1 of 2
The Trouble With Boys?
Posted: 30 January 2006 06:26 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10965522/site/newsweek/?GT1=7538

Not a hoax but certainly a concern.  How many of you out there know of male children being given ritalin for ‘behavior problems’?  This article in Newsweek doesn’t address that, but I think it should have….it seems to go hand in hand with the kinds of difficulties our boys today are having.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 30 January 2006 10:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1167
Joined  2005-06-15

One major problem as I see it is that we need to focus on our childern as parents.  Kids are going to be different as male and female and one child to another.  We need to help the kids to adjust to the demands of school and the “real world”.  We also need to be prepared to not only to be involved in our children’s education but to pay for it also.  Do we really believe that education comes free?

Signature 

Beerrun all we need is a 10 and a fiver a car, keys, and a sober driver

Posted: 30 January 2006 10:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26371
Joined  2004-11-29

As this isn’t a hoax, and just a news item, I’ve moved it to the News section of the Forum.

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 31 January 2006 08:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17
I am an ex associate - 31 January 2006 03:52 AM

One major problem as I see it is that we need to focus on our childern as parents.  Kids are going to be different as male and female and one child to another.  We need to help the kids to adjust to the demands of school and the “real world”.  We also need to be prepared to not only to be involved in our children’s education but to pay for it also.  Do we really believe that education comes free?

Little boys have not been suddenly

Signature 

UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 31 January 2006 05:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1009
Joined  2004-12-01

I used to take ritalin, but it made me paranoid. So I stopped taking it. I find it stupid that I had to take that stuff because I had excess energy.

Signature 

A very wise woman once said, marriage is like a deck of cards.
You need a heart to love him,
A diamond to marry him,
A club to smash his fucking head in,
And a spade to bury the bastard.

Posted: 31 January 2006 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17
Absinthe for Brains aka Carmen - 31 January 2006 10:14 PM

I used to take ritalin, but it made me paranoid. So I stopped taking it. I find it stupid that I had to take that stuff because I had excess energy.

Thank you for stopping.  There are many children AND adults with excess energy, with difficulty with concentration because of that energy.  But routinely that energy is the result of a very active mind as well, one with potential to be more than routine. 

When ritalin was first introduced, my little brother was one of the first children to begin taking it.  At that time, during the 60s, little was known about this medication so the doses being given to him were far in excess from what is given today.  After taking it for 8 years, it was withdrawn from him.  By then he was in his teens and he had no idea what the ‘real’ world was supposed to be like.  He could not deal with reality….. it eventually killed him. 

There are other and better ways to channel natural energy in children.  One is helping them learn how to control and channel it.  Energy should never be wasted when it can be placed in a positive position.

Signature 

Posted: 31 January 2006 07:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  73
Joined  2005-11-06

As a psychologist and a teacher I should leave a detailed response here.  I am not going to though as I also have attention problems.  If you have children don’t give them drugs without doing research.  Oh dear I have read so many posts like this.  I don’t want to get into a big rant about drug companies etc.  My take on this is that we should all learn to accept individual differences - this is what makes us unique.  We should celebrate individual differences.  Ritalin for fck sake.  Give kids anything but.  Bless you Hulitoons.

Signature 

“I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.”—Douglas Adams

Posted: 31 January 2006 10:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1009
Joined  2004-12-01
hulitoons - 31 January 2006 11:51 PM
Absinthe for Brains aka Carmen - 31 January 2006 10:14 PM

Thank you for stopping.  There are many children AND adults with excess energy, with difficulty with concentration because of that energy.  But routinely that energy is the result of a very active mind as well, one with potential to be more than routine. 

When ritalin was first introduced, my little brother was one of the first children to begin taking it.  At that time, during the 60s, little was known about this medication so the doses being given to him were far in excess from what is given today.  After taking it for 8 years, it was withdrawn from him.  By then he was in his teens and he had no idea what the ‘real’ world was supposed to be like.  He could not deal with reality….. it eventually killed him. 

There are other and better ways to channel natural energy in children.  One is helping them learn how to control and channel it.  Energy should never be wasted when it can be placed in a positive position.

Thanks Hulitoons. The years I took ritalin were some of the worst in my life because I was silent and reserved and uncomfortable with everything around me, and on the rare occasion that I expressed my opinions, I was considered strange, because I was usually quiet. It also led to me having very few friends. It deminished my social life to almost nihil.

Signature 

A very wise woman once said, marriage is like a deck of cards.
You need a heart to love him,
A diamond to marry him,
A club to smash his fucking head in,
And a spade to bury the bastard.

Posted: 01 February 2006 11:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

“The years I took ritalin were some of the worst in my life because I was silent and reserved and uncomfortable with everything around me, and on the rare occasion that I expressed my opinions, I was considered strange, because I was usually quiet. It also led to me having very few friends. It deminished my social life to almost nihil.”

Carmen, I’m still considered ‘strange’

With great certainty, I would NEVER want to repeat my childhood, teen years-early youth or young adulthood.  They are still painfully vivid and I was not on any medication.  It takes every drop of what sanity and fuel is available at that time to wade and swim through the muck and mire of that phase for any human being.  Deliberately putting a ‘plug in the fuel tank’ is hardly the way to aid a chugging car forward. 

I do understand chemical inbalances do occur, but these instances are mighty rare, and while such sufferors need medical aid, this should be subsidized as well with therapy. 

I also understand parents who become exhausted by very active children, but I fear ritalin is being used as a tool of relief for the parent not the child.  In too many instances this use equates to thorazine use in mental institutions to keep a patient silent and inactive in lieu of straight jacket. 

I also learned a long time ago that ‘silence’ is ‘deadly’.  A child becoming justifiably quiet after a reprimand is normal, a ‘silent child’ is not.  Normally many parents worry about such constant silence and seek medical help for their child!

My little brother also had ‘strange’ opinions while in the world of ritalin, but I knew where they came from and why.  Sometimes the things he said were frightening to him not just me.

Signature 

Posted: 02 February 2006 04:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3174
Joined  2005-05-19

Do they only prescribe Ritalin in America? I’ve never encountered any kids over here in the UK being given drugs to stop them being hyperactive. I used to suffer from Hyperactivity when I was a child (26 now and I can still send myself loopy if I so wish, just eat lurid coloured sweets!) but it was all down to colourings and preservatives in food such as Sunset Yellow, Monosodium Glutomate, and other codes like E111 and E124 etc. As soon as I cut food out of my diet that contained these additives my behaviour improved and I started concentrating at school a lot more. I really think the American Doctors and parents alike should look at their kids diets instead of just taking the easy option and giving them drugs. When my friends from America came to stay last year I wa shocked at the amount of crap that they fed to their Kids, from the constant snacking on candy etc to the fact that all they drank all day was fizzy pop = recipie for disaster. (

N.B I know that this will not be the case for all parents in the US, I just think there is always an alternative to giving children mind-controlling drugs.

Signature 

“Never before in my time at the bar or on the bench have I ever had to deal with somebody who voluntarily allowed himself to be buggered by a dog on the public highway.”

Posted: 02 February 2006 04:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

...E124 etc…

Hey, that’s why Irn Bru use to send me loopy!

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 02 February 2006 05:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

No, that’s just because you are loopy, Boo.

It’s interesting how in America it’s considered necessary to give kids all this medication to make them behave, when in some countries where they don’t resort immediately to medication the children act better than American kids do.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

1 of 2