Newsweek attacks Oprah
Posted: 01 June 2009 10:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5539
Joined  2007-03-14

*pokes Huli*

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 02 June 2009 07:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17
gray - 02 June 2009 02:30 AM

*pokes Huli*

yeh…........I’m hopeless

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 02 June 2009 07:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27
Accipiter - 01 June 2009 02:42 AM
Razela - 31 May 2009 10:54 PM

. ..and I don’t get why so many people take her so seriously.

Probably they do it because so many people take her so seriously.  She’s at the point now where she’s famous because she’s famous.

She will turn into some kinda Paris Hilton then.

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 02 June 2009 07:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

Since I’m the oldest woman here (as opposed to the oldest guy), I think I should add some (what I hope is wiserly) advice here, particularly because some of the girls here are eventually going to hit peri-menopause sooner than they think and because some of the guys are going to face this with their significant others.

I was one of the women who hit this phase with some very serious symptoms, and I’m not quite as unique as many healthy professionals might have the typical woman believe when this begins.  Menopause CAN cause marital difficulties guys and even with women who seem to not have serious problems so it’s really imperative that you not belittle the woman in your life.  Think of this area of time as being AS difficult as hitting puberty and all the exasperating trauma of a teenager, only this time there’s a partner involved as well.  But I also believe that if women know before hand, they can also take steps to smooth the transition without fear and her partner can help….remember, she doesn’t have to go through this alone.

SOME women, not all, will really and truly need hormone therapy for awhile.  It’s NOT typical that women lose ‘estrogen’ completely….that’s a myth.  They just FINALLY don’t need as much to be healthy.  They will though, need other vitamins and minerals to boost other areas that also fall down during and then afterwards, but nearly everyone alive needs these supplements if they don’t get enough in their diets (hmmmmmmmm that pretty much includes everyone!)

Having too much estrogen when you don’t need it (no longer in childbearing years) can be a hazard to a woman though.  The amounts Ms. Somers is promoting can cause or hasten heart attacks, stroke, breast cancer and this list just goes on and on. 

I can also tell you with firmness AND from experience that sex does NOT dry up either!  It IS true that if a woman’s estrogen is fluctuating too much, her sense and sensibilities are so chaotic that she’s not ‘here or there’ and this activity can become painful THAT’s when you make sure you get to the doctor (this does also become an area of disarray for the partnership if it’s not addressed). 

Once this phase passes, women suddenly start skipping and dancing and making sense again (except I never did so that never changed).  With grand certainty I can also tell you that the sky IS bluer….and I certainly had an active and very healthy and FUN dating life and then married again at age 59.  I believe I probably have sex more often than many (male and female) half my age.

Signature 

UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 02 June 2009 10:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  22747
Joined  2006-03-29
hulitoons - 01 June 2009 09:55 AM

All right Tah and Acci!  I cannot BELIEVE I was that tired (okay, I was asleep)!  Someone please wake me up?

You probably need to adjust your nanotechnology patch.

Signature 

Remember, remember… I am the ONE.

Posted: 02 June 2009 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17
NEO - 02 June 2009 02:49 PM
hulitoons - 01 June 2009 09:55 AM

All right Tah and Acci!  I cannot BELIEVE I was that tired (okay, I was asleep)!  Someone please wake me up?

You probably need to adjust your nanotechnology patch.

Shoot, at 62 I forgot I had that thing on there…..........

Signature 

Posted: 02 June 2009 02:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5539
Joined  2007-03-14

You weren’t supposed to put it THERE.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 02 June 2009 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27
gray - 02 June 2009 06:50 PM

You weren’t supposed to put it THERE.

You mean it isn

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 08 June 2009 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  356
Joined  2004-11-10

According to Entertainment Weekly, Oprah has issued a statement in response to the Newsweek article.

“For 23 years, my show has presented thousands of topics that reflect the human experience, including doctors’ medical advice and personal health stories that have prompted conversations between our audience members and their health care providers,” Winfrey said in the statement. “I trust the viewers, and I know that they are smart and discerning enough to seek out medical opinions to determine what may be best for them.”

(Emphasis mine)

I could very well be wrong but I don’t believe she gives any kind of disclaimer before controversial guests in the medical field are featured which is where it should be done.

Suzanne Somers has also responded on her blog. She’s complaining the article did not mention all the studies she uses to “prove” her case. One of the studies she links to examined the health risks associated with hormones and has this for a conclusion:

Conclusions  Overall health risks exceeded benefits from use of combined estrogen plus progestin for an average 5.2-year follow-up among healthy postmenopausal US women. All-cause mortality was not affected during the trial. The risk-benefit profile found in this trial is not consistent with the requirements for a viable intervention for primary prevention of chronic diseases, and the results indicate that this regimen should not be initiated or continued for primary prevention of CHD (Coronary Heart Disease).

That doesn’t sound like much of an endorsement to me. Much of it may even be irrelevant to the subject since it seems to focus on the use of hormones to prevent heart problems. But of course Oprah’s viewers already know that because they do their own research before following any advice given on her show. wink

Before we give her the benefit of the doubt about her anti-aging practices, look at a typical photo displayed on her blog.

Then look at one taken by someone who doesn’t work for her.

Quite a difference. I’d say she looks much like anyone else her age.

Signature 

Alas, to wear the mantle of Galileo it is not enough that you be persecuted by an unkind establishment, you must also be right.
-Robert Park

Posted: 08 June 2009 08:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1108
Joined  2009-03-01

Bah, if people could market “Fountain of Youth” drinks, they would.

hulitoons - 01 June 2009 01:11 AM

Tah, I think you’d find quite a few women who wished the frack they DIDN’t live to ‘menopause’ HAHAHAHA!  Some, and this is true, are debilitated by the symptoms which are WAYYYYY more than hot flashes (which incidentally I had so bad every 15 minute that I’d rip off my clothes without realizing what the hell I was doing….or where I was).  In truth, that era is also quite dangerous because women suddenly start losing calcium in huge amounts from their bodies, and suddenly prone to stroke and heart attacks etc.  Your hair falls out, your teeth crumble, your skin turns to tissue.  That’s why hormone therapy for a short term is recommended but only for those whose symptoms are serious and these are pharmaceutical grade.

Now I don’t want to live past 30!  gulp

I can’t wait for my mom to hit that. It’s bad enough when she’s got her Time of the Month. rolleyes

Signature 

“It’s not that I don’t think that the government would try to hide dead aliens; it’s that I don’t think the government would succeed, since every time the government tries to do something secretly, as in the Iran-contra arms deal, it winds up displaying all the finesse and stealth of an exploding cigar at a state funeral.”

~Dave Barry

Posted: 08 June 2009 09:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23

Women have to put up with periods and menopause. To relieve the discomfort they strive, during such times, to make men’s lives as uncomfortable as possible in a form of compensatory pain-sharing wink

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

2 of 2