Black Eyed Kids (BEK)

Status: First-person accounts
Reports of BEK phenomena are becoming increasingly widespread on the net.
Stories about these creepy adolescents with entirely black eyes and a threatening manner have been cropping up in first-person reports ever more frequently since 1998, when journalist Brian Bethel first wrote about his experience with BEKs.

These accounts follow a regular pattern:
Most accounts occur at the individual's home. There is a knock on the door and on the other side, waiting patiently, is a kid of roughly 12 to 17 years of age. Their dress is usually common for the time and they seem rather normal. But then the sudden fear and the sense of wrongness sinks in. And then of course, there are the eyes.

Seemingly, they repeatedly ask to be let in, and often mention that they must be invited. None of the reports I have found deal with what happens if someone is persuaded...

So who (or what) are they? Providing you believe the stories, current theories span everything from ghosts and vampires to aliens or pranksters.

Paranormal

Posted on Sun Aug 06, 2006

Comments

The first story is from a....journalist. Moreover, one involved with ghost stories...

[sarcasm] Okay: very reliable [/sarcasm]
Posted by LaMa  in  Europe  on  Sun Aug 06, 2006  at  02:50 PM
Teenagers wearing sunglasses?
Posted by Big Gary  on  Sun Aug 06, 2006  at  03:05 PM
Reminds me of Men in Black for some reason.
Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Sun Aug 06, 2006  at  03:05 PM
What is unbelievable to me, is that he would have noted the black eyes so late. I feel like that would be one of the first things you note.
Posted by LaMa  in  Europe  on  Sun Aug 06, 2006  at  03:23 PM
...I think he was saying that he didn't notice the eyes before b/c the kid had some sort of "control" over him - compelling him to open the door. When he realized his hand was on the lock & he looked away...this "spell" was broken, and he was able to "see" the kids eyes for the first time.
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Sun Aug 06, 2006  at  04:33 PM
Oh, just blame it on misperceptions of Goths, and move on. I like the sad people, and they don't demand to come in. But really straight people get scared when they ask for help, (usually for a little change for a pop).
Posted by stork  in  the spiracles of space  on  Sun Aug 06, 2006  at  04:48 PM
Sounds like vampires meets MiB meets fear of Girl Scouts.
Posted by Somebody  on  Sun Aug 06, 2006  at  06:24 PM
No, it's true. I've even seen video evidence of one -- he used to play guitar for Limp Bizkit.
Posted by Karlos the Jackal  on  Sun Aug 06, 2006  at  06:55 PM
Sounds like 2-D from the band Gorillaz
Posted by Eric  on  Sun Aug 06, 2006  at  07:19 PM
Funny. I just watched Mirrormask last night, and the kid gets the "BEK" thing when she turns evil. I love coincidences like this.
Posted by Laura G  on  Sun Aug 06, 2006  at  07:29 PM
If you let them in the car they'll probably ask you to drive them somewhere, but then disappear before you get there. Out of curiosity, you'll continue on to the destination, which will be a house where an old woman lives. The woman will nod knowingly as you tell her the story, as if she's heard it before. Then she'll show you a picture of the black-eyed kid who rode with you. "Yes," she'll say. "That was my son/daughter. They died 20 years ago in a car accident while on their way home."
Posted by The Curator  in  San Diego  on  Sun Aug 06, 2006  at  09:07 PM
Run, I say...Run!!
Posted by stork  in  the spiracles of space  on  Sun Aug 06, 2006  at  09:20 PM
Well, as far as possible real reasons for kids to have abnormal black eyes, there are tinted contact lenses, or else some drugs. If the former, it would be a prank and the kids are trying to be spooky on purpose. If the latter, the kids would probably be acting rather strangely and that could make them seem creepy.

Or, of course, it could all be nonsense.
Posted by Accipiter  on  Mon Aug 07, 2006  at  12:28 AM
I can't believe that you skeptics don't see the obvious when it's staring you right in the face. These black-eyed kids are the living sequels to the Indigo Children; they're Ebony Children. Sheesh.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Mon Aug 07, 2006  at  02:52 AM
One thing I'd like to know (having Googled BEK's and read a few other peoples' experiences) is why no-one ever mentions that they encountered the BEK kids outside before they ran inside for protection?

Wouldn't it seem logical that if these *were* supernatural creatures with evil intent, that they'd attack you when you're outside rather than politely ask to come in?

Or are we simply seeing some form of extreme fear of Jehovah's Witnesses in action here...?
Posted by Goofster  on  Mon Aug 07, 2006  at  05:41 AM
If the Jehovah's Witnesses went door to door in black contact lenses and acted all creepy (well, creepiER than they already are, a "different" sort of creepy, I suppose) I'd probably join them.
Posted by MadCarlotta  on  Mon Aug 07, 2006  at  07:55 AM
Reminds me of the Midwich Cucoos. Creepy kids with odd eyes and mind control while eye contact is maintained? Very familiar.
Posted by Cthelmax  on  Mon Aug 07, 2006  at  10:03 AM
Sounds like black-out contact lenses to me. I've been considering getting some myself.
Posted by Tru  in  Other Words  on  Mon Aug 07, 2006  at  11:13 AM
I still have a set of solid black contacts that I bought several years ago for a halloween costume. I've worn them to work once or twice to mess with my boss. They are easilly available from any place that sells contacts and cost about $20-$40 for the non-prescription variety.
Posted by Lounge Lizard  on  Mon Aug 07, 2006  at  12:05 PM
"even seen video evidence of one -- he used to play guitar for Limp Bizkit."

LOL! that's who i was thinking of while reading the articles.

Sounds like a couple kids having fun scaring ppl. ...But then again if it's something else, that's pretty damn creepy
Posted by Grain  in  Bay Area, CA  on  Mon Aug 07, 2006  at  02:35 PM

This link shows all-black contact lenses. Very expensive though!
Posted by Lucy  on  Tue Aug 08, 2006  at  06:00 AM
I found an account of somebody who claims to have encountered BEK and let them inside the house:
Posted by Snowowl  on  Wed Aug 09, 2006  at  09:29 AM
I want some of those contats, then my friends and I could go scaring people. XD
Posted by blacklight  on  Mon Aug 14, 2006  at  11:16 AM
To play devils(forgive the joke) advocate let me make an observation. In most accounts involving pretenatural beings(fyi Supernatural specificly indicates some thing originating from God or angels, pretenatural specificly means some thing malevolent particularly from Satan or his demons using supernatural as a catch all is a common error of terminology) reuire some form of permission to take action in a persons life. Demonic hauntings are often for example(in accounts) preceded by three knocks on the door to a house and when the doors opened theres no one present. As well as of course the bit about vampires not entering unless they are invited. If these things were really pretenatural(and I'm not saying they are theres frankly not enough information) it would fit the claim.
Posted by Kevin  on  Wed Aug 23, 2006  at  02:13 AM
Does anyone remember the timing of the black eye motif showing up in TV shows such as the X-Files and Buffy the Vampire Slayer?

The X-Files movie was released in 1998-06-19 which contained a black eye stuff. I wonder when the original journalist's message was posted on Usenet.
Posted by beowulf  on  Sat Sep 09, 2006  at  10:26 AM
Oh for goodness sake! I wish you skeptics would take off the rose tinted spectacles and try LIVING life for a change, and then maybe you'll see that some paranormal things actually DO exist, and aren't just a load of nonsense.
Posted by Tamara Rose  on  Mon Nov 20, 2006  at  09:46 AM
See, there's this little thing called 'proof' that you proponents of nonsense seem to be lacking. It's really quite simple, prove something and then we'll believe it. But don't expect us to believe just because you insist it's true. You're not a credible source of information.
Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Mon Nov 20, 2006  at  09:57 AM
Tamara Rose said:

"I wish you skeptics would take off the rose tinted spectacles and try LIVING life for a change, and then maybe you'll see that some paranormal things actually DO exist, and aren't just a load of nonsense."

Boy, that's SO true, Tamara. For example, time after time on this board, I have explained that I can fly under my own power. No external support or power source of any kind, I just jump up and fly like a bird.

You should see the responses I get. The skeptics keep saying that it isn't possible for me to fly, even though I say I can. They want "proof," they insist on "evidence." Sheesh. Isn't my word good enough? They have this annoying way of claiming that what I do violates the known laws of physics and saying that therefore I should PROVE my claim (which, of course) I refuse to).

YOU believe me, don't you? My word is good enough for YOU, right?
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Mon Nov 20, 2006  at  02:17 PM
Personally, I have no doubt that there are paranormal happenings. I happen to have a degee in Paraphysics so I have studied my fair share. However, even I have am skeptical when it comes to dubious claims from questionable sources. Most (and take note that I said "MOST") paranormal events are natural phenomena that someone with an over-active imagination got a hold of or cases of mass delusion cause by religous conditioning. In the case of BEK, I think that it is kids messing around with the fake contacts. I have a set of red ones that I will wear to work every so often to startle my co-workers. I do this for pure entertainment and there is nothing paranormal about it. (Although one woman did acually accuse me of being possessed and was baffled once when the soaked me with holy water and I didn't burst into flame.)
Posted by Lounge Lizard  on  Tue Nov 21, 2006  at  07:21 AM
OK, so these children could be using contact lenses or taking drugs. But that doesn't explain the weird creepy feeling people get when encountering the BEK, especially BEFORE THEY EVEN NOTICE the kid's eyes. Also, if these kids were trying to scare people, it's not like they're going to be trying to hide their eyes. Plus quite a few of these kids are like 10, and all from different area's, and it's unlikely that that amount of people would dream up such a good idea for a prank. All the 10 year olds i know would probably chuck eggs at a house or smash windows if they wanted to scare someone, not take take drugs or fork out for contacts lenses. And I know loads of 10 year olds. So there.
Posted by Rosie  on  Wed Nov 22, 2006  at  09:59 AM
YEAH. God, Charybdis
Posted by Ben  on  Wed Nov 22, 2006  at  10:05 AM
Posted by Sylivia  on  Wed Nov 22, 2006  at  10:09 AM
u cant get proof 4 evryfing
Posted by Sam  on  Wed Nov 22, 2006  at  10:10 AM
First of all, the last four comments from Rosie, Ben, Sylvia, and Sam were from the same IP Address. It's probably someone using a friend's computer to back Rosie up, since Rosie seems intelligent and Ben, Sylvia, and Sam seem about 5 years old. I will answer Rosie since she's capable of communicating intelligibly.

Now, there's no proof any of this even happened. It's entirely possible that most of these 'occurrences' are simply people copycatting for the attention. Yes, it happens all the time.

Also, there's nothing odd about seeing a person and feeling creepy. Some people just look odd, dark eyes or not, and some people are nervous of everyone, especially teenagers who are 'obviously up to no good'. My grandmother would likely get a creepy feeling if a teenage kid came up to her door, especially if that teenager wasn't white. It's not a nice thing, but it's the truth.

Basically, there are no facts about these incidents, just people's claims that it happened. Since it's far more likely that these people are either mistaken, exaggerating, or making it all up, why should we give any credence to them? Why believe something completely outside of any past experience when there is a mundane (and boring) explanation that works just as well?
Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Wed Nov 22, 2006  at  10:56 AM
Sylivia said:

"I agree wiv tamara and rosie. but i dont agree wiv cranky media guy, hu is just being silly. paranormal stuff does happen, but its not as drastic as stuff like people flying. there being a species is more believable"

Well, a lot of the things that people claim as their "supernatural abilities" are every bit as absurd as my claiming I can fly.

If there is "another species," there would also be the ability to PROVE that. That's what we skeptics are asking for: PROOF. When you provide some that stands up to scrutiny, then we will be forced to concede your claims. Until then, nope.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Wed Nov 22, 2006  at  05:29 PM
Lounge Lizard said:

"Personally, I have no doubt that there are paranormal happenings. I happen to have a degee in Paraphysics so I have studied my fair share."

At what credentialed center of higher learning does one get a degree in Paraphysics?
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Wed Nov 22, 2006  at  05:31 PM
Cranky, my degree came from Stevens University in Missouri. Unfortunately, the program was only offered for 2 years and then died to to lack of interest. Yes, I watched Ghostbusters one time to many and it was a perfectly good waste of 65k, but it was facinating to study. Comes in handy now and again.
Posted by Neil Chochrek  on  Wed Nov 22, 2006  at  08:34 PM
Charybdis said
"There's no proof any of this even happened"
Firstly, one thing is that you can't get proof for every single thing. Also, if it is all lies, quite a lot of people are lying. And, whether he was being sarcastic or not, Cranky Media Guy correctly said that these people are sequels to Indigo Crystal children, and Indigo Crystal children DO exist. If Indigo Crystal children exist, it is likely that other species with weird powers could also exist. Though I dont think the black eyed kids are demons. Even if the people are exaggerating, there isn't any smoke without a fire, so it is possible there could be some truth in this. I think the whole thing is worth investigating. Also, I would like to add that there are some people who are so boring they just won't believe in anything weird, no matter how much proof there is.
Posted by Rosie  on  Sun Nov 26, 2006  at  12:20 PM
Rosie said:

"And, whether he was being sarcastic or not, Cranky Media Guy correctly said that these people are sequels to Indigo Crystal children, and Indigo Crystal children DO exist."

*I* said that? Hmm, well, if I did, I MUST have been sarcastic.

For the recoerd, I think that "black-eyed kids" are every bit as real as Indigo Children. I hope you correctly get my meaning there.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Sun Nov 26, 2006  at  01:53 PM
Rosie, old adages don't prove a point. There's smoke without fire all the time, in the real world.

I'm not saying every single person is lying. I'm betting most are exaggerations or misunderstandings on the part of the viewers, especially the original 'sightings'. But whenever something like this gets started there are plenty of people who jump on the bandwagon, either because they enjoy screwing with people, or because they enjoy feeling like they're part of something bigger. It's a well known phenomenon and is how otherwise non-exceptional events get blown all out of proportion.

...no matter how much proof there is.

Um, what proof? There isn't any. There isn't even any evidence, just hearsay. And we all know how reliable that is, don't we?
Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Mon Nov 27, 2006  at  08:34 AM
The fact that the story originated from a journalist makes it even less credible.
Posted by Carter S  on  Mon Nov 27, 2006  at  10:09 AM

The same thinking can aptly be applied here.
Posted by MadCarlotta  on  Tue Nov 28, 2006  at  08:29 AM
Anyone seen the video for My Chemical Romance's latest song, I don't Love You? BEK right there. In Sapphire and Steel, (very cool british sci-fi series from the eighties), when Sapphire was possessed by a supernatural being (never knew exactly what it was) her eyes went completely black all over. It was the first time I'd ever seen it done, and it was very creepy,
Posted by Nona  on  Mon Mar 19, 2007  at  06:39 AM
You know this thing called 'gut feeling'? It comes from little things that you subconciously notice being out of place. Whatever they are, I believe most of scaryiness comes from the fact that you don't notice eyes at first, because part of your brain automatically thinks that they have normal eyes. But your brain really knows that it's not true and your gut feeling alarms you that something is very wrong.
Posted by Stuart  on  Thu Apr 12, 2007  at  02:57 AM
I have no idea what you're trying to say, Stuart. You "feel" that the kids have black eyes?

Either they do or they don't. Your feelings are subjective and don't change reality.
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Thu Apr 12, 2007  at  02:19 PM
I haven't seen one myself thankfully, but from descriptions I understand that people don't realise at once that those kids have all-black eyes.
I found very good explanation about gut feeling:
"Your body is getting a shot of adrenaline because your brain has determined that you're in danger. It isn't paranoia or imagined fear. It's real, and you need to pay attention to it. Deadly attention. Your sub-conscious which operates ten times faster than your conscious mind has picked up on signals of danger that your conscious mind has not yet processed."
So, your concious mind knows that people have normal eyes and won't notice at first that something is out of place, but your sub-concious already realised it and prepares you to fight or run.

I'm sorry if my explanations are hard to understand, English is not my native language.
Posted by Stuart  on  Thu Apr 12, 2007  at  03:31 PM
Oh well, my last explanation was almost as incoherent as the first one. I left out the sentence that I do believe those kids having black eyes.
Posted by Stuart  on  Thu Apr 12, 2007  at  03:34 PM
Don't worry, Stuart, your English is FAR better than my Estonian (which is non-existant).

This just doesn't make any sense to me. If there were people walking around with all-black eyes, I can't imagine that there would be any controversy about it. It would be easily proveable.

Imagine for a moment that the discussion is about whether there are people with 12 fingers. How would we NOT know that they existed? We would be able to see it ourselves. Why does that not apply to "black-eyed" children?
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Fri Apr 13, 2007  at  01:22 AM
i don't know what to believe. sure it'd be great if something like this never exsited, but this world is a crazy messed up place and there is alot we don't know or not aware of, so show me and i'll believe. untill then i will remain scared out of my mind about random kids walking up to me, just incase.
Posted by Terry  on  Wed Apr 18, 2007  at  10:31 PM
Terry said:

"...untill then i will remain scared out of my mind about random kids walking up to me, just incase."

There are a lot of things that might deserve our fear, but black-eyed kids are not among them.

Honestly, don't you think that if black-eyed kids really existed, they would be featured on medical shows on TV? Wouldn't you have heard of them outside of the woo-woo world?

Even if people with black eyes DID exist, it would be merely a genetic anomaly; it wouldn't connote anything "evil."
Posted by Cranky Media Guy  on  Thu Apr 19, 2007  at  12:55 AM
Comments: Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.