2 of 2
“Meteorite hits boy” very doubtful
Posted: 14 June 2009 02:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  240
Joined  2007-06-23

I’m gonna agree with others on this one, sounds like some kid trying for attention/covering something up.  That’s not really a graze mark, and if it was it would’ve left something on his knuckles or gone right through them.  If it was moving at an angle it would’ve hit either his knuckles or more of his arm, right?  And it couldn’t have been slowed or deflected because ‘it left a sizable crater’.  Besides, as was mentioned meteors don’t hit earth hot, they’re freezing cold, it wouldn’t have burned him at all.

Signature 

“You know, if you watch Jaws backwards, it

Posted: 14 June 2009 03:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26371
Joined  2004-11-29

In the German version of the article, where they have a partial shot of the crater, it really doesn’t look very craterish.  I think I’m agreeing with the majority, here.  It just doesn’t seem real.  Also, (probably showing my ignorance about meteors, here), but isn’t it funny that this meteor looks rather like a bit of the asphalt?

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 14 June 2009 03:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Hmmm. . .actually, looking on the German page at the enlarged version of the photo with the crater, the crater doesn’t look even the slightest bit craterish.  It looks like the start of an ordinary pothole.  It’s flat, and sort of worn with big chunks separating here and there.

And haven’t you been raptly admiring LaMa’s meteorite collection, Smerk?!?

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 14 June 2009 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5545
Joined  2007-03-14

Hey I was close.  I was probably right about the pothole.  Maybe not so much about the kid with the slingshot.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

2 of 2