1 of 3
Barack Obama’s Watches
Posted: 30 December 2008 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5151
Joined  2005-01-27

Watch collectors are different. We watch movies, read magazines, and study videos—not for the usual type of entertainment, not for the intended content—but to see which watches the stars and celebrities are wearing. Whether we are looking for Steve McQueen with an “orange hand” Rolex, trying to identify Jerry Seinfeld’s vintage Heuer Autavia, or seeing whether Paul Newman is wearing a “Paul Newman”, we focus on the watches.

So in the United States, in the year 2008, it is not surprising that there is a new subject of such intense horological focus. In September 2008, the most photographed and filmed person is no longer Tiger Woods with his TAG-Heuer (as he is recovering from knee surgery), and it is no longer Michael Phelps (as the Olympic torch has been doused). Rather, the most photographed person in the U.S. of A. in September 2008 seems to be the Democratic nominee for the U. S. Presidency, Senator Barack Obama.

So which watch does Barack Obama wear? That seems like a simple enough question. No sooner had he hit the campaign trail, in early 2007, than the “watch guys” started studying the photos, trying to identify his watch. And he was an easy study. With an image for being somewhat casual, and summertime tours through the Southern states, he often rolled up his sleeves. And when he rolled up his sleeves, the watch freaks saw a big, stylish watch . . . not the usual plastic Timex or Casio, so popular among those running for office (or in office), but a large, light-dialed sport style watch.

But was this watch? The discussion forums came alive. Most experts saw a light-dialed TAG-Heuer sports watch . . . probably either a Series 1000 or Series 2000 . . . one of the common quartz watches of the mid-1990’s.

Then suddenly, something strange happened late in the year 2007. In the place of this rather common TAG-Heuer, the experts spotted a huge black Panerai; others saw a black-dialed Carrera re-issue; and still others saw a Royal Oak, something that Governor Schwarzenegger might wear. Wow!! Could this be true? That rather than switching from the TAG-Heuer to the nondescript Timex or Casio, Senator Obama was actually stepping up his horological game? Could it be that he had gone from Wal-Mart to Wempe? What would the pollsters say? What would McCain say? Could this man of the people, the law professor and community organizer, be wearing a high-end Swiss watch? What would the Japanese say? Suddenly, the watch guys began to spread the rumor that Obama was also a watch guy!

This webpage will explore the mystery of Senator Barack Obama’s watches.

And so enters the Secret Service…

[size=1]PS I

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of´╗┐ our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 30 December 2008 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  22747
Joined  2006-03-29

Skagen here.

Signature 

Remember, remember… I am the ONE.

Posted: 30 December 2008 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5545
Joined  2007-03-14

Don’t wear one.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 30 December 2008 05:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15033
Joined  2006-08-16

Citizen Ecodrive at work.  Don’t generally wear a watch outside of work, though I have various inexpensive “novelty” watches.  And I have a Timex with a dual-time zone function that I wear when I travel.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 30 December 2008 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7525
Joined  2005-04-23

I just use my cell phone

Might as well, its not like I ever use it to call anyone

Signature 

Smerk the cutest dragon
Lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist
In Western Australi

Little Accipiter loved that girl enough
He told her jokes and crazy facts
And other forum stuff

Smerk the cutest dragon:
Traveled cross the sea,
To hunt her prey in foriegn lands,
And snuggle with Acci!

Smerk the cutest dragon
Is getting married now they say
Though little Accipiter
Has yet to name the day.

http://www.veshearman.com/

Posted: 30 December 2008 10:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6932
Joined  2005-10-21

I have oddly-aligned wrist bones that make wearing any watch uncomfortable. Runs in the family. I do have a nice pocketwatch I wear for formal occasions, though. Looks very nice with my vest.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 30 December 2008 10:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1581
Joined  2004-11-10

I’ve just got a fossil for my normal day and a Guess for when I dress up. Nothing special really. Funny because the rest of my family all own super expensive watches.

Signature 

Fads they come and fads they go, but god I love that Rock & Roll!
-Modest Mouse

Posted: 30 December 2008 10:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2501
Joined  2008-03-23

You have paws. Thats a good excuse.
Anyways this is the first conspiracy theory in quite a while that doesnt involve something bad.

Signature 

Why does spellcheck hate me?
GO HERE
Those who wish to fight, must now about eternal might. The blue skies turn red, Maybe it’s time you fled? Why wait for the army to strike when you know you don’t need to fight? Aren’t I right? The flower will bloom, and after the blue skies turn red, out comes your doom.
GO HERE….or else…My pets wont grow

Posted: 30 December 2008 10:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1624
Joined  2006-05-20

I have a watch problem.  I need a large, easy to see face (and I refuse to buy anything with a digital readout).  It’s amazing how many watches have gray hands on a gray background or silver on silver.  I’ve got super skinny wrists—so the regular men’s flex bands are not good for me.  Also, I’m vegetarian and try my best to avoid buying anything made of leather.  AND I tend to be rough on them (juggling shows mostly).

Lately, I get these cheap $5 plastic watches from Walgreens.  They’re mostly in girly colors, but there is a transparent one.  I get those. 

I don’t think a day goes by when someone doesn’t ask me if that’s a Swatch I’m wearing.

Signature 

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

—Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

[color=green]“That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way.”

Posted: 30 December 2008 11:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2501
Joined  2008-03-23

OK but i dont know why watches wouldbe so much as a conspiracy.

Signature 

Why does spellcheck hate me?
GO HERE
Those who wish to fight, must now about eternal might. The blue skies turn red, Maybe it’s time you fled? Why wait for the army to strike when you know you don’t need to fight? Aren’t I right? The flower will bloom, and after the blue skies turn red, out comes your doom.
GO HERE….or else…My pets wont grow

Posted: 31 December 2008 04:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6932
Joined  2005-10-21

Joe: Go for a pocket watch. They have large faces, are almost invariably black and white, use no leather, won’t impede or be damaged by juggling, and look very stylish.

I got mine for $13. It’s a cheap quartz one, but it works very nicely. A ‘real’ wind-up one will set you back about $100, minimum, but most come with warranties, and make a good family heirloom.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 31 December 2008 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

I have the same type Casio watch for 20 years now (replaced it once with a new one when the old one broke down).

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

1 of 3