Weight-loss berries a scam?
Posted: 25 July 2010 08:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2894
Joined  2005-06-15
Maegan - 25 July 2010 02:50 PM

White people will buy anything.

I think it’s more like White Men Can’t Jump.

I guess this whole weight loss scam would be giving acai berries and goji berries a bad name. I’m sure like any edible fruit they would have a place in a healthy diet.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 25 July 2010 08:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

The bakery where I sometimes work started selling some iced fruit drinks a while ago.  One of the flavours of the fruit pur

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 25 July 2010 08:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2894
Joined  2005-06-15
Accipiter - 26 July 2010 12:34 AM

The bakery where I sometimes work started selling some iced fruit drinks a while ago.  One of the flavours of the fruit pur

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 25 July 2010 08:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-14
Peter - 26 July 2010 12:41 AM

Did too many people find the taste of acai too hideous? I should seek acai out and actually try it for myself to see what it tastes like. I just don’t want to pay too high a price for one of these juices simply because it’s being marketed as a weight loss thang.

Actually, it didn’t seem to influence the flavour at all.  I think that the blueberry drowned it out.  And I’m not aware of anybody trying the blueberry and acai mix for the acai itself, either. . .most of them just ignored the acai part of it, or just wondered “What’s acai?”.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 25 July 2010 09:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10733
Joined  2008-02-21

Save your money, Peter.  It’s not worth it.

6 or so months ago I was at the store and thirsty (without coffee) gulp so I bought a bottle of acai/pomenganite/?raspberry? juice out of one of the coolers on the end of the checkout line.  It was hideous.  Tasted like rancid scope. sick  The flavor was sour/bitter/juniperberry-ish.  (Kind of like some of those “energy” drinks out there.  I don’t understand the appeal of those things either. After all, one could get more ‘pickup’ from an espresso or bottle of Mt Dew.  Those at least taste good!) rolleyes

I think somebody somewhere discovered that if it tasted horrible, people would believe it must have some medicinal property or something. shut eye

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 26 July 2010 10:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-07-26

I have purchased a acai berry based drink and it was great… It was like a red wine without the alcohol content.

A glass a day was all that was needed and after a short period of time I had a lot more energy and felt a lot better in myself.

The only draw back was the cost of each bottle. If it wasn’t so expensive I would still be drinking it now.

Someone previously mentioned autism (as a joke?) I personally know a couple with a autistic son and that acai drink I mentioned helped him heaps, it calmed him down, he slept better etc and he was only given about a cap fill a day.

I believe in that particular acai berry drink but have never had anything else.

Posted: 27 July 2010 04:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Thank you for your valuable input… and yet you have a weightloss URL in your profile settings. Yeah, thank you so much..

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 27 July 2010 04:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9103
Joined  2008-03-02

Aww, Robin, you don’t think ol’ Ben there is pulling our leg, do you? rolleyes

Signature 

“Like a crazed Nigerian wearing LifeWave Energy Patches” (Nettie, on the night she “banned” me from the MoH!)

“What fools these mortals be…”—Smaug (according to Robert Asprin)

Visit here to help my dragons grow! Thanks!

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

Posted: 02 August 2010 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  47
Joined  2004-11-08

I found some juice at my local grocery store and tried it.  Oh man, it was terrible.  I agree with daveprime that it tasted rancid.  Also, after I drank it, I had an allergic reaction.  I broke out in hives. :( It freaked me out because I’ve never had an allergic reaction to food before.  Guess I’m allergic to the acai berry.

Posted: 02 August 2010 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-14

They’re a major food crop down in parts of Central and South America (about equal to wheat or corn in North America), but I don’t recall ever having just plain acai berries.  They were always mixed in with something else and cooked up.

Signature 

Posted: 27 August 2012 04:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-08-23
Peter - 25 July 2010 11:34 AM

Has anybody on the MOH forums actually tried drinking Acai Berry juice? I keep wondering what it actually tastes like.

As for weight loss I dare say I get more benefit from eating un-toasted muesli in low fat milk for breakfast.

There are many other solutions available to get rid of over weight problems. The products those are claiming much more weight loss in very short span of time are actually misleading. Instead of weight your money as well health is lost. One must keep in mind that fats deposits killing is not a matter of days or weeks it need right solutions according to the health issue. And there are safe and secure solutions available as well.

2 of 2