Posted: 01 June 2009 10:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1108
Joined  2009-03-01
Renquist - 02 June 2009 01:28 AM
ZeldaQueen - 01 June 2009 04:04 PM
hulitoons - 01 June 2009 01:36 PM

I don’t really understand the Hubbard worship at all.  He’s listed everywhere under science fiction and fantasy and while he has been a lucrative author in this genre, it almost seems as if those drawn into this fiction scenario are part of a very large improvisational group role-playing his collective favored stories.  I’ve listed only a few below but he’s been a fairly prolific ‘story teller’, but that’s really the key ‘STORY’.  (shoot, I like Stephen King and his name’s better suited to a religion too…......anyone want to join me???)

As far as stress tests go, I hate to be the bearer of really bad news, but every human AND animal ever born enters into a life of nothing BUT stress on many levels…........heck, even when you fall asleep and dream what I’d term a good or fun dream, you have to bear in mind that fun awake or dreaming is also stressful!  That’s what motivates us really to keep putting one foot in front of the other.

I know. Have you read Hubbard’s belief about what happens to people after they die? It’s crazy and that’s considering the other “legit” religion life-after-death scenarios.

Now J.K. Rowling on the other hand makes for a fine religion! smile

And yes, everyone has some stress in their lives. As my previous Health teacher said, the only ones who don’t have stress are dead.

Nonsense.

Stress gets nobody anywhere. Some people let it rule their lives. The best way is to just not give enough of a damn to let it affect you. Feet up, kick back and just relax.

Excessive stress yes, but it’s stress in small doses that motivate us to do our homework or get a job done.

Anyway, everyone worries about something. I worry about stuff quite frequently. Even as I’m typing this, I feel terrified of something and I can’t remember what (really).

Signature 

“It’s not that I don’t think that the government would try to hide dead aliens; it’s that I don’t think the government would succeed, since every time the government tries to do something secretly, as in the Iran-contra arms deal, it winds up displaying all the finesse and stealth of an exploding cigar at a state funeral.”

~Dave Barry

Posted: 01 June 2009 10:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5545
Joined  2007-03-14

Stress is something measured by a strain gauge and is a concern of structural engineers not religious fanatics.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 01 June 2009 10:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23
ZeldaQueen - 02 June 2009 02:03 AM

I don’t really understand the Hubbard worship at all.  He’s listed everywhere under science fiction and fantasy and while he has been a lucrative author in this genre, it almost seems as if those drawn into this fiction scenario are part of a very large improvisational group role-playing his collective favored stories.  I’ve listed only a few below but he’s been a fairly prolific ‘story teller’, but that’s really the key ‘STORY’.  (shoot, I like Stephen King and his name’s better suited to a religion too…......anyone want to join me???)

As far as stress tests go, I hate to be the bearer of really bad news, but every human AND animal ever born enters into a life of nothing BUT stress on many levels…........heck, even when you fall asleep and dream what I’d term a good or fun dream, you have to bear in mind that fun awake or dreaming is also stressful!  That’s what motivates us really to keep putting one foot in front of the other.

I know. Have you read Hubbard’s belief about what happens to people after they die? It’s crazy and that’s considering the other “legit” religion life-after-death scenarios.

And yes, everyone has some stress in their lives. As my previous Health teacher said, the only ones who don’t have stress are dead.

Nonsense.

Stress gets nobody anywhere. Some people let it rule their lives. The best way is to just not give enough of a damn to let it affect you. Feet up, kick back and just relax.

Excessive stress yes, but it’s stress in small doses that motivate us to do our homework or get a job done.

Anyway, everyone worries about something. I worry about stuff quite frequently. Even as I’m typing this, I feel terrified of something and I can’t remember what (really).

No, stress is not a motiviation, only a hindrance. It’s wanting to do well and thus avoid stress that drives people to finish a job. If you find stress pushing you to do anything, you need to step back and re-evaluate your position.

As HH the Dalai Lama famously said “Chill out- it’s not the end of the world so try and enjoy yourself”.

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 01 June 2009 10:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-01
Renquist - 02 June 2009 02:15 AM
ZeldaQueen - 02 June 2009 02:03 AM

Nonsense.

No, stress is not a motiviation, only a hindrance. It’s wanting to do well and thus avoid stress that drives people to finish a job. If you find stress pushing you to do anything, you need to step back and re-evaluate your position.

As HH the Dalai Lama famously said “Chill out- it’s not the end of the world so try and enjoy yourself”.

Huh. Maybe my life’s a bit screwy then. downer

And all I know is that I was taught that like cholesterol, you can’t go through life without experiencing stress at some points.

On the topic of Scientology, what are these “stress tests” like? I’ve never heard of them.

Signature 

“It’s not that I don’t think that the government would try to hide dead aliens; it’s that I don’t think the government would succeed, since every time the government tries to do something secretly, as in the Iran-contra arms deal, it winds up displaying all the finesse and stealth of an exploding cigar at a state funeral.”

~Dave Barry

Posted: 01 June 2009 11:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6932
Joined  2005-10-21

Zelda: They’re pretty much multiple-choice questions that are contrstucted in such a way that they can *always* say ‘oh, you’ve got a lot of stress in your life in *this* area.. let us help you’.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 02 June 2009 06:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

Okay, let’s identify what I was first trying to say (and I believe Zelda was too), ‘stress’ (this single word gets a lot of negative connotations put to it) occurs on multiple levels in both the psyche and the body.  A better way to view the word on varying levels is to remember that your heart beats and hormone flows are controlled by our reaction to given events (even while we’re sleeping).  The first levels (healthy ones) have basically to do with excitement, joy, love, exhilaration over even success.  Even making a decision to turn right or left along a relaxing path rises a tiny stress level.  Even getting out of bed in the morning from sleep to waking induces small stress doses.  These are good stressors though because for the most part they cause the physical body to react with those endocrine secretions that aid the body in healing. 

THEN there are the stresses that give this poor word its stereotypical character. 

My dad had a lot of apple trees that had stopped producing well so he took some of the lower limb tips and tied them to the ground.  He explained that the tree would react as if its life was being threatened and would begin to produce well again.  Sure enough, after several years of few fruit, the tree blossomed like a bride and apples were everywhere.  We do the same with shrubs and trees when we cut them back. 

Good stress is very positive for not only the psyche, but also in strengthening the immune levels.  Too much of anything however, can overwhelm and produce opposite effects.  So, the key is to keep good stress as the major player.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 02 June 2009 11:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-01

Right, thanks hulitoons.

It’s like cholesterol. Too much gets you sick, but if you have none in your body you’d just be one unisexual blob.

Signature 

~Dave Barry

2 of 2