2 of 3
Barack Obama’s Watches
Posted: 31 December 2008 06:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1624
Joined  2006-05-20
Robin Bobcat - 31 December 2008 09:39 AM

Joe: Go for a pocket watch. They have large faces, are almost invariably black and white, use no leather, won’t impede or be damaged by juggling, and look very stylish.

I got mine for $13. It’s a cheap quartz one, but it works very nicely. A ‘real’ wind-up one will set you back about $100, minimum, but most come with warranties, and make a good family heirloom.

The only drawback is I need to be able to glance at the watch when my hands are full and I’m jabbering away during a show.

I do like pocket watches.  I ought get one for my day-to-day use, then keep wristwatches in the drawer with the other small props I use in the show.

Signature 

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

—Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

[color=green]“That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way.”

Posted: 31 December 2008 06:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15029
Joined  2006-08-16
JoeDaJuggler - 31 December 2008 11:10 PM

The only drawback is I need to be able to glance at the watch when my hands are full and I’m jabbering away during a show.

Just incorporate pulling out a pocket watch and looking at it while juggling into your show. cheese

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 31 December 2008 09:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

I don’t wear a watch now.  I used to have one…a swiss army that was silver & brown leather.  It was so pretty.  But it was a “ladies” watch…which is of course…much daintier than a man’s watch.  And I am not dainty.  Not even at my wrists.  Although, my mom IS…I must have patriarchal wrists.  Anywho…I kept breaking the strap.  And eventually stopped getting it repaired.  I bent the little metal piece that holds the strap onto the face of the watch.  (It sort of looks like a toilet paper roll holder, if that makes sense.)  Once that was bent I couldn’t put it back together myself.  I had to buy a new piece or take it to someone for repair and I just wasn’t into that.  It’s been in my jewelry box for years.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 31 December 2008 11:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
Tah - 31 December 2008 11:39 PM
JoeDaJuggler - 31 December 2008 11:10 PM

Just incorporate pulling out a pocket watch and looking at it while juggling into your show. cheese

Or juggle clocks.  It could add new meaning to “time flies”.  Or alternately, to “time crashes to a halt and shatters into a million pieces”. . .

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 01 January 2009 02:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

I only ever bought one watch.  All the others I’ve worn have been little cheap ones that I ended up with one way or another, and that each served me well for many years.  The one that I actually bought was a relatively fancy one for probably about around $50, and I bought it because it had a silent alarm on it.  So currently I have a scattering of little wristwatches and pocketwatches, and the one fancyish one.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 01 January 2009 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05

I don’t wear watches either anymore.  If I’m at work, the time is on my computer. If I’m in my car, there’s a clock there.  My cell phone is always with me with the correct time at a glance. 

I noticed watch sales (I work at a jewelry store every Christmas) have been going steadily down over the years.  This year we sold very few.

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 01 January 2009 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

I actually have always wanted to get Jason a nice watch, b/c he does wear them when he has them.  If I could pick one right now…I get him this…

Fossil

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 02 January 2009 04:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5149
Joined  2005-01-27
JoeDaJuggler - 31 December 2008 03:59 AM

I have a watch problem.  I need a large, easy to see face (and I refuse to buy anything with a digital readout).  It’s amazing how many watches have gray hands on a gray background or silver on silver.  I’ve got super skinny wrists—so the regular men’s flex bands are not good for me.  Also, I’m vegetarian and try my best to avoid buying anything made of leather.  AND I tend to be rough on them (juggling shows mostly).

Lately, I get these cheap $5 plastic watches from Walgreens.  They’re mostly in girly colors, but there is a transparent one.  I get those. 

I don’t think a day goes by when someone doesn’t ask me if that’s a Swatch I’m wearing.

Get one of these then:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-MQ-24-7BLL-Analogue-Resin-Strap/dp/B000JNKABW/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=watch&qid=1229770831&sr=1-7

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 02 January 2009 04:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-27
silver caliber magnum - 31 December 2008 04:00 AM

OK but i dont know why watches wouldbe so much as a conspiracy.

A Secret Service watch with a $25 worth ticker inside… come on. There MUST be more than that.

Geeeezzz

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 02 January 2009 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26042
Joined  2004-11-08

It depresses me that even the SS watches are made in China.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 02 January 2009 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-27
Charybdis - 02 January 2009 03:59 PM

It depresses me that even the SS watches are made in China.

With a Japanese movement.
And still they wonder what happened in Pearl Harbour…

Signature 

Trust me.

2 of 3