1 of 2
Newsweek attacks Oprah
Posted: 31 May 2009 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  356
Joined  2004-11-10

A scathing and long overdue article about the daily BS being spewed on Oprah’s show. This is a detailed list of the Best of Oprah quackery. The first to be examined is the bizarre daily ritual performed by Suzanne Somers. With Oprah by her side, declaring her a pioneer, she blabbed on air about the massive amount of vitamins she consumes daily as well as injecting herself with hormones in private places. And that’s just for starters.

Somers says it’s mainstream doctors who need to get their facts straight. “The problem is that our medical schools do not teach this,” she said in a February interview with NEWSWEEK. She believes doctors, scientists and the media are all in the pocket of the pharmaceutical industry. “Billions are spent on marketing drugs, and these companies also support academic research.” Free from these entanglements, Somers can see things clearly. “I have spent thousands of hours on this. I’ve written 18 books on health. I know my stuff.”

In case you were wondering, yes, they do get around to discussing Oprah’s endorsement of “The Secret”.

P.S. For 50 bonus points, see if you can spot the reference to Lifewave Energy Patches.

Signature 

Alas, to wear the mantle of Galileo it is not enough that you be persecuted by an unkind establishment, you must also be right.
-Robert Park

Posted: 31 May 2009 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5150
Joined  2005-01-27

Suzanne Somers is full of BS and very very dangerous.

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 31 May 2009 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
 Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 31 May 2009 05:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1167
Joined  2005-06-15

Yes one should eat right and excerise.  Vitimins may help, but too many of some will do harm.  Menopause is natural.  Women today should be happy to have lived as long as they do, because in times past women were lucky to reach the age of 30, much less reach menopause.  With autism, more research needs to be done.  While I’m all for vaccinations, I do think that too many are given at one time.  They need to be spread out more.  getting 3-4 shots in one day is way too much in one MD visit.

Signature 

Beerrun all we need is a 10 and a fiver a car, keys, and a sober driver

Posted: 31 May 2009 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1581
Joined  2004-11-10

Thanks! That was a really great article. I just can’t stand Oprah, and I don’t get why so many people take her so seriously.

Signature 

Fads they come and fads they go, but god I love that Rock & Roll!
-Modest Mouse

Posted: 31 May 2009 07:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

In addition, she wears “nanotechnology patches” to help her sleep, lose weight and promote “overall detoxification.”

HAHAHAA!!  LOL

Oh frick, I can’t stand Oprah.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 31 May 2009 08:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10733
Joined  2008-02-21

I like the following quote from the article, I may just have to add it to my sig line…...

“The problem is that this all has the aura of being scientific when a lot of it is wrong, or not proven or just utter hogwash,” Cooper says. “No wonder it sounds very credible to the patients, and in my opinion, that’s even worse. If it was all complete rubbish, people would be more likely to see it for what it really is.”

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 31 May 2009 09:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

........and then, before I go to bed, I try to remember

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 31 May 2009 10:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-14
Razela - 31 May 2009 10:54 PM

. ..and I don’t get why so many people take her so seriously.

Probably they do it because so many people take her so seriously.  She’s at the point now where she’s famous because she’s famous.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 31 May 2009 10:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15030
Joined  2006-08-16
hulitoons - 01 June 2009 01:11 AM

Tah, I think you’d find quite a few women who wished the frack they DIDN’t live to ‘menopause’ HAHAHAHA!

Eh?  What?  I didn’t post anything in this thread (until just now).

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 31 May 2009 11:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-14
Tah - 01 June 2009 02:56 AM
hulitoons - 01 June 2009 01:11 AM

Tah, I think you’d find quite a few women who wished the frack they DIDN’t live to ‘menopause’ HAHAHAHA!

Eh?  What?  I didn’t post anything in this thread (until just now).

But your name is very similar to I Am An Ex Associate.  Both have letters in them, making them virtually indistinguishable!  wink

Signature 

Posted: 01 June 2009 05:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

All right Tah and Acci!  I cannot BELIEVE I was that tired (okay, I was asleep)!  Someone please wake me up?

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

1 of 2