The Role of the Conspiracy Theory in Shaping Modern History
Posted: 29 May 2009 07:02 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5150
Joined  2005-01-27

[size=1]Ok, I know. It

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of´╗┐ our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 29 May 2009 10:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

All you have to do is to look at all the murderers and terrorists who do what they do because “the Jews secretly control America” or whatever, or all the wars that have started because one side believed (or at least claimed to believe) that the other side was conspiring.

Though the Catiline Conspiracy that was mentioned above is kind of an interesting one:  it’s quite possible that Lucius Catilina was not actually conspiring anything at first, and that it was Cicero’s constant accusations that he was conspiring and Cicero’s persecution of him that led to Catilina finally creating a true (and unsuccessful) conspiracy against Cicero and the Roman government.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 29 May 2009 12:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1108
Joined  2009-03-01

The thing I find interesting about conspiracy theories is that whoever’s involved in them just happens to be the person or kind of person (Jews, Jesuits, Muslims, gays, etc) that the theoriest dislikes.

For example, just after Arlene Spector switched to the Democratic Party, a conspiracy theoriest insisted that he was secretly a part of Obama’s NWO plan (or a NWO plan at any rate, this same theorist insisted that Obama was just a pawn being controlled by Henry Kissinger)

It’s like Anne Lamott’s friend once said, how if God hates the same people you do it’s a clear sign you’re remaking Him in your image. Much the same could be said about these theories.

On the subject of real conspiracies, there have been real ones I’ll conceed, but near as I know they don’t stay secret for decades and decades. (Or at least ones hatched by the American government don’t cheese)

Signature 

“It’s not that I don’t think that the government would try to hide dead aliens; it’s that I don’t think the government would succeed, since every time the government tries to do something secretly, as in the Iran-contra arms deal, it winds up displaying all the finesse and stealth of an exploding cigar at a state funeral.”

~Dave Barry

Posted: 29 May 2009 03:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

What else is somewhat ironic is how so many of the horrible ghastly evil characteristics and qualities that the conspiracy theorists decry the plotters for having are, in reality, displayed mainly in the character and actions of the conspiracy theorists.  They’ll accuse people or governments or whatever of lying, and then to support their theory they’ll lie, falsify information, selectively quote so as to give false impressions, and so on.  They’ll accuse people of inciting fear and hatred, but the main people doing that end up being the conspiracy theorists.  They’ll complain about how nobody questions anything or has an open mind, and then you ask them a question and they through a tantrum.  It’s as though they’re trying to disguise their own bad qualities by trying to blame somebody else for them.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 14 June 2009 06:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06
Beasjt - 29 May 2009 11:02 AM

The book review

I have bought and am currently reading this book. Interesting read. Some very sharp observations in it, but sometimes written a bit chaotic.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

1 of 1