cause women to immediately fall into the languor of the opium eater.
Commenting is no longer available in this channel entry.