Alexander the Great, famous Aussie
Posted: 20 March 2009 08:16 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/03/19/2521146.htm

Hunt for Alexander’s tomb: Greece, Egypt, Persia, India, Broome

Alexander the Great, whose tomb has been missing for nearly 2,000 years, could be buried in Broome in Western Australia, a Perth man says.

Macedonian-born Tim Tutungis told ABC Kimberley that he first heard the ‘Broomer’ from his old mate, Lou Batalis.

“We just got onto the subject of Alexander The Great’s tomb, and he said, ‘They’ll never ever find it, no matter where they look, because Alexander the Great is buried in Broome, in Western Australia’,” Mr Tutungis said.

“Approximately 50 years ago, some guy went into a cave in Broome and he saw some inscriptions in there and they looked like ancient Greek.

“He reported it to the government, then the government went and saw it and they confirmed there were some inscriptions there.

“They went to the Greek community and they asked the community, ‘Is there anyone here who can read ancient Greek?’

“Naturally Louis Batalis put his hand up and said, ‘Yes, I went to school in Egypt, I got educated, I can read it’. So they took him up there and he defined the inscriptions as saying, in ancient Greek, ‘Alexander the Great’.

“The government did say to him at that time, ‘You didn’t see this, OK, this never happened’.”

History’s mystery

Alexander the Great died on June 11, 323 BC, probably from malaria, alcoholism or poisoning.

One traditionally accepted story says his body was placed in two gold caskets in a gold carriage. Another says his body was preserved in a clay jar filled with honey and that this was placed in a glass coffin.

Some historians say Alexander’s general and friend, Ptolemy, stole the body and took it to Alexandria, while others say Roman Emperor Caligula looted the tomb and stole Alexander’s breastplate.

According to some sources, Emperor Septimius Severus closed Alexander’s tomb about 200 AD, and little is known of the body’s whereabouts after that.

Mr Tutungis says he is 99 per cent convinced Mr Batalis told him the truth, because people “have looked everywhere” for Alexander’s grave, to no avail.

He says his friend is a very old man now and has virtually lost his memory, and others who heard the story had dismissed it.

But he says Mr Batalis was “a man of substance” who was very educated, and the story stuck with him.

“I drew my own conclusion because the war of the Macedonians ended up in India and I assumed that some of the soldiers went back to Macedonia on foot,” Mr Tutungis said.

“Some of the soldiers must have caught a ship. Why can’t we say that Alexander did catch a ship; they lost their way in the treacherous ways up there.

“Look where India is, look where Broome is; a ship could easily get wrecked in Broome.”

Mr Tutungis says a new documentary suggests that when the war ended, Alexander the Great ordered thousands of ships to built.

He takes that as further evidence to support his theory and has written to a detective from Scotland Yard who is looking for Alexander’s grave.

“Nobody ever, ever suspected that Alexander could have died in Broome,” he said.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 20 March 2009 08:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

“My friend says it’s true!”

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 20 March 2009 08:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-14

We’ll have to send Smerk and Nettie to investigate.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 20 March 2009 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

Reminds me of the guy who insists that the Odyssee and Ilias in reality are set around the Dutch and British coasts…

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 20 March 2009 09:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26371
Joined  2004-11-29

LOL  Government conspiracy in Western Australia!?  I don’t think that they could be that organised…

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 20 March 2009 11:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-14
Smerk - 21 March 2009 01:41 AM

LOL  Government conspiracy in Western Australia!?  I don’t think that they could be that organised…

Well, it’s by Broome.  So obviously they swept it under the rug.

Signature 

Posted: 21 March 2009 12:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23

I was trying to think of something to say about this, but words fail me. I am awestruck by this stupidity.

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 21 March 2009 12:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-14
Renquist - 21 March 2009 04:09 AM

I was trying to think of something to say about this, but words fail me. I am awestruck by this stupidity.

After all, everybody knows that he’s buried in the Glasgow Necropolis. The place even has a Greek name, after all!

Signature 

Posted: 21 March 2009 12:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-23

Round here he was called ‘Big Sandy’ and used to drink doon the Sara Heid.

Signature 

- Voltaire

Posted: 21 March 2009 12:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1108
Joined  2009-03-01

Nonsense. His spirit was obviously guided to Britain by Merlin, where he was reborn as King Arthur and then lived forever thanks to the Holy Grail.

Didn’t everyone know that?

Signature 

“It’s not that I don’t think that the government would try to hide dead aliens; it’s that I don’t think the government would succeed, since every time the government tries to do something secretly, as in the Iran-contra arms deal, it winds up displaying all the finesse and stealth of an exploding cigar at a state funeral.”

~Dave Barry

Posted: 21 March 2009 06:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-14
ZeldaQueen - 21 March 2009 04:36 AM

Nonsense. His spirit was obviously guided to Britain by Merlin, where he was reborn as King Arthur and then lived forever thanks to the Holy Grail.

No, no.  King Arthur was Jesus.  Who was pharaoh Tutankhamun.

Signature 

Posted: 21 March 2009 07:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-23
Accipiter - 21 March 2009 10:36 PM
ZeldaQueen - 21 March 2009 04:36 AM

No, no.  King Arthur was Jesus.  Who was pharaoh Tutankhamun.

Don’t be silly.

If he was Jesus it would be a bit over the top to start a quest just to find his cup, wouldn’t it? I mean he’d be making cabinets and things.

Signature 

- Voltaire

1 of 2