Airport to nowhere!
Posted: 26 June 2009 03:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21
Captain Al - 25 June 2009 09:51 PM
NEO - 25 June 2009 09:30 PM

They need to have a system like aircraft carriers have that hold back the plane until the engines are at full speed then release them.

You mean a catapult.

Those are also steam-assisted launch. Engines up to speed, then counter a good chunk of that pesky inertia by flinging yon plane forward.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 26 June 2009 02:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
Robin Bobcat - 26 June 2009 07:23 AM

Those are also steam-assisted launch. Engines up to speed, then counter a good chunk of that pesky inertia by flinging yon plane forward.

Plus you can tap the catapults for hot water, so you can make hot tea whenever you need it.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 26 June 2009 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5540
Joined  2007-03-14

I guess they could also use arrestor cables to slow the planes real quick on landing.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 26 June 2009 04:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-14
gray - 26 June 2009 08:41 PM

I guess they could also use arrestor cables to slow the planes real quick on landing.

Tennis nets and flypaper.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 26 June 2009 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10731
Joined  2008-02-21

I’ve always been partial to JATO units, myself. (That way you can sneak a couple out and use them to launch a chevy or somesuch.) cheese

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 26 June 2009 08:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-14
DavePrime - 26 June 2009 09:54 PM

I’ve always been partial to JATO units, myself. (That way you can sneak a couple out and use them to launch a chevy or somesuch.) cheese

RATO is better.  It’s cheaper for one-time use, and you can jettison the superfluous weight without worrying about all the expensive machinery you’re dropping.

Signature 

2 of 2