Nokia Speed Trap Detector
According to an email urban legend, certain models of Nokia phones have built-in radar detector that you can activate via secret code. Obviously this can't be true. But what I'm curious about is if a radar sign actually will appear on certain models if you follow these instructions. I could imagine bored engineers programming this in as a joke. Since I don't have access to a Nokia phone I can't test it out. Here's the email:

Nokia Speed Trap Detector
The settings for radar speed traps detector.
Your Nokia cell phone can be programmed to pick
up radar speed traps, when programmed your cell
phone picks up the radar and alerts you on the
message alert tone. ( Doesn't work with Nokia
7110! )

1. Enter your menu
2. Select settings
3. Select security settings
4. Select closed user group
5. Select on
6. Enter 00000
7. Press ok
8. Clear back to normal, within a few seconds
your phone will display a radar sign with five
zero's next to it. It is now activated.

Unfortunately only Nokia phones have this
function. Cell info display needs to be de-
activated. Settings -> Phone Settings -> Cell
Info display
Each time you turn off your phone, or even each
time you loose contact with your carrier, you'll
have to activate it again... It is done by steps
1 through 5, but the number (00000) will be
already on the field as default.
Technology
Posted by The Curator on Sat Dec 18, 2004
Utterly nothing happens. (Nokia 6610)
Posted by Naya  in  Australia  on  Sat Dec 18, 2004  at  03:10 AM
I have a Nokia 5210, and after following the instructions I see three connected squares appear on the display, with the numbers 00000 next to them. Sadly, I don't have a car so whether that's a radar detector is beyond my experimental capacities!
Posted by Alexandre  in  Helsinki  on  Sat Dec 18, 2004  at  07:56 AM
Easter egg hunt!
Posted by PlantPerson  on  Sat Dec 18, 2004  at  08:11 AM
The sequence does work, however the image is not a radar sign but a graphic meant to represent the "00000 closed user group" which has just been activated.
Posted by dirk  on  Sat Dec 18, 2004  at  10:04 AM
My grandparents have Nokia phones. But I don't have my car at the moment so I can't test this myth out.
Posted by Dany  in  Texas  on  Sat Dec 18, 2004  at  03:32 PM
Just wondering, Dani--why did you feel compelled to post to tell us that you had no information to share?
Posted by crankymediaguy  on  Sun Dec 19, 2004  at  07:56 AM
Oops, Dany, not Dani. My bad.
Posted by crankymediaguy  on  Sun Dec 19, 2004  at  07:56 AM
Nothing with 3510 although Nokia might soon release a phone with a radar... smile
Posted by A  in  Finland  on  Sun Dec 19, 2004  at  02:25 PM
Posted by Dany  in  Texas  on  Sun Dec 19, 2004  at  03:46 PM
Is it possible that by doing those instructions, it opens up your phone so that people can hijack it and make calls through your phone?
Posted by ArtStone  on  Mon Dec 20, 2004  at  09:59 AM
Maybe it only works if you have a haunted phone.
Posted by Maegan  in  Tampa, FL - USA  on  Mon Dec 20, 2004  at  01:26 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if this kind of capability became a reality in the near future, what with cellphones becoming more and more sophisticated, and law enforcement technologies becoming more and more interwoven into national Big Brother electronic networks. Hell, if Homeland Security happens to be keeping track of speed trap data via a satellite network (which could certainly have been buried in one of those three thousand pages of the latest Intelligence Bill that none of our elected officials bothered to read before signing into law), it could just be a matter of a Nokia satellite opening up a backdoor in HS's system and seeing what's near where you are. Cyberpunkalicious.

Besides, they're always looking for a new feature to cram into the latest cellphone design...
Posted by Barghest  on  Mon Dec 20, 2004  at  11:59 PM
Politics, legality, and marketing reasons aside,
I can't see how this would be feasable, since police radar frequencies are at least 10 times higher than those used by cell phones (10GHz for X-band, 24GHz for K-band, 34GHz for Ka-band, vs 900Mhz to 2.4GHz for various cell phone frequencies). It would require quite a bit of extra hardware and would be a huge drain on the battery.
Posted by John.  on  Tue Dec 21, 2004  at  12:00 PM
"Utterly nothing happens."
And what, exactly, were you expecting?
Posted by Big Gary C  in  Dallas, Texas  on  Wed Dec 22, 2004  at  05:20 PM
To Crankymediaguy...why do you care what Dany posts? Quit being so cranky smile
Posted by Fox  on  Thu Dec 23, 2004  at  06:16 PM
well i have the nokia 3600 and it seems to work for me just like it says it started beeping when i was in my dads truck then about 30 seconds later there was a speed trap when we past it i then had my dad turn around and well it went off again so it does work but personaly its of no use to me just thought i would give u my info
Posted by neonfxp  in  ontario canada  on  Tue Dec 28, 2004  at  08:55 PM
I spent 20 years in the Air Force working on Electronic Warfare equipment. Detecting and jamming radars and other such of all types. Sorry folks, the cell phones I have seen cannot support an antenna that would receive police radar. Now, if you use certain tricky electronics you can adjust the electronic wavelength of an antenna, but only so far. Now, in the years since I have retired, electronics may have found a way around this, but I doubt it. It would have made a lot of news in the electronics industry. Check with a neighborhood ham radio operator to find out.
Posted by Christopher Cole  in  Tucson, AZ  on  Sun Jan 02, 2005  at  12:00 AM
I'll try it today. I just got a Nokia 1060. Thoug I doubt it would work.
Posted by Dany  in  Texas  on  Fri Jan 07, 2005  at  03:08 PM
if u change the 00000 to 500 when u walk out of a shop with security check things it will set them off
Posted by hoggy23  on  Sat Jan 15, 2005  at  10:40 AM
Well, I enabled mine. Problem is now though, I'm getting a spinning green line going round and around with blips... loads of blips appearing too.

Plus I now keep hearing people talking to me asking if it is okay to land.

Doh!!
Posted by Dave Francis  on  Sat Jan 15, 2005  at  07:44 PM
At least it looks cool!

a whole new area...
Posted by Ag3nt  on  Fri Feb 11, 2005  at  10:23 PM
I followed the instructions then I got so excited so I stole my dad's car and drove really fast then the stupid cop stopped me and told me that I'm going 120 km/hr on a 50 km/hr zone..
His radar picked it up.
Posted by Bob  in  New York  on  Sat Apr 16, 2005  at  01:42 AM
Well. I will try it out soon... maybe today.. maybe it also works in holland tongue laugh
Posted by Heksenketel  in  the netherlands  on  Tue May 03, 2005  at  08:45 PM
it works!
Posted by madz  on  Fri Jul 01, 2005  at  04:07 AM
sceptic biscuitBrain ()
(1) Has this actually worked for anyone? Anywhere really in the universe...
(2) Also, do you think I can configure a SonyErricson 2 do the same?
Posted by BiscuitBrain  in  Johannesburg - South Africa (yes we have cars down  on  Fri Jul 29, 2005  at  12:16 PM
I drive a taxi and came looking for this site as the number of kms I do and with distracting passengers it is so easy to float over the limit. I have a Nokia 3310 and have put in the settings as given and my phone shows a radar symbol with the OOOOO after it. I will be on night shift tonight and will undoubtedly pass many cameras. I will let you know the outcome. Cheers
Posted by JanB  in  NSW Australia  on  Fri Oct 28, 2005  at  05:27 PM
i have nokia 3310 I'll try it today. Thoug I doubt it would work.
Posted by hareesh  in  india  on  Sat Nov 05, 2005  at  05:00 AM
HI EVERY BODY
Posted by k.sriman  in  india  on  Fri Nov 11, 2005  at  06:37 AM
It is BOLLOCKs -- just tried on 5210. Nothing.
Posted by Mr. Sensible  on  Sat Nov 26, 2005  at  01:58 PM
Hi on my nokia 3230 shows only a 0 and no radar sign. Is this normal ort ny nokia does not support it?
Posted by firewall1  on  Sun Dec 04, 2005  at  04:47 PM
Comments: Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >