1 of 1
American Stonehenge: Monumental Instructions for the Post-Apocalypse
Posted: 22 May 2009 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

The strangest monument in America looms over a barren knoll in northeastern Georgia. Five massive slabs of polished granite rise out of the earth in a star pattern. The rocks are each 16 feet tall, with four of them weighing more than 20 tons apiece. Together they support a 25,000-pound capstone. Approaching the edifice, it’s hard not to think immediately of England’s Stonehenge or possibly the ominous monolith from 2001: A Space Odyssey. Built in 1980, these pale gray rocks are quietly awaiting the end of the world as we know it.

Called the Georgia Guidestones, the monument is a mystery

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 22 May 2009 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

It doesn’t really remind me of Stonehenge at all.  More like a rocket launch platform.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 22 May 2009 08:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23

Looks nothing like Stonehenge or any other megalithic site. Just looks like a couple of big slabs.

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 24 May 2009 01:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1108
Joined  2009-03-01

I read the Wiki page on it. Wtf’s wrong with people, saying it’s “The tablets of the Antichrist” and satanic in origin? All it seems to say is how to keep the earth going longer and to prize things like love, beauty, and harmony.

Oh yeah, I forgot how much Lucifer loves love, beauty, and harmony. rolleyes

Signature 

“It’s not that I don’t think that the government would try to hide dead aliens; it’s that I don’t think the government would succeed, since every time the government tries to do something secretly, as in the Iran-contra arms deal, it winds up displaying all the finesse and stealth of an exploding cigar at a state funeral.”

~Dave Barry

Posted: 24 May 2009 11:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27
ZeldaQueen - 24 May 2009 05:10 AM

I read the Wiki page on it. Wtf’s wrong with people, saying it’s “The tablets of the Antichrist” and satanic in origin? All it seems to say is how to keep the earth going longer and to prize things like love, beauty, and harmony.

yeeaah, Lucifer sucks… a lot

wink

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 24 May 2009 12:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23
ZeldaQueen - 24 May 2009 05:10 AM

Because they’d rather have a mural of God smiting Sodom and Gomorrah.

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 24 May 2009 11:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5539
Joined  2007-03-14

It does sound kind of cool the way the guy did it.  Spend all that money on it then turn it over to the county.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 25 May 2009 12:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1108
Joined  2009-03-01
gray - 25 May 2009 03:51 AM

It does sound kind of cool the way the guy did it.  Spend all that money on it then turn it over to the county.

Agreed. Although things did go sour when some nuts graffitied it. rolleyes

Signature 

“It’s not that I don’t think that the government would try to hide dead aliens; it’s that I don’t think the government would succeed, since every time the government tries to do something secretly, as in the Iran-contra arms deal, it winds up displaying all the finesse and stealth of an exploding cigar at a state funeral.”

~Dave Barry

Posted: 25 May 2009 04:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Personally, I like Carhenge, in Alliance, Nebraska.

http://www.carhenge.com/

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

1 of 1