Asteroid naming scam
Posted: 05 June 2009 04:01 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

Not so much a hoax, but a scam:

Name an asteroid

This has absolutely no official status. Official asteroid names are established by the Committee on Small Body Nomenclature of the International Astronomical Union. Asteroid names are not for sale.

That any name bought through this website has no status at all, is buried deep in their website:

Is the IAD an official organization?
The global body in charge of giving asteroids their official designations is the Minor Planet Center, which is subordinate to the International Asttronomical Union. The International Asteroid Database is not affiliated with either of these organizations.

In other words: they are well aware that they are scamming people out of their money!

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 05 June 2009 05:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

It’s the same routine as the International Star Registry. Yes, your name will be added to their ‘official’ registry, for all time. Never mind that nobody but them ever use it. Working in the framing shop, we used to get people who would bring in the certificates for those things. Of course, we also got Kinkade ‘originals’, too..

Incidentally, they’ve got a new product out. Little stuffed animals that have a link and code so you can register online to name a star after your stuffed animal.

Infinite product, minimal costs, add a dash of marketing.. I rather liked the take the comic strip Pearls Before Swine had, with one of the characters starting up the International Sand Registry, where you could get one of the grains of sand in the jar next to him named after yourself.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 05 June 2009 11:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5540
Joined  2007-03-14

I guess this is kinda like that acre of land on the Moon my kids got me about 8 years ago.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 05 June 2009 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
gray - 05 June 2009 03:29 PM

I guess this is kinda like that acre of land on the Moon my kids got me about 8 years ago.

Have you tried growing crops on it yet?

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 05 June 2009 07:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5540
Joined  2007-03-14

gray - 05 June 2009 09:29 AM

I’m still working on building the outhouse.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 05 June 2009 09:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1108
Joined  2009-03-01
gray - 05 June 2009 11:34 PM

gray - 05 June 2009 09:29 AM

I’m still working on building the outhouse.

I suppose an atmosphere would be out of the question?

Signature 

“It’s not that I don’t think that the government would try to hide dead aliens; it’s that I don’t think the government would succeed, since every time the government tries to do something secretly, as in the Iran-contra arms deal, it winds up displaying all the finesse and stealth of an exploding cigar at a state funeral.”

~Dave Barry

Posted: 05 June 2009 10:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15028
Joined  2006-08-16
ZeldaQueen - 06 June 2009 01:52 AM

I suppose an atmosphere would be out of the question?

Not if he’s building a night club.  The right atmosphere is really important for night clubs.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 06 June 2009 11:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23

A very similar thing exists for “Become a Scottish laird”. Once, ownership of land allowed a person to assume the title of Laird over that piece of land. As only the gentry could actually own land, it all sort of worked out.

So these people sell a square foot of land and claim by owning it you can legitimately become a ‘Laird’. Of course, they neglect to mention that mere ownership of land didn’t entitle anyone to the title of ‘Laird’ for a loooooong time (in fact there’s a statute from the 70s that makes the title purely herediatry. There is no way to ‘become’ a Laird unless your father was one and dies).

Which really annoys me because it borders on fraudulent (saying that by buying this you’re a Laird when legally and socially that’s bullshit).

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 07 June 2009 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Yep. Additionally, they sell to US citizens, who aren’t able to hold foreign title or rank.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 07 June 2009 09:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23

Exactly.

So it’s bullsh*t on two counts for the Yanks. Plus Scots Law doesn’t allow anyone to inherit if they hold US citizenship, out of principle.

Nah, kidding. But it’d be fun.

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

1 of 1