1 of 2
Madonna / Gorillaz Grammy Performance
Posted: 10 February 2006 07:45 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2004-11-08

Did anyone see the opening number?

Press releases indicate that Madonna was live, and working with the prerecorded animation.  However, there is one point where she walks in front of one character, then walks behind it. 

Additionally, her hair and costume were magically changed in about 10 seconds between the animated number and her live dance performance.

Not a big deal, but I feel that the first portion was all prerecorded, Madonna and all, and that is the only way it could have been done.

Is this Hoax material?  I’ve done some web searching, but all I can find is press release type material.

Posted: 10 February 2006 08:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3174
Joined  2005-05-19

I think Madonna is actually a Time Tourist from the future sent to our age to inflict horrible music upon us. Weather or not tis is a hoax is another matter….

Signature 

“Never before in my time at the bar or on the bench have I ever had to deal with somebody who voluntarily allowed himself to be buggered by a dog on the public highway.”

Posted: 10 February 2006 06:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

There are about 10 people standing backstage to change her hair & clothing.  I read an article on someone who had a particularly large costume that she had to use, and then change into something else for the song immediately following…She just wore it under the first costume…the top costume was held together with velcro & snaps.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 10 February 2006 09:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2004-11-08

I wasn’t referring to her wardrobe change, but if she was really walking live amongst animated characters, or if the first portion was prerecorded with her in it. 

I believe it was prerecorded, because her hairstyle and outfit were different, and there is NO way she could have gotten changed and into position in the 10 seconds that she had.

But, I thought someone here might’ve read something about it online somewhere.

I did find on YouTube a discussion of it, and they indicated that the first portion was indeed prerecorded.

Posted: 15 February 2006 06:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2006-02-15

I see what you mean about the hair. In the intro portion with Gorillaz her hair is sorta flat, but with the dancers it’s got that 70’s wavey look.

But the biggest clue to it being pre-recorded is when she walks behind the bass cartoon character. Walking behind it wouldn’t normally be that hard to do if they used two projectors (one projecting from behind the transparent screen for when she walks in front of him, another projecting from in front of him for when she walks behind him). By using multiple screens for the bass guitar player, and the other cartoon characters, it would be a challenge, but it would work. Even the scene where the cartoon girl comes on stage could be done with multiple screens and projectors.

All that would work, but what doesn’t work is when she walks behind the bass cartoon character. He’s wearing a black hat, but when she walks behind the hat her face is covered. No matter where the projector is, her face should shine through the transparent screen since black isn’t projected (light is simply withheld where the color black is).

I suppose they could have gotten extremely fancy and found a way to spot her with a bunch of individual lights as she walked behind him such that her face “lost light” as she walked behind the black hat, but it would be infinitely simpler to just pre-record the sequence and digitally alter that bit.

Still, it was cool as hell and knowing it was probably pre-recorded doesn’t change the experience for me at all. I loved it!

Posted: 15 February 2006 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-02-15

Oh, and anyone can watch it at http://music.yahoo.com/promo-25023071 (on the right side).

Posted: 19 February 2006 01:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2006-02-19

I think that in the first part Madona isn’t on the stage at all. Probably she was projected on a screen along with the Gorillaz. So if she isn’t realy there, it makes it so damn easy to put her behind the bass cartoon character. I think what makes it look so improbable is that the Gorillaz are slightly blured and Madona is not, which makes her look real.

That could explain and her makeover. Madona hasn’t changed anything, she just left on the pre-recorded projection and appeared live for the second part.

Posted: 26 February 2006 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2006-02-26

Just watched the video on Yahoo. It’s 18 seconds she was offscreen, and the costume is the same.  oh oh

Posted: 27 February 2006 05:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

I haven’t watched it yet…but I think someone is overthinking the whole thing.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 22 May 2006 08:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-05-22

Glad to see alot of people could not tell the difference. I know the truth. I know the guy that designed it. This is so awesome. You will be seeing alot more of the same around the world. I know some of you are saying BS! I will say one word….GAP.  Email be after Christmas then call BS on me. There will other things before that but I am not allowed to say. I will be installing this system soon. It is so cool. Imagine playing Xbox in 3D. Fight Night in 3D would be the shi*. Anyway thought it was cool people couldn’t tell the difference.

Posted: 22 May 2006 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1313
Joined  2006-02-05

TWRCLMR, I believe you!  And on this site, you will find beleivers and skeptics over everything, it is all an intellectual joust, don’t take anything personal!

Best of luck in your career, and I find the inside information fascinating.  Thaks!

So tell me, is the X-Box the way to go, or should I wait to see the Sony PS 3?

Dan the Curious

Posted: 23 May 2006 07:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-05-22

Thanks Dan. I have the Xbox 360 and I know alot of other people do. I am not happy with it. I have sent mine in for repair twice as well as my son. Other people I know have had problems also. As to expect considering it is a computer. I’m on the waiting list for the PS3. It is supposed to blow Xbox away. I have seen some demos and the graphics are great. The price will be more but worth it if they keep everything they are supposed to have on it. That’s the reason you have not seen any new Sony computers in Best Buy or anywhere. They have put all their time into this. The starting price I have been told is going to be $425 but I would say closer to $500 by the time they come out. It’s going to be the same way Xbaox was. Only 1 million world wide are going out at first. So better find a Game Stop or something and get on that list.

1 of 2