1 of 2
invalid inauguration?
Posted: 20 January 2009 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1624
Joined  2006-05-20

Just to head off the Conspiracy Theorist nutters who might jump on Obama’s stumbling over some of the words in the oath of office:

It doesn’t matter.  Legally, he became President of the United States at 12 noon E.T. regardless of the oath.

Didn’t one of these guys have a prediction that was supposed to come true before the inauguration?  Again, the misspoken words of the oath don’t nullify the inauguration of President Obama’s term.

Signature 

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

—Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

[color=green]“That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way.”

Posted: 20 January 2009 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
JoeDaJuggler - 20 January 2009 05:26 PM

Didn’t one of these guys have a prediction that was supposed to come true before the inauguration?

Indeed.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 21 January 2009 02:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Glad I wasn’t the only one who thought ‘the racist/conspiracy nutters are gonna have a field day over this…’ when he bobbled his lines.

But yes, as Joe said.. legally, he was already President when he took the oath, as they were running a little late.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 21 January 2009 08:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1624
Joined  2006-05-20

I can’t believe it.  Just to be safe, they re-did the oath.

At least that’s according to CNN’s “breaking news”.  There’s no story to link to, just this headline:

President Obama has retaken the oath of office after a mix-up during the inaugural ceremony, the White House says.

I just heard, not only does the 20th Amendment (that moved the inauguration to its current date) make it clear that the term begins at noon that day (oath or not), but historically, several presidents have just said “I do” to the oath.

Signature 

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

—Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

[color=green]“That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way.”

Posted: 21 January 2009 09:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
JoeDaJuggler - 22 January 2009 01:08 AM

I can’t believe it.  Just to be safe, they re-did the oath.

Eh, it’s only a little added effort to avoid potential future fuss.  I can see why they’d do it.  Even ceremony that doesn’t actually have legal bearing on things can be important when it comes to having people accept someone’s authority.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 21 January 2009 10:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1581
Joined  2004-11-10

Regardless of the flubbed oath, I was listening to the inauguration via CNN radio (I was at work) and they announced that Yo Yo Ma was about to play a piece written by John Williams for the occasion. Once the piece started though, it was very obviously Copland’s Appalachian Spring. That bothered me for the rest of the day.

Signature 

Fads they come and fads they go, but god I love that Rock & Roll!
-Modest Mouse

Posted: 21 January 2009 11:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  620
Joined  2005-06-30

Not written by Williams, but arranged by him, and it was the traditional American (?) tune Simple Gifts, which appears in Copland’s work. It was beautiful, but I prefer Copland’s version.

Posted: 22 January 2009 01:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3807
Joined  2008-09-08

It was arranged as Air and Simple Gifts, so it wasn’t just Copland’s (Brackett’s) work in there.

I rather liked it, though it helped to be able to see Perlman, Ma, and McGill grinning (or trying not to, in McGill’s case) at each other throughout the piece.

Posted: 22 January 2009 03:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Just so folks know: They went ahead and had Obama re-take the oath, just so nutters wouldn’t be frothing and flailing insanely.

At least, not about that.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 22 January 2009 03:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9104
Joined  2008-03-02

One thing that I noticed when I watched the speech this morning (was working yesterday, and debated whether I even wanted to watch at all) was that the woman who introduced Obama before he took the oath said that he took the “oaf” of office.

I watched that segment several times because I wasn’t sure I’d heard it correctly, but, yup, she said “oaf,” and I was watching her mouth at one point just to make sure.  I didn’t notice that she had a speech impediment, but my guess is that she merely misspoke herself—basically tried to say “oath” and “office” simultaneously, resulting in the small slip.

As for Obama messing up, it really was more to do with the Chief Justice’s slipups than with his own.  Not that it matters—he took the oath, and I hope he lives up to it.

Signature 

“Like a crazed Nigerian wearing LifeWave Energy Patches” (Nettie, on the night she “banned” me from the MoH!)

“What fools these mortals be…”—Smaug (according to Robert Asprin)

Visit here to help my dragons grow! Thanks!

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

Posted: 22 January 2009 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26043
Joined  2004-11-08

No nutters chiming in, huh?  Damn, if you want something done right…

JUSTISE ROBERTS CHANGED TEH OATH ADDING WORDS SO HELP YOU GOD WICH ARNT IN TEH CONSTITUTION SO INVALIDATING OBAMA AS PRESIDENT BECAUSE THE ILLUMINATI WANTS IT THIS WAY!

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 22 January 2009 11:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2009-01-17

teh illuminati are a figment of your imagination that they want you to believe is treu

1 of 2