Morgellons Disease: Is It Real?
image Sufferers of Morgellons disease complain of invisible parasites biting their skin. And they get skin lesions from which sprout strange fibers. And mysterious black spore-like specks appear on their skin. Cases of this strange disease seem to be spreading, especially in the Bay area. One theory is that it has something to do with Lyme disease. Or it may be a case of mass delusion. The medical community seems to think it's mass delusion. Most people who show up complaining of these symptoms get diagnosed with 'delusional parasitosis', which is a psychological problem in which people imagine that they're infested by parasites. Not having any medical qualifications at all, I won't weigh in on whether this is a real disease or mass delusion, but some of the behavior of the patients does sound suspiciously bizarre. Take the case of Theresa Blodgett:

She gathers up the black specks, the mysterious fibers and the small, fuzzy 'cocoons' she finds on her skin and around her home. She tapes the macabre samples to typing paper, but she said no doctor will analyze the collection. Physicians who glance at the specimens dismiss the lot as stray hairs, clothing fibers, scabs and other common household debris, she said.

So either she really is suffering from something and is desperately but unsuccessfully trying to get doctors to pay attention to her, or she's obsessively collecting house dust and stray flecks of dirt and convincing herself that these things are parasites attacking her. (Thanks to 'K' for the links)
Health/MedicinePsychology
Posted by The Curator on Fri Feb 11, 2005
hey guys

beware of some postings in here. this paul guy... http://www.be-healthy-forever.com Well.. this guy is a nut and has caused a lot of problems for safe to use. He is not the owner of safe to use, but is in all the message boards so that people buy his stupid book. He is not a catholic or religious person. He is a scam artist!!! Beware.

He is in and out of lymebusters forums. we all know who he is.

Trev
Posted by trev  on  Mon Mar 27, 2006  at  10:00 PM
You are such a sick cookie. You should have more of a conscious and also have some respect for yourself Paul. You know who you are. Although I am not affiliated with safe2use, you and I both know that they are not out of business. I'm so sorry all you sick people have to put up with people like you barging into their forums.
Posted by Trev  on  Tue Mar 28, 2006  at  12:50 PM
I don't understand Richards post. Why the animosity. I sell no products.

The level of maturity evident here; in name calling, threats, bickering, profiteering and misrepresentation, lets me now that I have come to the wrong place.

Or, can anyone, using collembola speak or hookworm-ese, explain this 'dismmissed fibres' actions when plucked out of a patients arm and floated in 93% alcohol?

I thought not.

Please excuse, time to travel to places where It is better spent.

Regards,

Bryan.
Posted by Bryan  on  Tue Mar 28, 2006  at  08:25 PM
Ah, I see. Post removed.

Understand.

- Bryan.
Posted by Bryan  on  Tue Mar 28, 2006  at  08:28 PM
Bryan,
I'm not dismissing the fibers, I know they are a factor. But I think the scientists should be the ones to figure out how the collembola produce them.
I don't understand how people can so easily dismiss collembola as being the cause of this horrible affliction, I mean, it's not a theory but rather scientific findings:

"Abstract - Twenty individuals diagnosed with delusory parasitosis participated in a single site clinical study under the auspices of the National Pediculosis Association (NPA) and the Oklahoma State Department of Health. The objective of this study was to determine if there were any common factors in skin scrapings collected from this population. These individuals, whose symptoms were originally attributed to lice or scabies, were part of a larger group reporting symptoms of stinging/biting and/or crawling to the NPA. Multiple skin scrapings from each person were microscopically examined. Any and all fields of view that appeared incongruous to normal human skin were digitally photographed. When the photographic images were initially evaluated, no common factor was identified. However, more extensive scrutiny using imaging software revealed evidence of Collembola in 18 of the 20 participants."
Posted by cerulean  on  Tue Mar 28, 2006  at  09:08 PM
OR these:

July 1955
The springtail Sira, a pesky human parasite, confirmed for the first Swedish Medical Journal 52 (29) pages 822+26
time in Sweden.
By entomologist Felix Bryk, Solna[Vay1]
"Until now, collembolans or
Posted by cerulean  on  Tue Mar 28, 2006  at  09:10 PM
or these:

Frye, F. L. 1997. In search for the haphazardly elusive: a follow-up report on an investigation into
the possible role of Collembolans in human dermatitis. Veterinary Invertebrate Society Newsletter
13: 12.

Scott, H. G., J. S. Wiseman and C. J. Stojanovich. 1962. Collembola infesting man. Annals of the
Entomological Society of America 55(4): 428
Posted by cerulean  on  Tue Mar 28, 2006  at  09:11 PM
and.......

Hurd, P.D. (1954:814) Alaska: "During the past two summers I have served as research entomologist at the Arctic Research Laboratory, Point Barrow, Alaska." "Apparently because of the use of the aspirator, a most unique case of "myiasis" (or infestation) occured." "Approximately 2 mo. after the completion of the past summer's work at Point Barrow I became ill. During the week following the onset of illness four major groups of insects (Coleoptera, Collembola, Diptera, Hymenoptera) were passed alive from the left antrum of the sinus. These insects included ... and about 50 springtails (Collembola, Isotoma olivacea Tullberg. The medical aspects, as well as the specific identification of the insects involved, are to be reported by Donald G. Casterline, M.D. (Calif. Mo. Medicine, in press)." "It is believed that these protracted periods of dailly aspiration during the summer contributed to a case of "myiasis" that is without parallel in its origin and nature. Insofar as I have been able to ascertain none of the insects reported herein have been previously shown to cause "myiasis" in man." "Apparently the insects gained access to the sinus as eggs which passed trough the fine mesh brass screen.
Admittedly, it is almost unbelievable that the insects should have undergone several stages in their metamorphosis within the sinuses, but since the screen was so fine as to preclude the possibility of the aspiration of adult insects, it must be concluded that such was the case."
Cited from Hopkin, S.P. (1997:3):
"Hurd (1954) accidently infected his nasal sinuses with eggs
of a species of Isotoma during fieldwork and passed about 50
live springtails from his nose some two months later. Pooters
beware!"
Posted by cerulean  on  Tue Mar 28, 2006  at  09:12 PM
Scott, H.G., Wiseman, J.S. & Stojanovich, C.J. (1962:430) Texas: "Springtail insects (Orchesella albosa Guthrie, 1903, forma ainslieri Folsom, 1924) were found infesting the heads and pubic areas of a family in Buffalo, Leon County, Texas, in June 1961. No dermatitis was reported due to this infestation, and the source of the insects was not determined. Based upon known habits of this species, some moldy household item (perhaps bedding) was probably involved. Orchesella albosa has never before been reported infesting man or houses. Its chewing mouthparts are probably not capable of biting man."

Amin, O.M. (1996:64) ?: "The closest published references to the presented case1, 2 reported springtails (Insecta: Collembola) causing pruritic dermatitis in humans; collembolans are generally regarded as saprophagous and phytophagous insects. 1. Hunter GW, Frye WW, Schwartzwelder JC, 1960. A Manual of Tropical Medicine. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders. 2. Scott HG, Wiseman JS, Stojanovich CJ. 1962. Collembola infesting man. Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am: 528-530."
Posted by cerulean  on  Tue Mar 28, 2006  at  09:13 PM
Amin, O.M. (2001) Arizona: "Scalp lesions also occur in patients with neurological symptoms and are usually associated with arthropod infestation. JH (a tall, healthy, well-nourished, middle aged white American female from Arizona) had a number of such lesions [(Fig. 4)] from which springtails (Collembola: Insecta: Arthropoda) [(Fig. 5)] were collected by myself in December, 1995. There is only two other published reports of springtails from humans (Hunter et al., 1960; Scott et al., 1962)."

Hunter, G.W., Frye, W.W. & Schwartzwelder, J.C. (1960) cited from Scott, H.G., Wiseman, J.S. & Stojanovich, C.J. (1962:430) Nearctic: "Entomobrya nivalis (cosmopolitan) and Entomobrya tenuicauda (Australasian) have been reported as causing a pruritic dermatitis in man."

Mackie, T.T., Hunter, G.W. & Brooke Worth, C. (1945:541-542) Australia: "The Collembola are primarily phytophagous and are not usually thought of as medically important insects. Two Australian species, however, Entomobrya multifasciata Tullb. and E. tenuicauda Sch
Posted by cerulean  on  Tue Mar 28, 2006  at  09:14 PM
Martini, M. (1952:354) cited from Bryk, F. (1955:1824) ?: "Very discomforting mosquito-like skin irritations attributable to collembolans of the genus Entomobrya attempting to bite. "

Mertens, J. in Christiansen, K. (1998 in 2001:in litt.) Belgium: " Several years ago our Faculty of Medicine once offered me 'strange small insects', which were considered as being responsible for causing allergic reactions on the skin of a woman. Those insects were Seira domestica. I could prove that the scales of Seira on the cushioned seats caused the allergy. As you know, Lepidocyrtus, has scales too. " Mertens, J. (2004:in litt.) Belgium: "In 1976 (or 1977), our Faculty of Medicine was puzzled by a rare case of skin allergy in a woman, living near Ghent. The allergy was caused by the scales of Seira domestica on a cushion of a rotan chair. Whenever the woman used the rotan chair, the allergic skin response occured (and only then). The chair was located in the veranda, which was quite moisty and where the temperature was enjoyable. It turned out that the hollow rotan branches of the chair hosted a population of Seira domestica. During the night, they left their hiding place and crawled all over the chair. The cushion collected many of the lost scales, causing as such the allergic reaction. "
Posted by cerulean  on  Tue Mar 28, 2006  at  09:17 PM
Pescott, R.T.M. (1942:68-69) Australia:
In 1939, specimens of springtails were received from a Melbourne specialist who stated that they were causing skin troubles on a female patient. The insect in question was the species Entomobrya multifasciata Tull....... The symptoms of this case were as follows : the patient experienced a sharp biting sensation, followed by intolerable itching. There were few marks on the body with an occasional excoriated papule, while the irritation was distributed fairly generally over the trunk and limbs, but was most marked around the waist. Several specimens of the insect responsible for the condition were found on the patient's body..... "In 1941, specimens of another springtail were received from a military hospital in Victoria, where skin irritations were occuring among the nursing staff. The species concerned was Entomobrya tenuicauda Schott., a native insect originally described in 1917 from Queensland, later recorded by Womersley (3) from Western Australia and Tasmania, and now from Victoria. In this instance, the presence of the insect produced on several nurses raised lumps very similar to mosquito bites, and which later were very irritable. In one instance there was also a good deal of reddening of the calf of the leg. These conditions lasted for somewhat less than twenty-four hours in each case, but reoccurred the next day, probably from more 'bites'. On analysing this case, it appears certain that the insects were introduced into the hospital with flowers, and from there moved on the affected nurses during their normal routine duties." "3. Womersley, H. : Primitive Insects of South Australia, Gov. Printer, Adelaide, 1939." Womersley suggested that the easily detached, long ciliated hairs of Entomobrya species undoubtedly would cause skin irritations.
Posted by cerulean  on  Tue Mar 28, 2006  at  09:18 PM
Scott, H.G. (1966) cited from Ebeling, W. (1975) : "Springtails crawling or hopping on the skin may cause itching, and when crushed on the skin, they may cause a mild, localized, allergic response. (Scott et al., 1962; Scott, 1966c)."

Terinte, C., Dulceanu, N.I., Terinte, R. & Dobrescu, G. (1998?) Roumania: "A 80-years-old woman presented with pruritus, insomnia, anxiety, paleness, weight loss (7 Kg in 6 months), and loss of appetite. In the lumbar region, on the buttocks, on the right posterior hemithorax and interdigitally on both feets she had small ulcers of 0.5-1 cm in diameter, surrounded by an indurated congestive or cyanotic, ovoid area of 1 x 1.5 cm. Small scars, with furfuraceous, dry and gray exfoliation on round and linear zones of 20-25 x 4-5 cm., were observed in the submammalian region. Linear short subepidermic truncated trajects were also observed. The microscopic examination of the hypodermic material obtained by scraping, revealed an adult Collembola spp. insect, eggs, cocoons of different colours..."
Posted by cerulean  on  Tue Mar 28, 2006  at  09:19 PM
And those are just the ones written in english.

Finding it hard to believe that all of these scientists throughout the past century, and coming from all over the world are all making the exact same mistake by identifying collembola as investing people.
Posted by cerulean  on  Tue Mar 28, 2006  at  09:28 PM
I understand, appreciate and respect what you say. But even in our Laws we ever need to keep vigilance and information transforms understanding.

One person removed the fear of 'falling off the edge of the world' against all that was known to be true.

New Information: This film will rock some boats and open this a bit wider I think.

Your thoughts on it would be respected and well recieved.

Regards,

Bryan.
Posted by Bryan  on  Tue Mar 28, 2006  at  11:42 PM
you guys are idiots. on second note, you are probsbly the same person. multiple personalities. ha ha
Posted by trev  in  trev  on  Wed Mar 29, 2006  at  08:24 AM
His posts have been removed and he has been banned.

Charybdis - Moderator
Posted by Charybdis  in  Hell  on  Wed Mar 29, 2006  at  11:56 AM
I just watched the video at SilentSuperbug. I have so many thoughts racing through my head, and its 5:50 a.m. and I've been up all night researching as I do every free minute possible. I am absolutely, totally thankful to whomever was involved in conducting the research necessary to figure out what has been plaguing my life and the lives of thousands of others around the world. "It" has nearly ruined/ended what life I once enjoyed. This "thing" has now infected my husband, my son and my three Westies. My house has become a prison. I have had no contact with friends or family, as we have nothing in common anymore - how could they understand that I have bugs and/or "things" all over my body (head, nose, ears, arms, back, legs) and that I sneeze them, cough them up, etc. I'm also scared to death that I will infect them. I've always been a very strong person, however dealing with this "sci-fi", wierd, strange, unbelievable life has nearly killed me. I THANK GOD that someone has given their time to discovering what this horrible thing is. I know that so far the struggle to live day to day will continue - until they figure out how to get rid of it, but we now have that hope. Whoever is responsible for creating this monster and plaguing humankind with it is no doubt made of pure evil.

Thank you again - May God Bless You with your future research.
smile
Posted by Tonia  in  Nevada  on  Sun Apr 02, 2006  at  09:16 AM
Quoted from http://www.biology-online.org/biology-forum/search.php?search_author=tamtam

"Could people be so kind to send the link
to as well national as international Institutes.
Thank You.

Also I advise You to seek litigation."
Posted by elai  in  Houston, TX  on  Tue Apr 04, 2006  at  11:50 PM
Here's one Morgellons mystery solved:

Posted by Morgan  in  CA  on  Tue Apr 11, 2006  at  03:50 PM
People that think they have this are posting about it right here...on the HOAX FORUM?

Naaaa, it can't be.

So, is that a part of the hoax too?
Posted by Magnificent  on  Sun Apr 23, 2006  at  08:54 AM
I have had the sensation of things crawling on my skin before when around large amounts of old paper for too long. The only conclusion I had was that mites were getting on me that were attracted to paper....it was a horendous feeling...and you could never see them..but once you thought they were on you...you felt like they were crawling all over you...very much a physcholigical thing...
Posted by Robb Hill  on  Fri May 12, 2006  at  05:03 PM
Haldol should fix you guys right up, try that.

Also, remember to sleep at least every third or fourth day.
Posted by Straker  on  Fri May 12, 2006  at  07:06 PM
Apparently Morgellon's is real .

It shows up mostly in ppl with lyme's disease,
and it may be related to some horse parasites .

Posted by Duane Navarre  in  Oklahoma  on  Sat May 13, 2006  at  07:41 PM
I stumbled upon this as the direct result of recent unemployment and having way too much time on my hands on days I am too lazy to look for a job.

It seems as if I have stumbled into a whole subculture of similarly situated folks who also have way too much time on their hands; who choose to focus on endless windy arguments to "prove" their opinions to other, equally wordy skeptics seeking to "disprove" their nemeses'.

I stopped reading after two or three pages of this repetitive, self-serving, circular argument.

The "morgellons" phenomenon may be legitimate; it may be some form of hysteria.
Whether "morgellons" is a disease, either somatic or psychosomatic seems up for grabs as long as it stays in the realm of "research" done by the sufferers themselves. The patients' claims that, "This is real! I suffer from this disease, am not delusional because I see the little bugs crawling on, in, or under my skin..." is not credible.

Two additional items act to work against any legitimizing of this phenomenon. First the crackpot, conspiracy theorists have gotten a hold of this. They have every motivation from an axe to grind with someone, somewhere, to hawking tonics and machines to eradicate the evil machinations of the illuminati. All you need is an internet connection and some dollars and ninety-five cents, shipping included. Second, until the threshold of a few thousand sufferers among a world population of several billion (on the order of one part-per-million) is crossed, the morgellons phenomenon won't receive much research attention. Dollars are spent on things like heart-disease, cancers, and the common cold-things that affect large numbers of folks.

This article is entirely opinion. I have done only unsystematic surveys of web articles relating to this phenomenon. This is my first and very likely my last posting on this
Posted by edumacated  on  Sat May 13, 2006  at  07:57 PM
I observe a simple, if possible, idea.

People have some kind of infection. In fact, they do not even have the same one. This is a real infection, causes some real difficulties, and possibly impairs rational thought. These people who have these diseases read about Morgellons, and hear a little box click in their head. "This must be it!" they cry. And thus begins a happy little merry-go-round...

I am not prepared to believe in Morgellons as reported. The only doctor I've seen cited had his license revoked for prescribing illegal narcotics. All other comments regarding possible causes by other doctors have not merely been uncertain, but clear that there is no demonstrable link between Morgellons symptoms and any given pathogen. I do not even believe in the multi-colored little folicles growing around. That makes absolutely no sense. If they were of one origin, they would at least be similar in color. Reports of green, red, and blue sounds like a Christmas shopping mall, not the by-product of a malevolent disease.

Also, regarding the conspiracy theories; what kind of bioengineered threat has no actual lethality barring those sad fools who choose to end their lives? Shall the terrorists/government wackos/evil scientists riddle us with disgustingly vile skin irritation? Grow up. Get real.

It is my belief, from what I have read, that these people have some kind of disease from some other pathogen, and for whatever reason (that pathogen or otherwise) have mild mental instability that leads them to fabricate symptoms, and evidence thereof, and to believe it wholeheartedly. There is such a thing as mass delusion. A delusion, it must be noted, is not the same thing as a hallucination. A delusion is a belief in something which is not true. There are also such things as mass hallucinations, which could account for the crawling feeling.

The point is, aside from unclear at this late hour, this can far more easily be explained by common pathogenic diseases paired with slight mental imbalance (however induced) than by some mysterious super pathogen that makes string grow out of our bodies and has parasites that we ought not be able to feel crawling to vacate through holes in our skin.
Posted by The Impartial Spectator  in  Elsewhere  on  Sun May 14, 2006  at  02:30 AM
Dracunculus medinensis
Posted by NeemaSingh  on  Sun May 14, 2006  at  10:49 AM
Don't be too quick to discount "new" diseases. Several years ago I had the priviledge of supplying computer equiment to an undertaker in the city. He was telling me that long before anyone named "Aids" he had been processing dead gay men who died of it. His attempts to report it were ignored.

There seems to be an ingrained unwillingness to reject such things especially if they are really odd.

Morgellons? Who knows? Just pray if it is real you don't get it.
Posted by Sam Evan  in  Sydney  on  Mon May 22, 2006  at  04:56 AM

Think about it: It's also referred to as the "Mystery Border Disease" in many reports because most cases are cropping up in places where immigrants are most likely to enter(California, Texas, Florida). This whole thing just happens to pop up while the president is engaging the public (for the first time)in an immigrant discourse, and while senate is trying to pass an immigration bill. Coincidence?

So, rather than be the "bad guy", Bushco can close the Mexican-American boder to save us from this evil disease..thus catapulting himself into hero status?
Posted by Archbishop Murry  in  NJ  on  Wed May 24, 2006  at  01:10 PM
"I'm confident that this" disease" is nothing more than an elaborate hoax set up by the US government in order to deliberately spread fear so taht greater restrictions can be places on immigrants..particularly of Mexican and South American descent."

While we're not above dumping nasty diseases on other nationalities in desperate (and largely successful) land takeovers, the United States never conspired to do so. I am one-hundred percent confident that all instances of anihilation of lesser Americans and foreigners residing in this great land were the result of total ignorance on the part of your governmant.
Posted by G.W.B.  on  Wed May 24, 2006  at  03:16 PM
Comments: Page 12 of 21 pages ‹ First  < 10 11 12 13 14 >  Last ›